• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Discontinued Products

Marlene

Ben and Jerry's Cranberry Orange Sorbet. It was so good, and so refreshing.

That does sound good. This also reminds me of a favorite Haagen Daz flavor of old: Margarita Sorbet

It really tasted of lime and tequila and had it great texture. It was also nice to have with a splash of tequila over it in the summer. <sigh>

Maybe I have two sorbet recipes to try and replicate now!

Oh! That reminds me - does anyone other than me remember a drink, made from frozen concentrate I'm pretty sure, called Grape-Lemon? Or is it really just a hallucination? No one else I've mentioned it to remembers it at all. Circa 1963, give or take.

I really miss the original, unimproved Fresca -- that lovely melding of citrus, saccherine with flavour notes of aluminum and bismuth. I suppose it's just nostalgia for after-school hearts tournaments, the Stones on the stereo, but the "new" Fresca simply tastes bland.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Jello Pudding Pops.

That reminds me, I need to finish my Pudding Pop Experiment

Ditto. Oh lord how I miss that sweet, sweet, frozen pudding goodness.

Ok, nobody pee your pants...but pudding pops appear to be back on the market, at least in NC. The Husband and I were in the frozen goods and looked over, and right next to the sugar free fudgesicles (Milhouse, it's FUDGE-sickles, not Fudgicles), there they were. Pudding Pops. I could not get them (Lent), but The Husband and I were jumping up and down like little kids, we were so excited. Damn I love those things.

So be on the lookout.

"Eat the pudding"

Does anyone remember Pudding Roll Ups? Like fruit roll ups, only with pudding. I do not miss those.

I miss Chillie Willies. Husband does as well.

JennotJenn,

WHERE IN NC? I live in NC and I NEED pudding pops. Which grocery store? Please tell!

SML

Edit: And yes, nice Simpsons quote...saw that one the other day. Maybe we're watching the same network? :biggrin:

WB at 6 PM? :laugh:

OK, they have them at the Food Lion at the intersection of Hwy 70 and Lynn Road in Raleigh. Popsicle markets them. If you don't live in Raleigh, check out your local Lion. If they don't have them, they'll probably special order them for you. FWIW, I used to hate the Lion, but they have improved dramatically in the past year.

Good luck in your search!

Yes, the WB at 6!!

I live in south Raleigh/north Cary, so I'll try the one down here first, but desperation may drive me north!!

SML

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

Looks to me like I haven't posted on this thread yet. When I was in college, my favorite Haagen Dazs ice cream was Elberta Peach, with real peaches in it (one time, I got a bit of pit from one container). I'm sorry they discontinued it. Just recently, though, I've noticed a new "Peaches and Cream" flavor. If it sticks around long enough, I'll try it.

Michael aka "Pan"

OMG, I still dream of HD Elberta Peach. :sad: The Peaches and Cream last year at the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory (on the pier by the Brooklyn Bridge, next to Bargemusic) was good, but HD's had these HUGE chunks of fruit. sigh.

I loved Laura Scudder's and Granny Goose's Barbecue cornchips. They both don't make them anymore. In fact, I'm not even sure if Laura Scudder's still exists.

And I really really hate Frito's barbecue cornchips.

And I really really hate Frito's barbecue cornchips.

Oh yes, I agree with that. Complete nastiness!!! :wacko:

There were some kind of fruit chews in the 80s that came in a purple package that I LOVED! Don't know what happened to them...I think it's the same company as the pudding roll ups.

Remember the Lays Taste of America line last year? The BBQ one they had was excellent. Then it suddenly disappeared. Best late night snack in a LONG TIME!

SML

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

I really miss Hagen Daz Vanilla Orange (sobet) Swirl ice cream.and their Margarita sorbet

It seems Häagen-Dazs is big on discontinuing good flavors. In addition to the two you have listed, others have mentioned Elberta Peach, plus my favorite chocolate gelato which I posted previously (they say they still make the chocolate gelato, but I haven't seen it anywhere in quite awhile). I also find it annoying that I can only find their Belgian chocolate in a few of their ice cream shops, I have never seen it in the stores.

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

I really miss Hagen Daz Vanilla Orange (sobet) Swirl ice cream.and their Margarita sorbet
It seems Häagen-Dazs is big on discontinuing good flavors. In addition to the two you have listed, others have mentioned Elberta Peach, plus my favorite chocolate gelato which I posted previously (they say they still make the chocolate gelato, but I haven't seen it anywhere in quite awhile). I also find it annoying that I can only find their Belgian chocolate in a few of their ice cream shops, I have never seen it in the stores.

I think it's part of the marketing plan, not just for one super-premium ice cream maker, but for all. They think most people are always cruising for new flavors (they may be right), so they continually churn their product line. It's the exception rather than the rule when a flavor becomes permanent.

I was about to say, "I have!" when I suddenly remembered, no it was Godiva's Belgian Dark Chocolate which I found so marvelous. And which was one of the few things my mother would eat during her last illness. There was a lovely version with raspberries in it too, I remember....

Oh, and for those longing for H-D Elberta Peach - obviously this is not at all the same, not at all at all, but for marvelously peachy peachiness in a different kind of Something Cold, do try Edy's Whole Fruit Peach Sorbet. Your palate will thank you. Pour a little cream over it and maybe you won't care any more about the lost H-D EP.

Lu's Le Bastogne cookies (or at least, I can't find them anymore!)

Come to New Jersey!

Or Maine. At least, I found them in Maine over Christmas.

Those are good cookies.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

There was (is?) a flat cookie with raisin filling, crisp and thin. Each pack had two or three layers and each layer was scribed into two or three pieces. What were they called and are they still around? I seem to recall Nabisco, but don't really know.

Thanks all that have attested to the continued existence of Good Humor Toasted Almond Bars-- I live south of San Francisco. I need to broaden my search a bit--or else just have some when I visit back East I guess...

Ludja~ don't know if these are the same or even similar, since I've never had a Good Humor anything,but Von's (Safeway up there I guess) has some icecream bars now under I believe, the Safeway Select name that are vanilla icecream covered with milkchocolate and almonds. They're pretty yummy! They also make them with coffee icecream. They come 3 to a package.

There was (is?) a flat cookie with raisin filling, crisp and thin. Each pack had two or three layers and each layer was scribed into two or three pieces. What were they called and are they still around? I seem to recall Nabisco, but don't really know.

Sultana's. Haven't seen them in years, but haven't looked either... :smile:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I can't believe I forgot these: the Keebler French Vanilla Creme Sandwich Cookies!! Best packaged cookie ever. I used to get a bag and put them in the freezer and go through them slowly. Then one time I went to get them and they weren't in any grocery. I checked the Keebler website and sure enough they'd been discontinued. I'm still pissed.... :angry:

SML

Thanks all that have attested to the continued existence of Good Humor Toasted Almond Bars-- I live south of San Francisco.  I need to broaden my search a bit--or else just have some when I visit back East I guess...

Ludja~ don't know if these are the same or even similar, since I've never had a Good Humor anything,but Von's (Safeway up there I guess) has some icecream bars now under I believe, the Safeway Select name that are vanilla icecream covered with milkchocolate and almonds. They're pretty yummy! They also make them with coffee icecream. They come 3 to a package.

Sounds good, but oh no no no it isn't the same at all. A Good Humor Toasted Almond has not a breath of chocolate about it; as the name implies it is covered with toasted almond, but it also has at its core the thing that gives it its distinctive flavor: a lump of some sort of almond paste, almost marzipan-ish but quite a different texture - though now I think of it the difference in texture may just be because it's frozen. I adored these when I was a little kid, but it wasn't until I tasted one again a couple of years ago that I felt the thrill of recognition and identified that prussic-acid center!

There was (is?) a flat cookie with raisin filling, crisp and thin.  Each pack had two or three layers and each layer was scribed into two or three pieces.  What were they called and are they still around?  I seem to recall Nabisco, but don't really know.

Sultana's. Haven't seen them in years, but haven't looked either... :smile:

Sultanas are still around. I've recently seen them at the International Farmer's Market here in Atlanta when I was looking for some galletas for my mom that had the same name (btw, anyone seen the Sultanas I'm looking for? They seem to be made by some Colombian company called Noel S.A.).

One of my discontinued items is Pepperidge Farm's Irish Oatmeal Cookies. I loved those things. Super buttery and NO RAISINS! Perfect with ice cold milk. *sigh*

Edited by tharrison (log)

"I like butter and the people who like butter." -TA

They may not truly be gone, but for us they might as well be.

Howard Johnson's chicken croquettes.

There are only a few HoJo's left and none of them are near where we live (northern VA).

Can at least buy frozen White Castle sliders, but no luck with the chicken croquettes.

At least with the sliders there are knockoff recipes that are pretty good. But have never found a HoJo chicken croquette recipe.

If anyone knows of one, would be very grateful.

Oh, yes, and if anyone wants to find a source of Junket, try vermontcountrystore.com.

Ben and Jerry's (or should I say Unilever?) must be the all-time champeens of torture-through-discontinuation (though they prefer the term "retirement"). They even have a page on their site devoted to the Dearly Departed:

B&J's Retired Flavors

Two that I miss deeply are Cool Britannia (strawberry ice cream with chocolate-covered shortbread) and Tuskegee Chunk (peanut butter ice cream with huge dark chocolate chunks). I know that they were recently making something called Peanut Butter Cup, which was (is?) peanut butter ice cream with chunks of peanut butter cups. Just not the same....lacks the subtlety of Tuskegee Chunk.

And boy, do I remember Sultanas. Best (like Peeps) when slightly stale.

• 3 weeks later...

the old kuhn rikon peeler with the big hole in the handle. i'm still using my old dull one because i can't hold the new ones the way i'm used to

"i bet you smell like strawberry ice cream... the good kind" - e.dunn

Ben and Jerry's (or should I say Unilever?) must be the all-time champeens of torture-through-discontinuation (though they prefer the term "retirement").

B & J's Rainforest Crunch... sigh

Edited by thursdaynext (log)

"A good dinner is of great importance to good talk. One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." Virginia Woolf

Two that I miss deeply are Cool Britannia (strawberry ice cream with chocolate-covered shortbread) and Tuskegee Chunk (peanut butter ice cream with huge dark chocolate chunks).

Oohhh... Cool Britannia. Thanks for reminding me!!

Dairy Queen used to make a "Rocky Road" Blizzard that had little chocolate-covered marshmallows in it... but they were crunchy marshmallows, like Lucky Charms marshmallows!! I wish I could get my hands on a few of those little treasures!

Prego spaghetti and 'meat' sauce in the jar

Festivus

Sharwood's Indian Chutney Sauce (like HP sauce, but sweeter and more malty)

The old Chips Ahoy chewy chocolate chip cookies that left an interesting scum on the roof of your mouth

The old fashioned large rectangular pepperoni Pizza Pockets with the supersweet tomato sauce

:wub:

Edited by marezion (log)