• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Discontinued Products

Marlene

prune whip yogurt

Here in Canada (in Vancouver at any rate) you can get a terrific organic yogurt from Liberte (from Quebec) that comes in a prune/walnut flavour. It's terrific!

Liberte also makes an unflavoured yogurt called Mediterranee which has a 10% fat content. It's probably extremely bad for you, but WOW is it wonderful.

oh, and New West Buffalo Hot Polishes. dang those things were good.

Oh oh oh, I wish you hadn't reminded me! Thorn Apple Valley used to make a spicy kielbasa that I loved - just perfect for the lentil and sausage salad that, alas, just won't ever be quite the same without it. They dropped it a couple of years ago, for no apparent reason. WAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

Haagendazs Chocolate Gelato (apparently the company still makes it, but I can't find it anywhere).

Pepperidge Farm Chocolate Brownie Nut Cookies

Altadena full fat yogurt made with cream (boysenberry, strawberry, raspberry, etc)

Oreo ice cream sandwiches (giant ice cream sandwiches with oreo cookies and vanilla-oreo ice cream inside).

Lucky Cakes (my favorite as a kid).

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Recently, someone asked me to find the cereal, Wheatena. I couldn't find it in any store, but I found it on the web at HomeTownFavorites. com. They had a few other things that I hadn't seen in a while.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

Bigbear, I think I've got some Wheatena in my kitchen cabinet -- of course, it's probably at least 5 years old, since we are not that big on hot cereal, except for oatmeal. Gee, I hope it's not gone; there are times when that chewy, stick-in-your-throatness are just what you want!

oh, and New West Buffalo Hot Polishes.  dang those things were good.

Oh oh oh, I wish you hadn't reminded me! Thorn Apple Valley used to make a spicy kielbasa that I loved - just perfect for the lentil and sausage salad that, alas, just won't ever be quite the same without it. They dropped it a couple of years ago, for no apparent reason. WAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

god that sausage sounds good too.

i'm absolutely heartbroken about the hot polishes. they were a combo of beef and buffalo and had 16gs of protein per sausage. it made the perfect hot dog for me to eat for dinner on an ezekiel hot dog bun, and feel like i was cheating without cheating.

*sigh*

I can remember thoroughly enjoying toasted Dutch Apple Pop Tarts when I was a kid. Even now, I will get the odd craving for one, but alas, they no longer exist. :sad:

[note: I can't actually remember the last time I ate a Pop Tart, so this particular craving is extremely bizarre.]

Molasses Crisps were my favorites. Brownie Nut's gone too? i'm surprised.

the original Breakfast Bars and Breakfast Squares.

I have a friend (fellow eGulleteer) who loves candy bars and chips. She fell in love with dark chocolate Kit Kat bars and they were produced on a limited run... when they were gone they were gone.

Dark chocolate Kit Kat bars are still around Montreal. I just got some.

-Steve

The Pop Tart post made me remember the chocolate graham Pop Tarts. Not the nasty S'mores ones. These were more like choclate filled graham crackers. There was one grocery store in Chattanooga that carried them when I was in college. The store closed and I haven't seen them anywhere in ten years. :hmmm:

Victoria Raschke, aka ms. victoria

Eat Your Heart Out: food memories, recipes, rants and reviews

Oreo ice cream sandwiches (giant ice cream sandwiches with oreo cookies and vanilla-oreo ice cream inside).

Yum....those giant Oreo ice cream sandwiches are my favorite!

They still carry them around here, so they're definitely still in production.....you might want to try requesting them from your grocer - they might start stocking them!

...my beloved Vidalia Onion Vinaigrette, which is the best thing ever. "

Happy to report that almost every Costco I've ever been in sells this--although they have changed the packaging from the wine bottle shape to a shorter/stouter bottle--same great dressing, though! :smile:

Oh, and it's only sold in a 2-pack...you always have a backup that way!!

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Three things I miss...

1. WAHOOS snack food from General Mills. Original flavored. The last batch was produced in July of 2003. They were SO good. Anyone else try these?

2. The old MARATHON candy bars. Simply caramel and chocolate. DELICIOUS!

3. The ORIGINAL Whatchamacallit candy bar, before they added the caramel. WAY better than they are now.

I spoke with General Mills a few minutes before finding this thread, which is why I know the exact date of the demise of WAHOOS.

-drew

www.drewvogel.com

"Now I'll tell you what, there's never been a baby born, at least never one come into the Firehouse, who won't stop fussing if you stick a cherry in its face." -- Jack McDavid, Jack's Firehouse restaurant

Yum....those giant Oreo ice cream sandwiches are my favorite!

They still carry them around here, so they're definitely still in production.....you might want to try requesting them from your grocer - they might start stocking them!

I thought they were gone forever! Do you know who the manufacturer is?

Molasses Crisps were my favorites. Brownie Nut's gone too? i'm surprised.

the original Breakfast Bars and Breakfast Squares.

Yeah, the Brownie Nut's been gone for many years now. They were my favorite!

Recently, someone asked me to find the cereal, Wheatena. I couldn't find it in any store, but I found it on the web at HomeTownFavorites. com. They had a few other things that I hadn't seen in a while.

Wheatena's still around. It's sold in all the supermarkets where I live.

Two things I miss:

Ben and Jerry's Cranberry Orange Sorbet. It was so good, and so refreshing.

Mint Royals from M&Ms. I don't think these ever made it to a national market, but I lived in the test market area when I was in college. They were M&Ms, green and dark brown colors only, with mint flavoring. The mint M&Ms come close, but they only sell those around the holidays.

Heck, I still have a coupon from the back of one of the Mint Royals bags just to prove they DID exist, since no one else seems to have heard of them. (And it has no expiration date, just in case they ever come back.)

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Jello Pudding Pops.

That reminds me, I need to finish my Pudding Pop Experiment

I mourn these frequently...such an integral part of my childhood. Sigh. And freezing jello pudding isn't the same...

SML

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

Jello Pudding Pops.

Ditto. Oh lord how I miss that sweet, sweet, frozen pudding goodness.

Ok, nobody pee your pants...but pudding pops appear to be back on the market, at least in NC. The Husband and I were in the frozen goods and looked over, and right next to the sugar free fudgesicles (Milhouse, it's FUDGE-sickles, not Fudgicles), there they were. Pudding Pops. I could not get them (Lent), but The Husband and I were jumping up and down like little kids, we were so excited. Damn I love those things.

So be on the lookout.

"Eat the pudding"

Does anyone remember Pudding Roll Ups? Like fruit roll ups, only with pudding. I do not miss those.

I miss Chillie Willies. Husband does as well.

JennotJenn,

WHERE IN NC? I live in NC and I NEED pudding pops. Which grocery store? Please tell!

SML

Edit: And yes, nice Simpsons quote...saw that one the other day. Maybe we're watching the same network? :biggrin:

Edited by sml311 (log)

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

I thought they were gone forever! Do you know who the manufacturer is?

Yup!

Oreo Ice Cream Sandwiches are made by Klondike. Hope you find them! :biggrin:

Thanks, Lorea, I hope so too!!!

Jello Pudding Pops.

Ditto. Oh lord how I miss that sweet, sweet, frozen pudding goodness.

Ok, nobody pee your pants...but pudding pops appear to be back on the market, at least in NC. The Husband and I were in the frozen goods and looked over, and right next to the sugar free fudgesicles (Milhouse, it's FUDGE-sickles, not Fudgicles), there they were. Pudding Pops. I could not get them (Lent), but The Husband and I were jumping up and down like little kids, we were so excited. Damn I love those things.

So be on the lookout.

"Eat the pudding"

Does anyone remember Pudding Roll Ups? Like fruit roll ups, only with pudding. I do not miss those.

I miss Chillie Willies. Husband does as well.

JennotJenn,

WHERE IN NC? I live in NC and I NEED pudding pops. Which grocery store? Please tell!

SML

Edit: And yes, nice Simpsons quote...saw that one the other day. Maybe we're watching the same network? :biggrin:

WB at 6 PM? :laugh:

OK, they have them at the Food Lion at the intersection of Hwy 70 and Lynn Road in Raleigh. Popsicle markets them. If you don't live in Raleigh, check out your local Lion. If they don't have them, they'll probably special order them for you. FWIW, I used to hate the Lion, but they have improved dramatically in the past year.

Good luck in your search!

Gourmet Anarchy

Ben and Jerry's Cranberry Orange Sorbet. It was so good, and so refreshing.

That does sound good. This also reminds me of a favorite Haagen Daz flavor of old: Margarita Sorbet

It really tasted of lime and tequila and had it great texture. It was also nice to have with a splash of tequila over it in the summer. <sigh>

Maybe I have two sorbet recipes to try and replicate now!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"