• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Discontinued Products

Marlene

I have a friend (fellow eGulleteer) who loves candy bars and chips. She fell in love with dark chocolate Kit Kat bars and they were produced on a limited run... when they were gone they were gone. Then she discovered Cape Cod Chips jalapeno and aged cheddar flavor. They introduced it this past fall and quickly stopped production. I inquired at their company store and was told - "we make them once in awhile - keep checking back". Yeah right.

Jello Pudding Pops.

That reminds me, I need to finish my Pudding Pop Experiment

Ditto. Oh lord how I miss that sweet, sweet, frozen pudding goodness.

Ok, nobody pee your pants...but pudding pops appear to be back on the market, at least in NC. The Husband and I were in the frozen goods and looked over, and right next to the sugar free fudgesicles (Milhouse, it's FUDGE-sickles, not Fudgicles), there they were. Pudding Pops. I could not get them (Lent), but The Husband and I were jumping up and down like little kids, we were so excited. Damn I love those things.

So be on the lookout.

"Eat the pudding"

Does anyone remember Pudding Roll Ups? Like fruit roll ups, only with pudding. I do not miss those.

I miss Chillie Willies. Husband does as well.

Gourmet Anarchy

There used to be an amazing thing called Maya Maize that we sprinkled on popcorn. It had parmesan cheese, lemon powder, and I can't remember what else. It was fabulous. Googling only produces results relating to the gods of the Mayans.

First Trader Joe's discontinued carring lemon olive oil. Then they stopped carrying my beloved Vidalia Onion Vinaigrette, which is the best thing ever. Last time I went in, they'd stopped carrying the Consorzio Baja Lime Marinade (luckily I can still get that at Safeway).

CURSE TJ's! They carry the foulest, most abominable frozen mushroom soup (frozen phlegm, if you ask me) but stopped carrying those three fantastic products. I have registered a formal protest but have not received a response.

There used to be an amazing thing called Maya Maize that we sprinkled on popcorn. It had parmesan cheese, lemon powder, and I can't remember what else. It was fabulous. Googling only produces results relating to the gods of the Mayans.

Try here: Bearfoods. There seems to be something wrong with the main site, but I think all the info you'd need is in the doc.

First Trader Joe's discontinued carring lemon olive oil. Then they stopped carrying my beloved Vidalia Onion Vinaigrette, which is the best thing ever. Last time I went in, they'd stopped carrying the Consorzio Baja Lime Marinade (luckily I can still get that at Safeway).

There are a number of companies making Lemon Olive Oil.

My favorite is made by DaVero because their process presses the olives with Meyer Lemons so you get the OIL from the lemon, not an infusion of lemon JUICE.

CURSE TJ's! They carry the foulest, most abominable frozen mushroom soup (frozen phlegm, if you ask me) but stopped carrying those three fantastic products. I have registered a formal protest but have not received a response.

Google is just amazing.

Here is a link I found on Google (the very last site listed!) that leads to a document from what looks like a grocery store/supplier that lists Maya Maize as one of its products: Clickety

They list a phone number so you can call to see if the product is still available.

If it is, order a case of the stuff! :laugh:

Maya Maize Popcorn Spice was made by a company called Nile Spice. I say "was" because according to this web site the company was bought up by Quaker Oats after a fierce bidding war with Campbell's Soup.

I tried Trader Joe's Crab Bisque (which is Carb Bisque if you're not watching what you're typing :laugh: ) and was very disappointed. Not even a splash of dry sherry could save it. Blech! Something about the spices just turned me off.

I miss Snyder's of Hanover's Steak and Onion Potato Chips. They used to be listed on their web site but they are gone now. The chips were as salty as heck but, man, they were good!

edited to add: balmagowry, re: the Google search...like minds, etc!

Anyone ever hear of FroogleGoogle? It's in beta testing now. It searches specifically for products as opposed to sites (but it didn't find Maya Maize :angry: )

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

edited to add: balmagowry, re: the Google search...like minds, etc!

True. But when I googled it my search produced only two results - that being the second. The key was putting "Maya Maize" in quotation marks - then narrowing the search by adding "popcorn" outside the quoted string, on the assumption that if that was what it was for, that was what a good hit would probably mention. Saved a lot of scrolling! :wink:

Anyone ever hear of FroogleGoogle?  It's in beta testing now.  It searches specifically for products as opposed to sites (but it didn't find Maya Maize :angry: )

Yup. It's pretty handy - finds quite a few things Google doesn't... but misses a lot too. But it makes a great adjunct to other search and shopping engines - it always comes up with hits that no one else finds.

There are a number of companies making Lemon Olive Oil.

My favorite is made by DaVero because their process presses the olives with Meyer Lemons so you get the OIL from the lemon, not an infusion of lemon JUICE.

I know. It's just that theirs was really Italian-y lemony, and only $2.49 a bottle. I used it all the time to make Patricia Wells's recipe for pollo diavolo, which is a Tuscan recipe marinating chicken breasts in lemon juice, olive oil and tons of ground black pepper, then grilling.

I do have some Meyer lemon oil but it doesn't taste like the Italian stuff, obviously.

I just got off the phone with Bear Foods. They don't have Maya Maize... I didn't expect them to, because it's been years since I've seen it. Waaaaaah. (Thanks, y'all, for trying to help.)

Speaking of Pudding Pops, do they still make those Jello pops that were made of some whipped Jello gelatin substance? Oh how I loooooved those as a kid, and I haven't seen any in ages.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

True. But when I googled it my search produced only two results - that being the second. The key was putting "Maya Maize" in quotation marks - then narrowing the search by adding "popcorn" outside the quoted string, on the assumption that if that was what it was for, that was what a good hit would probably mention. Saved a lot of scrolling! :wink:

Ah, my search was for popcorn "Maya Maize", hence the different results.

Another discontinued product I miss:

Sunshine's Lemon Cooler Cookies

There's a knock-off recipe in one of the "Top Secret Recipes" books, but buying them was soooo much easier.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Good Humor Toasted Almond Ice Cream Bar

A favorite item when I was a kid.   I was really pysched to see them in stores a few years ago for occasional flavor trips down memory lane.  Around here anyway, can't get them anymore.  They only have the strawberry and fudge shortcakes...   :sad:

Even sadder is me peeking into ice cream coolers in a supermarket, gas station, etc and beng disappointed each time... :wub:

ludja,

don't know where you live, but my local grocery in NJ still carries the Toasted Almond bars.

See the Good Humor Website and they are still listed too

ICE CREAM

Keep on looking and you will find! :biggrin:

Thanks all that have attested to the continued existence of Good Humor Toasted Almond Bars-- I live south of San Francisco. I need to broaden my search a bit--or else just have some when I visit back East I guess...

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Another discontinued product I miss:

Sunshine's Lemon Cooler Cookies

There's a knock-off recipe in one of the "Top Secret Recipes" books, but buying them was soooo much easier.

I really like those too!!! Those are one of the few store bought cookies I would still buy...with those little bright artificial ,yellow, lemon-flavored specks in there and covered in powdered sugar....

I have made some home made cookies that are a reasonable fascimile (and all told, a better cookie) but had some trouble balancy lemony-enough flavors with too much bitterness from the lemon zest...

I can't remember the brand of this other cookie though...haven't seen it out here in CA for a while but don't know if it is extinct. They consisted of two plain butter cookies with a hole in one. Sandwiched in between was currant jelly with a cream vanila spread underneath. They came in a long narrow package in a plastic tray...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Ah, my search was for popcorn "Maya Maize", hence the different results.

Verily I say unto you, :raz::raz::raz: ! I don't presume to teach my betters the finer points of Googling, fer sher - but it's amazing how many otherwise savvy people don't bother to refine search strings that way, and since your post implied a long and arduous search with the pot of Mayan gold only at the end of a very loooooong rainbow, here I thought I was being, ahem, helpful, while showing off at the same time. Oh well :deep sigh:. No good deed goes unpunished. :nother deep sigh accompanied by martyred expression which fools nobody:

There was a boxed cookie/cake mix product available for a few years when I was growing up that is now discontinued, and haunts me to this day.

I think it was called Oatmeal Jumbles. Peanut Butter was the best flavor. MMM. Like a cross between a soft brownie and an oatmeal cookie. It actually tasted like something that could have been homemade.

About 4 years ago Oreo came out with a cookie that turned your tngue blue when you ate them. The cream was still white, with some wonderful chemical added to cause the color change. The advertising campaign was about turning your milk blue, but one bite and your whole mouth changed colors!

I loved those pudding pops. The vanilla chocolate swirled were my favorite.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe