• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Discontinued Products

Marlene

My very favourite chip was the Lay's Hot Spicy BBQ chips. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed I couldn't find them in any store I went to. I wrote to Lays and they wrote back to tell me that this flavour has been discontinued. :angry: . This is the story of my life I think. Just when I find a brand or a product I really like, the makers discontinue it. I can't be the only one who likes this stuff.

Anyone have similar peeves?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

That's one more reason to make your own chips.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Thomas's English Muffins with cranberries. They still have all the other ones -- blueberries, maple syrup, cinnamon raisin, you-name-it -- but they discontinued the cranberries for whatever reason. They were my favorite nosh. Now I just eat the plain ones. Devastating.

prune whip yogurt

Really?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

I've never thought of those flavours together. But they would work.

Thomas's English Muffins with cranberries. They still have all the other ones -- blueberries, maple syrup, cinnamon raisin, you-name-it -- but they discontinued the cranberries for whatever reason. They were my favorite nosh. Now I just eat the plain ones. Devastating.

Well, that's two of us. Actually three: also He Who Only Eats, as well.

But today at my local Food Emporium, I saw for the first time in several years, OAT BRAN English muffins. I never believed they have any particular health benefits, but they taste good. Welcome back. :biggrin:

And not just prune whip (Dannon, 40 years ago before it got all popular) -- mandarin orange, too.

The whole point is: if WE like them, of course no one else will, since our taste is so clearly superior to the average eater's. :hmmm:

This is way too popular in Japan, they often market products for a single season, never to bring them back again or else changed in some way.

The most noticeable are the drinks especially beer, each company puts out a "new" spring beer, summer beer, fall, beer, or winter beer. I don't drink beer so could care less actually but one summer I found this wonderful raspberry tea (not like that crappy American heavily sweetened stuff, the Jaapnese normally don't sweeten their teas) and drank it every chance I could get and sure enough once fall hit it was gone never to be seen again.

My local co-op also used to have these delicious ground meat and cabbage croquettes breaded and frozen, all you had to do was deep fry them, they were great on busy days and the kids and myself devoured them. I bought a pack at least once a month and suddenly 2 years ago they were gone! :sad:

The Japanese have this prune-yogurt drink that is really, really good!

That one is still there! :biggrin: For now at least :wacko:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

That reminds me, I need to finish my Pudding Pop Experiment

That's right, we haven't made smoked pudding pops. When was it that your were coming over for that? Don't make me challenge your dedication. :raz:

Edited by col klink (log)

• 1 year later...
prune whip yogurt

Yes!! I can fake it pretty well...plain yogurt with prune butter mixed in it. But it's not as good as the Breakstone's was. It was Breakstones, yes?--Ooops...just saw a post similar to mine...sorry! :wacko:

Edited by Pickles (log)

Good Humor Toasted Almond Ice Cream Bar

A favorite item when I was a kid. I was really pysched to see them in stores a few years ago for occasional flavor trips down memory lane. Around here anyway, can't get them anymore. They only have the strawberry and fudge shortcakes... :sad:

Even sadder is me peeking into ice cream coolers in a supermarket, gas station, etc and beng disappointed each time... :wub:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

A favorite item when I was a kid.  I was really pysched to see them in stores a few years ago for occasional flavor trips down memory lane.  Around here anyway, can't get them anymore.  They only have the strawberry and fudge shortcakes...  :sad:

Even sadder is me peeking into ice cream coolers in a supermarket, gas station, etc and beng disappointed each time... :wub:

ludja,

don't know where you live, but my local grocery in NJ still carries the Toasted Almond bars.

See the Good Humor Website and they are still listed too

ICE CREAM

Keep on looking and you will find! :biggrin:

A favorite item when I was a kid. I was really pysched to see them in stores a few years ago for occasional flavor trips down memory lane. Around here anyway, can't get them anymore. They only have the strawberry and fudge shortcakes... :sad:

we still have those here in Michigan!

Love them.

where do you live?

prune whip yogurt

Yes! Yes! I thought I was the only one who remembered it. I make my own now, with lekvar in a jar from... from... somewhere. It's good, but I haven't found the perfect yogurt to go with it - the texture isn't right yet. Shall go back to the yogurt thread and study more closely.

I've never thought of those flavours together. But they would work.

They do, ohhhhh they do. Sometimes when feeling decadent I also put in some chunky apricot jam. Very naughty. Sooo good. Think I have to have some NOW.

(BTW I think it wasn't actually lekvar but prune whip, which is a slightly different animal - lekvar makes a very good substitute, though.)

Edited by balmagowry (log)

And not just prune whip (Dannon, 40 years ago before it got all popular) -- mandarin orange, too.

And boysenberry - don't forget boysenberry.

The whole point is: if WE like them, of course no one else will, since our taste is so clearly superior to the average eater's.  :hmmm:

I'm afraid that is but too true, proven a thousand times over. :sad:

They still have 'em here, and you can still buy them off the trucks in NYC. And they still taste the way they did when you were 10. Now you know where to go for your next vacation....

(BTW, the prune whip yogurt was Dannon - back in those days they were the only people trying to sell yogurt at all.)