• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner Cabaret Suggestions?

Scott

Does anyone know of a venue in london that has entertainment as well as food.

Have guests who absolutely want this sort of thing for tomorrow night.

they suggested Stringfellows - I am ashamed.

was think Dover st wine bar.

somewhere quite flash, with a littl energy about it.

any help appreciated :smile:

Scott

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

Ronnie Scott's? I've never been to the London club, but the Birmingham one, which has now closed I think, enabled you to eat dinner while watching whoever was playing there.

Though given the mention of Stringfellow's, I suppose it depends on what sort of entertainment you're after :biggrin:

Adam

The food is terrible at Ronnie Scotts. Really terrible. The only excuse is that they're not really trying. Think school dinners in the early 1980s just after they stopped having to be nutritionally balanced.

The atmosphere however is top.

Edit for constructive comment -- what about Jazz Cafe in Camden? Time Out guide has Eating & Entertainment section.

Edited by Winot (log)

Food's awful there too I'm afraid.

The fact is there isn't anywhere with both a high standard of food AND a high standard of entertainment.

Try to dissuade your friends from this silly course, Scott. Tell them they should go out for a wonderful meal one night and an entertainment the next.

There's a night club below Embassy. I don't know what the joining regs are but the last time I ate in the restaurant it was full of pretty thin girls sipping champagne cocktails and smoking and waiting for the club downstairs to open.

Edited by Tonyfinch (log)

Has Marco Pierre White's Stork Club opened yet? There was supposed to be food and cabaret/moulin rouge type show... 

Anyone been?

it never opened,

turned out the 'owner' selling them the lease for the premises didn't actually own it. Or something.

i second stringy's, although some of my guests have on occasion left via the fire exit courstesy of the doorman's boot, they always seem keen to go.

That may say a lot about my clients.

Apparently Embassy is a members only club downstairs but if sufficiently a la mode you may be allowed to 'go down' post dining. Needless to say i wasn't asked.

This may say a lot about me and my clients.

gary

you don't win friends with salad

Does anyone know of a venue in london that has entertainment as well as food.

Have guests who absolutely want this sort of thing for tomorrow night.

they suggested Stringfellows - I am ashamed.

was think Dover st wine bar.

somewhere quite flash, with a littl energy about it.

any help appreciated  :smile:

Scott

I've not been but they have a band at Dover Street called Payback who are quite outstanding. Fantastic Jazz/Funk/Soul covers from a 10 piece band. They have a website but the recotrdings on there are so bad that they would put you off. They used to play in Croydon for free but the bar they played in was taken over by new management and they didn't think that the 300 people they pulled in on a Wednesday was very good. Now the bar is empty 7 nights a week - great business move :biggrin: Anyway, I digress, don't miss this band!

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

• 2 weeks later...

There's a very good night on a thursday at the cafe de paris called kitschloungeriot where they get stars of the west end shows to turn up in sequin dresses and belt out their favourite numbers in the big band stylie. sounds awful on paper but is really very good, dancing etc plus you can dine there beforehand. can''t attest to quality of the food, though, since i have turned up after the dining and just drank lots.