• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corned beef vs. pastrami

Timo

There's a pretty good introduction here:

http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Main/Fea...97,1079,00.html

I'd disagree with the absolutism of some of the statements therein, but it will get you started.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I've had smoked corned beef, made by our own Col. Klink. Would that qualify as pastrami without the spice rub?

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

In very traditional delis it's likely that corned beef will be brisket and pastrami will be plate, but either can be made from a variety of cuts. The issue of cut is secondary to the process, in my opinion.

Thanks everyone! it is comforting to know where all this stuff comes from... but i don't know if it will make me love the pastrami more, or less.. :wacko: ha, jk

"Things go better with cake." -Marcel Desaulniers

timoblog!

• 6 months later...
i had pastrami on rye for the first time today ever.  i want to tell the world.  i couldn't believe how freakin good it was.  :biggrin:

For the first time? No kidding? Where did you get it?

Michael aka "Pan"

Where in Seattle did you get this great Reuben? I've heard good things about the Other Coast Cafe, but haven't made it over there yet.

Thanks for the spelling correction.

At Persimmon - the new place on Fremont - at 43rd. Open 'till 7, M-Sat. They cook their own corned beef. And they had a great mushroom soup - 4 types in a light cream base.

i had pastrami on rye for the first time today ever.  i want to tell the world.  i couldn't believe how freakin good it was.  :biggrin:

I used to have respect for this guy... :raz:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Gee, tommy, thanks a lot. :hmmm: After 25 years of living away from NY I had just about managed to forget about the foods I really missed.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

sorry alex.

but being a non-jew, it really wasn't a part of my culture. nor was katz's and all of those wonderful places in NYC. however, i was driving around wondering what to eat today, and a kosher place by my house came to mind, the kosher nosh. i realized that i needed to try pastrami, and, at the same time, i realized that i was going to like it.

the same has happened to me over the past 10 years with sushi, raw oysters, and blue cheese. mrs. tommy takes full credit for all of this, btw. i'm not sure it was all her doing though. :hmmm:

Edited by tommy (log)

:laugh: Tommy, face it, your wife out-classes you big time on the breeding front.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

the same has happened to me over the past 10 years with sushi, raw oysters, and blue cheese.  mrs. tommy takes full credit for all of this, btw.  i'm not sure it was all her doing though.  :hmmm:

Probably not, but give her the credit anyway. (I've learned well from Ms. Alex.)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

sorry alex.

but being a non-jew, it really wasn't a part of my culture.  nor was katz's and all of those wonderful places in NYC.

It's about time you had one! Jeez. I'm about as Irish as you can get, and once I heard that pastrami was pretty much just really good corned beef, I was all over it!

But I loathe rye bread -- with a passion -- so I get mine on a hoagie at Katz's and I can eat the WHOLE thing!

Sherri A. Jackson

sorry alex.

but being a non-jew, it really wasn't a part of my culture.  nor was katz's and all of those wonderful places in NYC.  however, i was driving around wondering what to eat today, and a kosher place by my house came to mind, the kosher nosh.  i realized that i needed to try pastrami, and, at the same time, i realized that i was going to like it.

the same has happened to me over the past 10 years with sushi, raw oysters, and blue cheese.  mrs. tommy takes full credit for all of this, btw.  i'm not sure it was all her doing though.  :hmmm:

You really have to make the Katz's pilgrimage now, tommy.

Warning: Katz's Pastrami will make your mouth sing, but may also make you a bit gassy. So take a Zantac first. :wink:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

A friend just brought me back some Katz's from a trip to NY. It was like a slice of heavem - dear god I miss that stuff so much. I may need to give in and mail-order some. Now if only there was a way to get a Grimaldi's pizza out here to me in Seattle...

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell