• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Red Bank: Ashes and Echo

dbrociner

A friend of mine is going on a date tomorrow night in Red Bank. He has heard that either Ashes or Echo would be a good place to go for a quiet drink. I know nothing about Red Bank but I told him that I would post and that those of you in the know would help him out. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

If those are the two choices, Echo probably better for a quiet drink, but both places can be quite boisterous on a Friday night. A better choice for less of a "scene" might be the bar at the Grill and the Grape, the Raven and Peach in Fair Haven, or the bar at the Molly Pitcher.

It is a shame that for an area with so many decent restaurants, there is a great lack of places to drink where you don't have to shout to be heard.

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

Well we are still feeling out the area since moving down here a little over a year ago, but so far I've had some very good meals at Buona Sera, although I wouldn't be caught dead there on a weekend, and Sogno, which I have found from talking to people can be hit or miss although we haven't had a bad meal there. In a little higher price range, I have enjoyed the Raven and Peach which has some interesting Asian influences, as well as the Fromagerie, which we have been coming to for years and I think is the best it has been in a while. I haven't been to Nicholas yet, but it is definitely on my list. I used to enjoy the restaurant at the Molly Pitcher Inn (got married there, great view) as well as Doris and Ed's in Highlands, but I think both have slipped a bit in the recent past. Still have a few to try on my list, including Nicholas, Anjelica's in Sea Bright, and Whispers in Spring Lake.

I am disappointed however, at the lack of diversity in the area. There are alot of good mid priced restaurants if you want Italian food. Coming from North Jersey, I miss the very good Indian (Love the Karma Cafe in Hoboken) and more formal sit down Chinese restaurants. I know I can go to Moghul in Edison, but its just not convenient enough. Broad St in Red Bank is crying out for a change from the Italian bistro which seems to be the only choice (Gaetano, Osteria Dante, etc.)

If anyone has any decent suggestions for local ethic places I would love to hear them.

I enjoy Little Szechuan in Little Silver for simple, sitdown Chinese that has resisted the scourge of Chinese buffets so far.

Saigon II in Lincroft for decent Vietnamese.

Blue Marlin in Bradley Beach for Jamaican.

Armadillo Crossing in South Belmar for inventive Southwestern.

Mazi in Bradley Beach for Mediterranian.

Bolero Cafe in Highlands for Cuban.

Far East Taste in Eatontown for Thai, Chinese and Malaysian

Orleans in Highlands for Creole.

Pearl of the Sea in Long Branch for Portugese.

Not ethnic (Ooh! that word!) but Sisters in Spring Lake is pretty tasty...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Ooh I forgot about Orleans in Highlands...great place. We used to go to Little Szechuan alot and it was my standard take out as well, but we had a couple of disappointments in a row and haven't been in a while. Maybe its time to head back for a try.

Thanks for the rest of the suggestions!

We have found Hunan Gourmet only so-so, and our one meal a long time ago at Crown Palace in Marlboro was so bad that even my husband, who loves Chinese food, thought it was pretty disgusting. However, I do know a lot of people who like it. They have a sister restaurant on Route 35 North in Middletown.

We think Empire Szechuan is the best Chinese restaurant in the immediate area. It's located in Marlboro, on Route 9 North, in the Willow Point strip mall.

For Indian cuisine, I highly recommend Aangan, in the Chester Lighting strip mall, on Route 9 North, in Freehold.

rozrapp - we recently visited Empire Szechuan and both my husband and I though it was awful in every respect.  To each his own I guess.  :blink:

aka "Chacun a son gout." :smile:

"Everyone has (a ) his taste". My son is taking first year Chinese - I'll ask him to translate for me! :smile:

Can someone tell me about Ashes? I'm going to be there in a couple of weeks for a private function...

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne