• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scotland

I stayed at the Loch Torridon hotel (www.lochtorridon.com) last february, and I'd happily reccomend it as much for its cuisine as the accomodation. Its in a superb setting, at the mouth of the sea loch inlet and directly opposite Liatach, one of the more majestic of the Western Highlands many peaks. Its got about 12 rooms and they all look pretty fine.

On the dining front we took dinner and breakfast. Highlights of the dinner were a roast rack of venison, french trimmed and nicely rare. Served with a dauphinois topped with some stong, local gubeen cheese. A scallop and langoustine starter was immaculate as well. Breakfast is delivered with well deserved pride, excellent bacon, huge yolked eggs, black pudding, Inverawe kippers.

The place is managed by a young couple, the service is excellent and the prices in my opinion superb - you'll get deals like £70 pp for dinner, bed and breakfast and to be honest in London I doubt if that would even cover the food.

If you go make sure you install yourself firmly in the bar once dinners through. post-prandials are well and truly dealt with by the 140 single malts on offer....

I stayed at the Loch Torridon hotel (www.lochtorridon.com) last february, and I'd happily reccomend it as much for its cuisine as the accomodation. Its in a superb setting, at the mouth of the sea loch inlet and directly opposite Liatach, one of the more majestic of the Western Highlands many peaks. Its got about 12 rooms and they all look pretty fine.

On the dining front we took dinner and breakfast. Highlights of the dinner were a roast rack of venison, french trimmed and nicely rare. Served with a dauphinois topped with some stong, local gubeen cheese. A scallop and langoustine starter was immaculate as well. Breakfast is delivered with well deserved pride, excellent bacon, huge yolked eggs, black pudding, Inverawe kippers.

The place is managed by a young couple, the service is excellent and the prices in my opinion superb - you'll get deals like £70 pp for dinner, bed and breakfast and to be honest in London I doubt if that would even cover the food.

If you go make sure you install yourself firmly in the bar once dinners through. post-prandials are well and truly dealt with by the 140 single malts on offer....

I’ve been obsessed with the thought of walking the West Highland Way ever since a month-long trip to Scotland several years ago. Has anyone here done it? Solo or supported?

g., FWIW my visit was mid-September to mid-October and it was very dry and mild. No midges to speak of. :smile:

In my limited experience, I’d have to agree with Fort William being the worst place to eat. The proximity to Glen Coe and the falls at Glen Nevis *almost* makes up for it.

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

In my limited experience, I’d have to agree with Fort William being the worst place to eat.

Travel four miles out of Fort William and you can eat at the very wonderful Inverlochy Castle.

Click

Gavin

Always providing you don't mind taking out a second mortgage. :blink:

Actually, there are quite a lot of country house places that seem to have decent nosh. But most are pretty damned pricey. Thanks to Rossco for reminding me of the Loch Torridon Hotel - it's a lot better VFM than I had remembered. That part of the world is just so, so beautiful.

Has anyone been to Arisaig House? Or the Old Pines at Spean Bridge (Old Pines)? Or the Summer Isles Hotel?

Adam

In my limited experience, I’d have to agree with Fort William being the worst place to eat.

Travel four miles out of Fort William and you can eat at the very wonderful Inverlochy Castle.

Click

Thanks, Gavin. That looks like a great place to celebrate completing the West Highland Way.

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

Has anyone been to Arisaig House? Or the Old Pines at Spean Bridge (Old Pines)? Or the Summer Isles Hotel?

Adam

We went to the Summer Isles Hotel on the same gastrotour as the Inverlochy Castle. Great place, and a hell of a long way from anywhere. Food was from a no choice menu (although you could discuss particular requirements in advance or on the day), and was some of the best eaten on our trip. Much local produce, including vegetables and fruit grown at the remarkable Hydroponicum across the road.

It gets its name from the fabulous views of the Summer Isles from the hotel. Unfortunately, when we were there (in July), it was absolutely p.......oops sorry, mustn't mention the weather.

Gavin

Ferdlisky, I hope you have a great trip. I have a definite Aberdeen recommendation which is to try some Aberdeen butteries. Think flattened croissant with a much higher butter and fat content and you have a rough idea what these beauties are like. I once lived with a family from Aberdeen and relatives used to bring us them to have with our breakfasts. Delicious.

Hmmm, no recommendations for Aberdeen or thereabouts... It seems that's where I'll be for a few days for family reasons. Tell me it isn't a gastronomic wasteland...

What wgallois said about butteries (also come under several other names), they are excellent and should be more widespread (can't get them in Edinburgh). Smoked fish products are very good in the East coast. But apart from that, Aberdeen is a bit of a gastronimic desert. I'm sure you could get good fish 'n' chips there though.

Smoked fish products are very good in the East coast.

Arbroath - home of the smoked kipper isn't far from Aberdeen. I'd be amazed if Aberdeen didn't have some good places to eat, it's a very successful place economically speaking due to the oil.

Where's there money you'll usually find somewhere decent to eat.

Unfortunately not. Restaurants are expensive but poor. The best seafood restaurant, Silver Darlings (nickname of herring, I believe) is a pleasant place, housed in an old lighthouse, but the food is mediocre.

There's a reasonable Chinese at the Union Street end of King Street.

Otherwise I'd paraphrase my avatar and say that the finest thing in Aberdeen is the road to Stonehaven.

Smoked fish products are very good in the East coast.

Arbroath - home of the smoked kipper isn't far from Aberdeen. I'd be amazed if Aberdeen didn't have some good places to eat, it's a very successful place economically speaking due to the oil.

Where's there money you'll usually find somewhere decent to eat.

You really must come to Edinburgh some time. :wink:

Aberdeen is cool. Made out of grey granite and I have always liked the place because it makes me feel tall. Food though?

Arbroath may have kippers and even kippered haddocks, but its famous product [Arbroath Smokie] is a hot smoked haddock (actually two haddocks). Finnan haddocks (cold smoked) come from around there too, don't they? Both excellent. :hmmm:

Edited by Adam Balic (log)

You really must come to Edinburgh some time. :wink:

Aberdeen is cool. Made out of grey granite and I have always liked the place because it makes me feel tall. Food though?

Arbroath may have kippers and even kippered haddocks, but its famous product [Arbroath Smokie] is a hot smoked haddock (actually two haddocks). Finnan haddocks (cold smoked) come from around there too, don't they? Both excellent. :hmmm:

I've been to Edinburgh and tried the Rose Street Shuffle. I failed.

I have also been to Edinburgh other times. Once I went to see Iggy Pop. I got arrested that time and have never returned to the seat of the £90,000 table. You're welcome to Edinburgh, Adam :biggrin:

Incidentally, it appears the famous Arbroath Smokie orginated in Auchmithie near Arbroath and that Finnan Haddies hail from Findon.

Nothing fishy about this link

Yes, sometimes you seen them labeled as "Findon Smoked Haddock", but not very much (mostly because it doesn't sound as good as "Finnan Haddie"). Jane Grigson's fish book has history/cooking info. on both types. And how to order them in 1960's London.

I know, I know Edinburgh sucks. Glasgow is great. I especially like how on a Friday, by 6:00 pm the centre of town is full of drunk people. From professional drunks, to drunk professionals. In Edinburgh, people look at you funny if you go to a pub before 12:00.

Hmmm, no recommendations for Aberdeen or thereabouts... It seems that's where I'll be for a few days for family reasons. Tell me it isn't a gastronomic wasteland...

I'm a bit late on this one.

Here are some notes on a visit to Aberdeen a couple of years ago (not exactly fresh, I admit):

The Olive Tree, Queens Road, Aberdeen. Mediterranean influences. Excellent smoked chicken pate with pomegranates, and nicely dressed greens. Good fresh fish with saffron, and on another night with lavender oil. It's a pretty little restaurant in a former toll house on two floors.

http://www.olive-tree.co.uk/home.htm

The Marcliffe at Pitfodels, North Deeside Road, Aberdeen. Everybody in the NE of Scotland is raving about this place. I was very disappointed. Sandy, tough scallops, overcooked halibut, smoked venison app nothing to write home (actually I was home) about. An interesting main was lamb with cabbage stuffed with black pudding, but it was a bit much. The hotel is in an attractive location and the lounge is comfy.

Norwood Hall, Cults, near Aberdeen (01224-868951). I recommend it. This is a Victorian mansion by the river Dee. Tasty fare for lunch: really fresh fish and salads. (This might be a nice place to stay.)

As G. mentioned above, The Silver Darlings Restaurant in an old lighthouse is charming with lovely views, but we found the food to be average.