• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinatown Duck

CooksQuest

Inspired by the recent thread for Chinatown fish, I would like to know where the best place in Chinatown is to pick up a roasted duck to serve at home. Unlike the fish post, I am looking for a cold (but fully cooked) product to reheat/recrisp at home. This will save me some serious time when I need a break...

Is the quality dramatically different from place to place? Thanks in advance.

Edited by CooksQuest (log)

No specific recco, but don't these tend to be room-temp or warmer and not chilled? In my family (half of which is from Hong Kong), we tend to serve it at whatever temp it comes at, usually just warm.

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.

It doesn't need to be super cold.  I just don't want it burning my lap and/or smelling up the public transportation on the way home.

Number 1, no prob.

Number 2, no chance. At least from any place, anywhere, where I've gotten good ducks.

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.

Right now I get my ducks at Great NY Noodletown, but I'm not entirely thrilled with their (lack of ) spicing. It's convenient, though, since we eat there often. Note, though, that they just raised the price :angry: -- from $13 to $14 (I checked :biggrin: ) But it seems to be more consistently tasty than before, and not overly soy-sauced.

In any case, the temperature will probably depend on how long it's been hanging in the window. :wink:

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

Has anyone tried buying duck at any of the butcher shops or more general food stores that include sections with cooked items for sale? The thought occurs to me because I was in Flushing again this past evening and thought the takeout food on sale at the huge Chinese supermarket on Kissena Blvd. just down from the intersection with Main St. looked good. In that neighborhood, I imagine that Chou Zhou is a good source.

Michael aka "Pan"

• 2 years later...

Leftover duck? Well, you could take the leftovers and stir-fry them with some soy sauce and scallions the next day. Moisten it a bit with some broth so it's not dried out. It's something my mom does with leftover roast pig, too. Give it a new flavor. I think it's a Toisanese thing, I haven't heard of anyone else doing it.

PS: Pfft to the idea of smelling up public transportation. At least it'd be a nice smell.

Shoot, you think those with BO care that they stink up the place?...

PS: Pfft to the idea of smelling up public transportation.  At least it'd be a nice smell. 

I couldn't agree more. The worst that would be likely to happen is someone could say: "Hey, that smells great! Where did you get it?" I've been known to ask such questions, plus "What is that?", when it isn't obvious. Here in New York, though, such questions asked on the bus are likely to be met with a pretty unenthusiastic reaction from the rider, who usually just wants to have a quiet ride and be in his/her own world.

Michael aka "Pan"

Ok, so I made a quicky one day trip to NY's CT via the DC/NY CT bus this weekend. (never, ever, ever again will I use a CT bus...)

The store (I forgot its name!) that is on Elizabeth that spans the entire block that sells all sorts of prepared foods is very good for the scallion oil chicken. I remember the duck being good when I had it before from there. The chicken I got yesterday was fantastic for $9 and the beef tendon is DELISH for those who are into tendons. Pricey at $3.50 for the one tendon I got (by weight, mind you) but considering all the labor it takes, eh, better them cook it than me. Anyone get any good duck this weekend?

Ok, so I made a quicky one day trip to NY's CT via the DC/NY CT bus this weekend.  (never, ever, ever again will I use a CT bus...)

The store (I forgot its name!) that is on Elizabeth that spans the entire block that sells all sorts of prepared foods is very good for the scallion oil chicken.  I remember the duck being good when I had it before from there.  The chicken I got yesterday was fantastic for $9 and the beef tendon is DELISH for those who are into tendons.  Pricey at $3.50 for the one tendon I got (by weight, mind you) but considering all the labor it takes, eh, better them cook it than me.  Anyone get any good duck this weekend?

That market that spans the whole block from mott to elizabeth st. is called "Deluxe market" on 122 mott st. I've only tried their pork vegetable bun, peppered pork chop, & frozen shu mai, never the roasted duck. I love tendons though, gotta try that next. Pretty interesting store though.

Edited by irongut (log)

not sure what the scallion oil chicken is, but we got an order of the "bac zham gai" (it's the white chicken that this particular market prepares with a light brownish sauce with some peanuts in it). oily, but holy cow it was good.

btw, some of my friends have dubbed that market "meat alley".