• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Posh Nosh

StephenT

I changed my signature to my favourite quote from the show a couple of weeks ago!

I did too. Oh my, she says, wiping away the tears of laughter.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

A word now for Richard E. Grant in How to Get Ahead in Advertising.

Word:

Businessman 1 (Donald Hoath): I see the police have made another lightning raid... Paddington drug orgy.

Priest (Gordon Gostelow): I suppose young girls was involved?

Businessman 1: (reading the newspaper) One discovered naked in the kitchen...breasts smeared with peanut butter. The police took away a bag containing 15 grams of cannabis resin... it may also contain a quantity of heroin.

Bagley: Or a pork pie.

Businessman 1: I beg your pardon.

Bagley: I said the bag may also have contained a pork pie.

Businessman 1: I hardly see a pork pie's got anything to do with it.

Bagley: Alright then, what about a large turnip. It might also have contained a big turnip.

Priest: The bag was full of drugs.

Bagley: Nonsense.

Priest: The bag was full of drugs, it says so.

Bagley: The bag could've been full of anything. Pork pies, turnips, oven parts... it's the oldest trick in the book.

Priest: What book?

Bagley: The distortion of truth by association book. The word is "may." You all believe heroin was in the bag because cannabis resin was in the bag. The bag may have contained heroin, but the chances are 100 to 1 certain that it didn't.

Businessman 1: A lot more likely than what you say.

Bagley: About as likely as the tits spread with peanut butter.

Businessman 2 (John Levitt): Do you mind?

Priest: The tits WERE spread with peanut butter!

Bagley: Nonsense.

Priest: It says so! Who's the man you are to think you know more about it than the press?

Bagley: I'm an expert on tits. Tits and peanut butter. I'm also an expert drug pusher... I've been pushing drugs for 20 years...

Businessman 2: Look here, I've had enough of this.

Bagley: ...And I can tell you a pusher protects his pitch. We want to sell them cigarettes, and don't like competition, see? So we associate a relatively innocuous drug with one that is extremely dangerous, and the rags go along with it because they adore the dough from the ads.

Oh, one more:

I've had an octopus squatting on my brain for a fortnight, and I suddenly see that I am the only one that can help you.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I can't wait until this hits BBC America.

There will probably be a tacky US knockoff within two years. :angry:

Off topic I know, but this reminds me of when the US tried to make a US version of Fawlty Towers ( not sure which network )

The figured from Focus groups that the character of Basil was too unsympathetic, so they took the character out and made the series as Cybil by the Sea with Cheech Marin as the Mexican waiter and Bea Arthur as Cybil.

There were lots of crazy happenings and group hugs as in all US "comedies"

I am not sure it made it past the pilot

Bless the Americans

S

I think most imports die horribly painful deaths, usually short, but sometimes long and protracted (American Men Behaving Badly, anyone?)

As I recall Rosanne bought the US rights to Ab Fab. It never saw the light of day, THANK GOD.

The Dame Edna/Vanity Fair flap should prove for good that comedy doesn't survive the trip across the Atlantic (or Pacific, I guess, in Dame Edna's case...)

Of course the President's Address to the Joint Session of Congress is a knockoff from the Speech from the Throne. I doubt it will be cancelled though.

What's the Dame Edna/Vanity Fair flap? Other than just not funny?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Off topic I know, but this reminds me of when the US tried to make a US version of Fawlty Towers ( not sure which network )

The figured from Focus groups that the character of Basil was too unsympathetic, so they took the character out and made the series as Cybil by the Sea with Cheech Marin as the Mexican waiter and Bea Arthur as Cybil.

the horror...

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Saw this a couple of weeks ago and was a little underwhelmed after the buildup. The one joke appears to be substituting surreal verbs in the recipes, which is fine the first couple of times but grates after a while.

The problem with the program is its trying to parody a genre which has already descended into self-parody (errr Nigella?). Remember seeing the same thing happen with Austen Powers, when James Bond is already taking piss out of itself to start with

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

• 2 years later...
I can't wait until this hits BBC America.

There will probably be a tacky US knockoff within two years. :angry:

With John Ritter plating the Richard E. Grant part. :sad:

That would be odd, considering he's dead. Sort of a "Trouble with Harry" kind of thing?

:raz:

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Bless you once again, eGulleteers, for pointing me toward a magnificent discovery. My favorite so far:

When your chicken is noblesse oblige, embarrass a leg and some decolletage and twirl some flaked flesh in the pan-sweat.

I'm in love. :wub:

Jennifer L. Iannolo

Founder, Editor-in-Chief

The Gilded Fork

Food Philosophy. Sensuality. Sass.

Home of the Culinary Podcast Network

Never trust a woman who doesn't like to eat. She is probably lousy in bed. (attributed to Federico Fellini)

• 4 months later...

I knew there would be a thread on this show. The NYC PBS station (13) has just started running a couple of hours of Posh Nosh on Sunday nights/early Monday morns, right after an hour of Python. I had never seen Posh Nosh before - this is the price I pay for not paying the price of cable - but it's a riot!

Couldn't help but notice this above - the perils of prognostication:

I hear some US network is thinking of doing an American version of The Office.  It'll never work.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I knew there would be a  thread on this show.  The NYC PBS station (13) has just started  running a couple of hours of Posh Nosh on Sunday nights/early Monday morns, right after an hour of Python.  I had never seen Posh Nosh before - this is the price  I pay for not paying the price of cable -  but it's a riot!

--

Here in San Francisco they have been airing it after Jeeves and Wooster on Tuesday nights at 7:00p on KTEH. It is riotously effin hilarious (Posh Nosh, that is... J&W, a show about some douche (played by Hugh Laurie... Fox TV's House, MD) and his butler, pretty much sucks, albeit in its own uniquely British way).

Edited by fiftydollars (log)

Here in San Francisco they have been airing it after Jeeves and Wooster on Tuesday nights at 7:00p on KTEH. It is riotously effin hilarious (Posh Nosh, that is... J&W, a show about some douche (played by Hugh Laurie... Fox TV's House, MD) and his butler, pretty much sucks, albeit in its own uniquely British way).

The Hugh Laurie/Stephen Fry Jeeves and Wooster series was deeply wonderful, so you're wrong there. And Jeeves was a gentleman's personal gentleman, not a butler.