• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Taking Notes at a Restaurant

Explorer

Just curious to hear about other members' experiences and how to accurately position this. So, they see you taking notes for accuracy purposes and to capture your thoughts of the moment. What is the proper way to answer if they ask why?

Should I say I'm writing a mini-review for eGullet? Not being a professional food writer, will they take me seriously?

What if I start to become a pest as I want a moire detailed description on such and such item, and am not happy with the 30,000 ft description from the waiter?

Is it better to save all these questions and ask if the chef can spend 5 mins with me at the very end?

"I hate people who are not serious about their meals." Oscar Wilde

Cabrales uses a method which I've found to be very effective. Small business card sized pieces of paper to note courses, thoughts, etc. Slide them under the bread plate, etc as they are filled.

I will also retain a menu or wine list after placing an order if I want to copy down details.

Occasionally, you'll be noticed, and a waiter, etc will ask if she may be of help, which is fine.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I take a small spiral bound book and a tiny pen light to read the menu (at first everybody made fun of me, but now everyone wants to borrow it) :biggrin: I don't think you could ask enough questions to become a pain in the ass.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

Although I rarely eat in restaurants worth noting of any kind, occasionally I will have something I want to remember. I either note-take in a small spiral notebook or on one of the many pieces of paper in my bag. Usually the waitstaff knows I'm not a pro of any kind (yet), but a few times they've asked if they can provide more information, once, a waitress asked if I wanted a bigger piece of paper.

I've had more issues with my friends/dining companions feeling strange that I want to write things down. When they bring it up, I remind them that when I cook for them in my own home, I always note-take, and they don't find THAT odd.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Thanks for everybody's quick and useful responses. My intent is not to be antagonistic with the staff.

I am thinking that from a strategy point of view; maybe it makes sense to be more discreet about note-taking until the end of the meal in order not to influence the service, attitude or food.

Then, save the questions for the end and be open about it. And even call-in the day after to follow-up perhaps on a question?

I am curious to hear how professional writers do it and Fat-Guy's opinion if possible.

Any tricks from the book Dining Out: Secrets from America's Leading Critics, Chefs and Restauranteurs?

I almost always take notes on a small note pad when I eat at serious restaurants. None of the waitstaff has ever mentioned it or asked why I was taking notes. Nor do I think I've received any special treatment because of it. I'm sure a published food critic would be more discreet, so I assume they don't think I'm a writer - just one of those weird foody people. I say: if they ask, just be honest and say you are enjoying your meal and want to remember the details. And ask for a copy of the menu when you leave, of course.

I don't think you could ask enough questions to become a pain in the ass.

Having eaten twice with Cabrales, I'm sure that however many questions you ask, you're still in the safe zone. And don't worry, if they think you may be a critic, you might get something special. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm sure a published food critic would be more discreet, so I assume they don't think I'm a writer - just one of those weird foody people. I say: if they ask, just be honest and say you are enjoying your meal and want to remember the details. And ask for a copy of the menu when you leave, of course.

From my experience there is no way to be discreet. The more you try to cover up your writing the more obvious you become. Probably the best way is a digital tape recorder, but even that looks wierd, speaking into your lapel and all that and I hate transcribing. My best ploy was making it appear that we were having a business discussion and I was taking some notes.

And don't worry, if they think you may be a critic, you might get something special. Nothing wrong with that.

I dreaded being discovered. It's obvious when it happens. Sometimes everything was cool. All too often restaurants grossly over-reacted. Nervous and fawning servers, hovering management/host, and the kitchen took so long messing with the food in the kitchen that by the time they got it just right it came out luke warm. And the portions. I'd compare my plate with diners nearby. Often much larger.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I have some half size index cards I usually jot down the wine pairings or tasting notes while fresh in my mind.

I always ask for a copy of the menu as a momento - no one has refused yet. The day after - I can peruse the menu and remember things I liked and disliked. I would rather enjoy a meal and think about criticisms later.

I almost always take notes on a small note pad when I eat at serious restaurants. None of the waitstaff has ever mentioned it or asked why I was taking notes. Nor do I think I've received any special treatment because of it. I'm sure a published food critic would be more discreet, so I assume they don't think I'm a writer - just one of those weird foody people. I say: if they ask, just be honest and say you are enjoying your meal and want to remember the details. And ask for a copy of the menu when you leave, of course.

Ditto. I also write my notes on small pieces of paper that I can slide under the plate. The pencil/pen is a little more difficult to hide. :wacko:

Speaking of pda's, I have used my Blackberry to check online about certain wines just before ordering, and it looks like I'm checking e-mail; but am just more conscious about note-taking now since most of you eGulleter have given some pretty accurate culinary reports.

I used to just go and enjoy it; now I have to report on it too....(just kidding).

I have a story about taking notes, which I already told here, so I won't bore people with it again.

All I can say is, if you want to take notes, take notes. If you want to ask questions of the waiter, ask away (a well-trained waiter should be able to answer almost all of your questions, or else know when to bring in backup). What do you care what you may look like to the staff or other diners? And if someone asks you why you're taking notes, um,

. . . accuracy purposes and to capture your thoughts of the moment.
sounds to me like the proper way to answer.

Has anyone considered one of those mini digital voice recorders?

I think it would look even weirder if I start talking into my digital recorder or attempt to tape what the waiter is saying.... "can you speak louder please and face the microphone??" :smile:

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

My memory isn't what it used to be, so I have to take notes. I also ask for a menu to take home. I have been known to take it anyway when my request was denied. Once when my wife and I had lunch at The French Laundry, as a ploy I decided to pretend to take notes. I tried to look like I didn't want to be seen, all the time being obvious. At the end of the meal the waiter came over and asked how we liked the food. We expressed that everything was incredible, as it was. In fact it was and still us one of the best meals we have ever had. He asked if we would like to go to the kitchen and meet Thomas Keller. Of course our answer was yes. We went back and told him how incredible the experience was. I said there was only one problem! What is that he asked? I said that everything was so good I wanted to bring my friends, but getting reservations was nearly impossible. He was relieved and reached into his wallet, took out abusiness card put the kitchen # on it and said call me if you have a problem. He said that his office staff hate him to do that but just call. I actually did get his help once. So don't be so quick to not take advantage of what taking notes may do for you. Phew! :cool:

" Food and Wine Fanatic"

I try to always make a maximum 3 minute description of a meal and use the mini voice recorder built into my cell phone so people think I am speaking on the phone. In cell phone unfriendly restaurants, (my favorites) I am careful that my phone never rings. If it does start to vibrate I turn it off.

Marc, the meals I am most interesting in recording, or at least in recording my impressions, are exactly the ones in restaurants in which I would be most embarrassed at using a mobile phone.

Carpet bagger, can you attribute Thomas Keller and the restaurant's reaction to your note taking to a belief by them that you might be a journalist, or that it was an indication of your serious, but amateur, interest?

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I try to always make a maximum 3 minute description of a meal and use the mini voice recorder built into my cell phone . . .

Marc what kind of cell phone do you have? I would love to have that feature in a phone. I almost bought a digital voice recorder specifically for restaurant reviews but wasn't happy with price to feature ratio.