• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great Indian food in Connecticut?

Fat Guy

Liz Johnson's current column in the Journal-News (Westchester) is devoted to Thali, and Indian restaurant in New Canaan, Ct. -- in a bank.

http://www.thejournalnews.com/johnson/

Having been there twice recently, I'll add my vote and say that this place is Connecticut's answer to the best New York City has to offer: the only better Indian meal I've had in the United States was at Diwan, and there are some individual dishes at Diwan -- especially the tandoori duck in Cabernet reduction -- that are fully on par with the best Diwan has to offer (in fact this may be the best single Indian restaurant dish I've had).

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

there is a place in Darien.....Coramandel ? It is in the Good Wives shopping center. Zagat give it favorable ratings and all of my friends swear by it.

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

Liz Johnson has described Dahi Batata Puris better than anyone before.

I felt I was savoring them in my own mouth after reading her piece.

What was most fascinating to me about the menu at Thali was the inclusion of the Home Made Chicken Curry that the owners mother makes daily. It was superb. I could be happy with plain rice alongside it and never get bored.

Actually the rice at Thali is prepared beautifully. The onions had been browned into caramel color and then the rice was cooked with them so as to make the rice a nice sandy brown color and also giving it a wonderful sweet flavor that balances the heat provided by the whole garam masala.

Raju the wine sommelier was a pleasant surprise but one that changed the magic of the evening. He adds so much more to the dining experience than anything else at the restaurant. The food varies from good to superb, the decor fresh and exciting and has some amazing elements, some that are only so-so. But the great wine list and the sommeliers very charming presence and caring hospitality make your experience stellar and superior. You come with little expectation into an Indian restaurant, but at Thali, Rajus presence gives you much more than you expect.. and even more than you would expect after having sat through one meal. The second time he waited at my table, I understood his brilliance and value even better.

Thali may have given Indian restaurant owners a new trend to follow and emulate.

I was pleasantly moved by the crab meat dishes they had on their menu. They were at once exciting and also refreshing.

I would be happy going back to Thali whenever I crave Indian dining that should be about a complete experience.

Oh ! What an experience at Thali. Tha BAR ! thrilling, Drinks exceptional, can you believe a good Mojito and then some Martinis.

After reading (and I am a new registered member) Liz and Steven Shaw, I made a point to go to New Canaan, from Westchester, NY and I am excited about the restaurant and the cuisine.

Service was very caring and attentive, the food was unblieveble. I ordered some of the things from the menu and the DUCK !!! a devine special. How could you keep it so juicy! abd so tasty ! The decor, astonishing, a water fall, abeautiful full bar, a restaurant in suburbs and an INDIAN with fine food and graet wines. Was totally thrilled with Reislings, Shiraz, Merlot's and The Red ZINS. Ihad eaten at some other establishments and nothing came close to the KABABS, like Chicken TIKKA, Achari Tikka, A wholesome LAMB chops and even WILD BOAR CHOPS with mint rice, the braeds, I cannot stop here, a sag Paneer ( Fresh spinach and Paneer Cheese) and BAIGAN DAHI and some AVIAL were inruiging. I would go back on a daily a basis, if I were dining out IN STYLE. MOST modernestic establishment in the COUNTY.

Funcook

Hi

Folks

I was in Thali on Friday had such a great experience with good food, great bar, very good interior water falling from ceiling, good people in restaurant. My host was Raju He is such a nice person he suggested me to try Australian Shiraz Wine believe me it was the best wine I ever had with Spicy Chicken wings, Andhra chicken curry with Authentic Himalayan basmati rice

I have been to most of the Indian restaurants around this place but I would only recommend Thali in New Cannan.

Have been there a few times. Glorious food and service. Not having much of an appetite for Indian curries, I was totally taken by their concept of Indian foods. Curry as I discovered is a term coined by the English rulers for a type of Indian foods made in a sauce with spices.

Not knowing too much about wines, Raju the Manager helped us in selecting - I don't remember which one though. All we know is the wine complemented the food very well. Service is impeccable, though a little hurried at times.

Haven't really heard of Indian restaurants indulging in wild boar and other exotic meats. I should go there once more, to savour these delicacies.

One thing I remember is that they serve an assortment of simple Indian foods in a silver plate adorned with small silver tumblers filled with different veggies, lentil and meats served with bread and rice. Do they still have it on their menu. I was told that is a traditional Indian meal. Their Sunday brunch is also good. Not sure if they have it still.

Oh yes, I would certainly recommend it to all who love foods with a zest for spices and full of flavors. And the kulfi as dessert ummm - that came in on the House - tasted all the more delicious.

As far as I know the restaurant is being run by the one who started the Tandoori group. Know for sure they had the Darien one under their wings till some time ago. How's the food in Darien now. Not as great as in Thali I guess.

James

I have been back after reading about it and I am in love with the place. Yes chicken curry from South India was very flavorful and I will get that each time I will go back. I was disappointed not to see their wine guy ! though I was reccomended a reisling with spicy chicken tikka, called Achaar tikka, that wine you will drink it like beer.

We also had fish from the Tandoor. Halibut Tikka, was fabulous.

I will go back any time there, would you folks :smile:

I will go back any time there, would you folks  :smile:

The likelihood I would go to the restaurant decreases with every new first post by a new member touting the restaurant. Am I the only member who is suspicious when three new members appear in rapid succession to post glowingly about a single restaurant. in general first reports by any new member are of limited value. It's not until one can get some idea of a member's experiences and tastes that his reviews begin to have useful value to other members. In addition, it's all too often that an owner, chef, or relative of either, will post glowingly about their own place in a naive attempt to garner free publicity. I'm not saying I see anything more than coincidence here. I am advising new members to establish a bit of credibility before touting their favorite restaurant for whatever reason it's their favorite, lest they do more harm than good.

Oddly enough, I'm usually quite taken with an interest in visiting a restaurant when someone connected with the restaurant introduces himself. Genuine enthusiasm and a pride in what one is doing is often very infectious.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

In general I agree with Bux. I happen to live in Connecticut and happened to know this forum thru an egulleteer and I have been forwarding this web to as many people I know. Could be new people. I thorughly started enjoying this forum and especially something in fairfield county. After being introduced to egullet member and

seeing the attached clip from the fat-guy of the Journal news, who would not try!

As per your quote, I may not be credible enough and I completely understand your judgement and no grouch about it either and I would like to continue on other topics as well.

If I were you with experience of the egullet, I would be in the same shoes. I still think this place is unique. Give it a try and I would like to see your honest opinion, let's say forget about mine. Otherwise Connecticut I generally find boring.

By the way I like an other restaurant in Greenwich "Baang", one of my favorites, loud music, great food.

Thank you

Fun

Wow. That's great news. We're going to see the in-laws in New Canaan in July so I'll have to put this place on our list.

Until now, I thought the best Indian food in CT was at Bombay Grill in Westport. Haven't been there in about 4 years, but I remember Bombay as being "gourmet" Indian.

Claire797,

I wrote the Journal News article. Although I didn't have room to list all the restaurants he was involved in, the owner, Prasad Chirnomula, was for a time a partner in Bombay Grill, too.

Liz

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Liz Johnson's current column in the Journal-News (Westchester) is devoted to Thali, and Indian restaurant in New Canaan, Ct. -- in a bank.

http://www.thejournalnews.com/johnson/

Having been there twice recently, I'll add my vote and say that this place is Connecticut's answer to the best New York City has to offer: the only better Indian meal I've had in the United States was at Diwan, and there are some individual dishes at Diwan -- especially the tandoori duck in Cabernet reduction -- that are fully on par with the best Diwan has to offer (in fact this may be the best single Indian restaurant dish I've had).

FG, When I clicked the link in your post in order to read the review of Thali, what came up instead was a review of a seafood vendor in Ipswich. So I did a search and found the Thali review. Here is the correct link:

http://www.nyjournalnews.com/newsroom/0226...seasonings.html

Bux Posted on Mar 6 2003, 11:03 AM

The likelihood I would go to the restaurant decreases with every new first post by a new member touting the restaurant. Am I the only member who is suspicious when three new members appear in rapid succession to post glowingly about a single restaurant. in general first reports by any new member are of limited value. It's not until one can get some idea of a member's experiences and tastes that his reviews begin to have useful value to other members. In addition, it's all too often that an owner, chef, or relative of either, will post glowingly about their own place in a naive attempt to garner free publicity. I'm not saying I see anything more than coincidence here. I am advising new members to establish a bit of credibility before touting their favorite restaurant for whatever reason it's their favorite, lest they do more harm than good.

Oddly enough, I'm usually quite taken with an interest in visiting a restaurant when someone connected with the restaurant introduces himself. Genuine enthusiasm and a pride in what one is doing is often very infectious.

Bux, It never occurred to me to be suspicious about these novice posters, but what you say does give one "food for thought." Keep in mind, however, that it was Fat Guy who started the thread, and who talked positively about this restaurant, a place he has tried more than once. (See above.) I should think that would make a difference to you as to whether or not to try it. While I would not go very far out of my way to eat here, if I were in the neighborhood -- perhaps when passing through Connecticut on our annual summer trip up to Quebec -- I would probably be willing to give it a try, even with only a novice's opinion. Last year, I got a tip on Chowhound from a poster about what he felt was a good African restaurant in White River Junction, VT, which is along our route. While I knew nothing about this poster, I figured we should give the restaurant a shot. The food turned out to be as good as he claimed. Unfortunately, the restaurant closed soon after. :sad: (The owner intended to look for a new location.)

Roz, when a user's first post reads like Funcook and Jag's first posts above -- unadulterated praise and enthusiasm for a single establishment, without context -- there is always a high level of suspicion that it's a shill, plant, troll, or whatever. It's such a common occurrence on the Internet that we'd be negligent if we didn't look out for it. At the same time, we make no prejudgments. Funcook, for example, is coming out of his shell and is starting to feel like a real user. Eventually, with the benefit of hindsight, we may come to view the posts on this thread in a whole new light. Only time will tell. Until then, I can say that Thali really is excellent and everybody should go there.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Claire797,

I wrote the Journal News article. Although I didn't have room to list all the restaurants he was involved in, the owner, Prasad Chirnomula, was for a time a partner in Bombay Grill, too.

Liz

Ah! That explains it. I loved Bombay Grill and it was a step-up from many of the NYC Indian restaurants.

If you ever find yourself in Austin, TX -- (The Mothership of all Indian Food.....HA HA HA)-- you should check out Clay Pit. A group of us had dinner there a few months ago and it is on par with what Chirnomula is doing.

In specific response to Bux, how exactly does one establish credibility. Looks like it is it a game of numbers here. The more posts one has the better say you have. Gosh I thought this was a free world with the net being an epitome for it. With no intention of doing any harm to nobody, I wonder how careful should we be when we first register to be members.

Having not much knowledge of foods and Indian foods in particular, I thought would be nice to say something good about a place where I enjoyed eating. Am no expert in restaurants or eating out culture. Have been to Thali 3 times and Darien Tandoori twice before they changed their name and once after that.

So please Bux excuse me for wandering into your domain and keying in my two cents. You probably have a reason in suspecting someone instigating this, but have openly hinted at new members in particular.

And I have been to Baang once (or is it Bang) - lousy atmosphere - in my opinion, food is passable, lacked the flavor and the spice. Music was too too loud and the wait was even longer to get a table.

James: It's not anything you said or did; it was the presence of multiple first-time posters on a single thread that I think smacked of a propaganda effort. Sometimes, it's just coincidence that several new users "come out" on a new thread. Other times, it's not. As I said, subsequent user conduct will be helpful in sorting it out. Please don't take it personally -- a certain level of suspicion is how a rapidly growing message board such as this one maintains the credibility of its data.

Claire 797

Will try to go to Clay Pit, the motherhood as you said, but it's in Austin. You know what, I have couple of friends in Texas, may be I can let them know.

Could you please forward thier phone or a website if they have. Thank You

With no offence to anyone, I think who ever is interested in food in general and Indian food in Connecticut should continue on the forum about the food and restaurants, rather than having personality clashes. After reviewing the forum, I certainly understand where everyone is coming from.

Now that the author of the article is in lime light, that explains this is genuine and Chirnomula had a gourmet restaurant four years ago as per Claire 797. I am convinced this is a genuine experience and hope the same for the other forum members as well.

Fun

THALI of NEW CANAAN, CT, is an unbelieveable dining experience. From the moment you walk through the door you're engulfed by the ambience of the dining room and bar. Immediately welcomed by the floor manager as if you'd just arrived at his own front door, you're made to feel at home amidst the steel wall paneling and thick velvet curtains underneath the overhead waterfall.

The wait staff are professionally attentive, never pushy but always ready to approach and take the order or clean the table between courses. Once you've had the opportunity to enjoy an ample well mixed cocktail, the appetizers arrive leisurely followed by the entree. The food quality is impeccable, always full of flavor, it suits all levels of Indian dining experience. Having been to THALI almost every week since they opened, I can honestly say, I have never had a bad meal there. The quality has always been to the highest standard and the best Indian dining I have ever experienced. The wait staff and owner make absolutely sure of that.

If you're ever on Main Street in New Canaan in the evening, you'll always find THALI! Just follow you're nose! The aroma of Indian cooking is so inviting that you'll find them right away!

I whole-heartedly recommend THALI as being a most enjoyable dining experience of any culture, definitely worth the drive from near or far!

James, I'm sorry you took my post personally and that in doing so, you felt the need to make a public issue of it. I would have been happier to make my explanation via private message. There is no exact way to establish credibility. It's not a matter of numbers, it's a matter of perhaps the information we all read into posts over time. I could mention that I find it takes me longer to accept new members who don't post using their full name. Perhaps it's my hangup that I wonder what they have to hide, but it's something those who choose an alias have to consider.

I wonder why you raise the red herring about free world and the internet being a place where anyone can say anything about anyone without proof? Why be so defensive? That you meant no harm to anyone is precisely why I felt the need to warn against how some people will view the posts. It's always good avice to enter a discussion site gently and without a chip on one's shoulder. When you read my post, you don't know if I'm reacting to a half dozen private messages suggesting we have trolls in this thread and that I'm merely trying to defuse a potential situation. One of the reasons I felt free to offer my advice here was that the restaurant in question had some solid backing, namely Fat Guy's link and his own word and I didn't want to see that good publicity ruined. In a thread about a more questionable restaurant I might expect my advice to look like an accusation. Here I thought it would appear as good advice to new members.

Another truth is that there were a few unusual things in the first posts by new members that should cause a raised eyebrow among experienced users of food site on the net. I happen to have a good deal of sympathy for restaurateurs and on the rare chance there was some shilling going on, I wanted to warn the owners not to let over eager people ruin the good thing they already had here. Still it's not personal and it wasn't an accusation. Welcome to the site James. I hope you continue to share your opinions with us and that you find other people's opinions useful to you. You'll find a wide variety of opinion here.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

As if on cue . . .

:laugh::laugh:

Didn't you start a thread somewhere on adjectives overused in restaurant press releases, or am I confusing that with a thread on restaurant reviews? They are a similar genre at times, ain't they. :rolleyes:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Roz, when a user's first post reads like Funcook and Jag's first posts above -- unadulterated praise and enthusiasm for a single establishment, without context -- there is always a high level of suspicion that it's a shill, plant, troll, or whatever. It's such a common occurrence on the Internet that we'd be negligent if we didn't look out for it. At the same time, we make no prejudgments. Funcook, for example, is coming out of his shell and is starting to feel like a real user. Eventually, with the benefit of hindsight, we may come to view the posts on this thread in a whole new light. Only time will tell. Until then, I can say that Thali really is excellent and everybody should go there.

FG, I readily admit that I'm rather naive when it comes to this business of shills, trolls, etc. That's why, for me, it's good that eGullet has administrators and moderators like you and Bux who look out for that sort of thing. But now that you have opened my eyes to the possibilities, I read the subsequent post by pa32rt300 (Fat Guy Posted on Mar 6 2003, 04:59 PM : "As if on cue . . . ") in a whole new light.

Being a Chef and living only miles from Thalia I would like to recommend this restaurant to any one interested in fine food and good service.

Although my strong points in cooking have not been the cuisine's of India, I would say because of Suvirs Indian forum I have learned a great deal.

I feel the teachings of Suvir and my personal background in the culinary arts affords me the oppurtunity to say "GO" and "Enjoy"

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

Having reenacted in my mind the few excellent Indian restaurant meals I've had in North America, I'd say the best were at Vij's in Vancouver, the second best were at Diwan in New York (almost a tie, depending on whether you prefer the nouvelle cuisine of Vij's or the more traditional approach of Diwan), the third best were at Thali, and the fourth best was at the East India Co. in Winnipeg (they also have a branch in Ottawa). I'm no expert on Indian cuisine, but these four places towered above all others in terms of their vibrancy and sophistication.