• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chorizo for paella

I'm going to cook a paella for a group this weekend (chicken, shrimp and chorizo), and I'll be following a recipe that was printed in the NYT about 2 years ago. It calls for 1/2 pound of chorizo, "peeled and into small cubes", and in the cooking process it is sauteed until "warmed through". Today I went and bought some fresh chorizo from a Spanish market, it is in a natural casing and is obviously totally raw. But the more I read the recipe, I think it implies the use of cured chorizo. Any thoughts? Will the dish still be good if I use the crumbled fresh instead?

Yes, it's different. Yes, it will still be good.

I suggest sauteeing the raw chorizo and then tossing the fats before adding to the rest of the dish though.

ediot:

Um.

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Purists in Valencia may look down on the "internationalized" paella which often mix chicken with seafood and yes, chorizo. Traditional paella typically does not mix meat from the land with fruit from the sea.

However, to each his/her own, I say, and I have had fabulous versions of both the purist's paella and the all in one type. There is something to be said for the less opulent, yet very savory versions in spain which focus on usually one type of flavor e.g. asparagus only, chicken only, snails...

Chorizo btw, is fabulous. My favorite is the Gran Doblon, which is a large bore piece of cured sausage which goes great with fresh bread and manchego cheese. However, for paella, one would use the thinner types such as chorizo pamplona.

On their own, quickly stir fried chorizo slices make a wonderful tapas.