• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pickled garlic

col klink

I seem to have an excess of garlic at the moment (8 heads) which means that a lot of it will sprout before I get a chance to cook with it. So I was thinking of pickling it for another day. Anyone do this before?

Oh yes, I will be roasting some of it too. :cool:

Rice vinegar, salt, lemongrass. Simmer then on low for half hour.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I love roasted garlic. And poached in EVOO. But isn't roasted garlic less open to the pickling process than raw because the cells have collapsed further?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Mon colonel, next day will be just fine.

Matt, o'course roasted garlic be good. But how about pickled roasted garlic's property of pickling? Sure, roasted garlic just drizzled with a good vinegar is great. But is this the same as pickling?

Two recipes here, from Quick Pickles by Chris Schlesinger and John Willoughby. I haven't made either, but I've been making other pickles from this book and all have worked well.

Copyright being what it is, I'll give you the gist and let you experiment (that's what I've done with the other recipes in the book and they've been fine).

One is Garlic with Asian Flavors. Calls for 2 to 3 heads of garlic, separated into cloves and peeled. Bring to a boil a quarter cup white vinegar, a couple tablespoons sherry or mirin, a quarter cup soy sauce, a quarter cup sugar and the juice from half a lime. You can add dried chiles and ginger slices if you want. Simmer the garlic cloves in this mixture for half a minute or so, then remove from heat and let cool. Cover and let stand refrigerated or at room temp for a couple of days before sampling. Will last a couple of months in the fridge.

The variation (Mediterranean Flavored Garlic) is about the same, omitting the sugar and soy. Substitute about a teaspoon of kosher salt for the soy, increase the sherry a bit, and add peppercorns and fresh oregano or rosemary instead of the ginger. Same preparation method.