• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coffee Mugs

awbrig

I wouldn't drink anything out of Tommy's eGullet mug. Regular readers will know why.

Being English, I eschew mugs. I need a cup and saucer. Fishs Eddie (silly name) on Broadway sells sturdy, moderately tasteful coffee cups for everyday use.

Edited by Wilfrid (log)

:biggrin:

Brava Liza! Didn't know it could be done!

At architects' office: Mug reads "Don't worry...there's a woman on the job!"

At Chicago Symphony Chorus: Mug from Chicago Symphony's most recent funding beg-a-thon radio broadcast

At church choir: Kitschy "St. Matthew's Church" mug

At home: (by myself) Funky old mug, '70's vintage

At home: (in front of other people) Nice white porcelain cups and saucers

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

• 8 months later...

I drink my coffee from an old dark blue mug because my boyfriend has stolen my white "Princeton Coffee House" mug--the one with the near breaking handle--given to me by the owner of the now defunct Princeton Coffee House when I left town. (The place closed a few months later in the fall of 1997.)

----------------------------------------------

Emily in London

http://www.august18th2007.com

I guess I am a little old fashioned but I did not appreciate the bunny cup-

and I do not post here to get offended!!!

I have a variety of tea cups and coffee cups-

several of which can be found on www.allteapots.com

my favorite cup is the butterfly from franz porcelain

and also losmonov cobalt net teamaker that can also be used as a coffee cup-

From glass bodum mugs........ since forever?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

One of the few advantages to working for a restaurant (other than the long hours and low pay of course...:huh: ) is having a cappuccino machine right downstairs at my disposal. First thing I do every day after dropping my stuff at my desk is go downstairs and make myself a big-assed latte. It's the only way to get my synapses firing or else my brain is like trying to spark a fire with wet kindling :blink:

I used to use the regular white cappuccino cups and saucers that we use for service. So many have broken though, that there aren't quite enough of them for service, and the waiters got tired of the graveyard of dirty cups behind my desk, so one of the waitstaff went around the corner to the $1 store and bought half a dozen REALLY BIG white ceramic mugs for we office bound types upstairs. :wub: The mug is big enough to draw stares from other folks in the elevator and constant ribbing from the guard in the lobby who busts my chops every time he sees me with my "morning gas tank!" :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I drink my drip coffee in a favored straigt sided mug. It's white glazed with a gold rim and has the logo for Syracuse's Landmark Theatre on it, a venue where I ran the bar on a part time basis for years. Part of my attraction is sentimental but on closer inspection I notice that it it has a thinner lip than my other mugs and the sipping experience is more pelasing in a subtle way for that reason (I think).

Espresso and lattes are a diiferent story. I've tried the Ikea 365 series, great bowl shape and inexpensive but very thin wall and heat retention is not good. I'm now using Inox 18/10 double wall stainless steel cappa and latte cups made by Frabosk. Expensive but worth it. I have the two larger sizes and will add the espresso demitasse size later. They're about $15 per cup and saucer combo but last forever and when preheated with really hot tap water they keep the drink warm for a remarkably long time so you can enjoy it slowly. I make a 1.5 oz ristretto shot (restricted pull double espresso) and top it off with 4.5 oz of foamed milk in my 6 oz cup - excellent!

Even more conveneint is the fact that the espresso machine type I have uses somethign known as the E61 style grouphead design - keeps hot water circulating throgh the head assembly for best temp stability. Because it is a heat exchanger machine (capable of steaming while puling shots), the brew water is a bit too hot for ideal shots after the machine has first warmed up or when it has been idle for a bit. The standard solutio is to draw off about 4- 6 oz of water through the empty portafilter before puling the first shot of the session. I just use this hot water to pre-heat the cup and no more trying to figure out how much water to pull off.

I think I want a latte.....

a blue ceramic nortel networks mug.

that is part of a set of 4 i was given in trade for favors.

love those mugs. best company mugs ever.

well aside from the clear glass etched mug with gilt rim i got from some employer, at some time. i forgot where...hmm.

• 3 weeks later...

I drink my coffee from bright-red latte (18-20 oz capacity) mugs I got from Pier 1. They still keep the red pattern in stock, but the mugs are long discontinued, in favor of a more humane 10-12oz coffee mug.

I love the size and sturdiness of these... and I can honestly say I have only 1 cup of coffee in the AM :wink:

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

I guess I am a little old fashioned but I did not appreciate the bunny cup-

and I do not post here to get offended!!!

Yes I find such realistic reproductions of bunny fornication to be a bit much for me too.

350+ posts and I still don't know how to use the quote boxes!

Edited by Coop (log)

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

speaking of which, :unsure:

3808408_F_tn.jpg

i sincerly hope you're not drinking out of those, or using to filter your coffee!

i drink out of various mugs collected as gifts from NPR pledges- my fav has signatures of classical composers. i also have the ubiquitous "cafe du monde" mug. another fav is one i ordered from "the onion" which reads "you are stupid" -perfect for hangovers. my work mug is an insulated metal "buck's county coffee company" mug purchased in d.c. definitely have to get an eg mug now!

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

We got lots of mugs in the house. From all kinds of computer show giveaways, etc. The bigger the mug the better, I say.

BTW, Ikea has these really good mugs for like a buck apeice.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

What do you all drink your coffee in when you're not drinking your Starbucks in a paper cup?

I'm one of these wierdos that really strongly prefers a ceramic mug, even at places like Starbucks or at work. Just doesn't feel right in paper or styrofoam (if I can help it, that is.)

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

We got lots of mugs in the house. From all kinds of computer show giveaways, etc. The bigger the mug the better, I say.

BTW, Ikea has these really good mugs for like a buck apeice.

I've got a few of those bucket-sized mugs, but I only use them when I'm out of regular sized mugs - the coffee gets cold too quickly in them.

This thread has opened a recent wound.

I am a creature a habit. Habits which are etched in stone. Any deviation can cause my poor, OCD personality to take a nose-dive.

I like to rise 30 minutes before my wife. I make coffee and heat milk. I slip on shoes and run downstairs for the newspaper. By the time I'm back in the kitchen, the coffee has completed it's transformation from water to ambrosia and the milk is steaming hot. Sometimes a use a frother, sometimes not, but it has been my habit to combine milk and coffee in a white cafe au lait bowl I brough back from my first trip to France 23 years ago. I have used it ever since.

Until a week ago yesterday when my six year old accidentally knocked it out of the cupboard. I pretended it didn't bother me -- it was an accident, after all -- but not a day has gone by that I haven't missed it. Mugs seem foreign and -- well -- uncivilized. I've lost more than a bowl.

That bowl reminded me of so many things -- my youth, Paris, first love, staying out all night drinking coffee, loosing my virginity, my first hangover, my first boulangerie, my first offal tasting, my culinary awakening. Now all I'm reminded of is the passing of time and the ravages of age.

I guess I should start saving for a vacation in France.

Wow -- I'm a real downer today. I usually don't get depressed reading these posts! Hope I didn't bum you out too badly! Who would have thought a cafe au lait bowl would prompt a midlife crisis!

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

Wow -- I'm a real downer today.  I usually don't get depressed reading these posts!  Hope I didn't bum you out too badly!  Who would have thought a cafe au lait bowl would prompt a midlife crisis!

Not at all, Aidan. What a wonderful post about such a sad event. It's hard to say goodbye to something with so many memories associated with it.

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

• 2 years later...

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/techinno...op_x.htm?csp=15

A team of undergraduates at the university in Socorro designed a ceramic mug that can fall 15 feet onto concrete pavement and still hold a full cup of java afterward without leaking.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host