• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canned corned beef

torakris

I’ve not had it in ages but have a bit of a soft spot for canned corned beef:

Served cold, in cheap white bread sandwiches with Branston pickle is something I’ll always love. 

The other childhood memory I have of it is corned beef rissoles which my grandmother used to make - mashed potato, corned beef and onions; made into patties and fried in butter 😋 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, &roid said:

The other childhood memory I have of it is corned beef rissoles which my grandmother used to make - mashed potato, corned beef and onions; made into patties and fried in butter 😋 

Yeah!  Yeah!   But I don’t think I could do it today.  I’ll just enjoy the memory and not muck it up with reality.  Thanks. Hadn’t thought of these in decades.  

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I actually quite like the salty, meaty punch of canned corned beef.  It was always a breakfast food for us - slid out of the can and sliced and fried in butter.  Momma always served it with eggs.  As an adult, I decided it needed hash browns on the side, too.  I don't ever try to sub it for actual corned beef - completely different thing to me.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, &roid said:

I’ve not had it in ages but have a bit of a soft spot for canned corned beef:

Served cold, in cheap white bread sandwiches with Branston pickle is something I’ll always love. 

Yes, this is how my Dad made it, with mashed potatoes like a hash or patties. He was from the Merseyside.

• Like 2

I like a casserole made with canned corned beef, cooked pasta, cabbage, onion, celery and Swiss cheese with a little milk. Pretty sure I got the recipe off the Hormel corned beef can years ago. I don't make it anymore because it makes a ton and the cabbage doesn't freeze too well IMO. So being on my own now, it's out of the rotation. I still keep a tin of corned beef in the pantry in case of power outages from hurricanes or ice storms. Oh, the casserole has mustard and carroway seed too, and it is really good.

• Like 5

> ^ . . ^ <

My parents were both in London, England during the war, so canned corned beef was a treat for us. So were sardines. Both on toast. The former with mild mustard, the latter with watercress.

I'm interested in your recipe, @Thanks for the Crepes, though I'd likely substitute modern corned beef (meaning recently made, not canned).

• Like 3

19 hours ago, TdeV said:

My parents were both in London, England during the war, so canned corned beef was a treat for us. So were sardines. Both on toast. The former with mild mustard, the latter with watercress.

I'm interested in your recipe, @Thanks for the Crepes, though I'd likely substitute modern corned beef (meaning recently made, not canned).

Here it is:

Corned Beef and Cabbage Casserole

4 c. chopped cabbage

1 c. sliced celery

1/2 c. chopped onion

1/4 c. butter

8 oz. mostaccioli noodles cooked and drained

1 can (12 oz.) canned corned beef

1 c. (4 oz.) Swiss cheese shredded

1/2 c. milk

1/2 t. dry mustard, but prepared mustard works very fine and I like a lot of it in there, about 1/4 cup

1/2 t. caraway  seed

1/8 t. black pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/ 177 C. Saute cabbage, celery, onion in butter until tender. Add remaining ingredients. Mix well and spoon into 2 qt. casserole. Original recipe says to cover and bake 45 to 50 minutes until heated. 8 servings. I always cooked the past first, drained it in a colander and let that sit there while I sauteed the veggies and mixed them in the same pasta pot to keep the dish washing down.

Some adaptations I've made over the years have been to increase cabbage to 6 c., celery to 2 c. and onion to 1 c., but I like a lots of veggies. I also find it imperative to remove the cover to let the pasta and cabbage caramelize a bit. I think I also increased the milk a bit and the cheese to compensate for the extra veggies. I like it and find it tastes a bit like a Reuben. I was scared of the caraway seed at first, but that is what makes it IMO. There is no salt added because there is plenty in the corned beef. I also put this in Recipe Gullet for searching purposes. 

If you try this, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have over the years.

• Like 4

> ^ . . ^ <

• 1 year later...

Looking for something to redeem the canned corn beef hash I made yesterday.   I thought it was awful.  Boring.  One note.  Ed liked it.  

My local library has a "Cookbook cooking club" to which I belong.  It's fun but a bit of a chore sometimes...the problem for me is that whatever you bring to this month's theme is supposed to come from a cookbook from the library.  This month is "Comfort food" and I found a recipe for Corned Beef Hash, beloved by the woman who sent it in for this cookbook and apparently her entire family unto the third generation to date.  Thought I would test it first at home.  And it makes a lot!  Two whole meals left to go. 

So I've searched through eGullet's canned corn beef contributions and not been excited by any of them.  What I have actually come up with is taking off the Buttermilk biscuit topping and adding chopped Rajas (roasted Poblano strips)  to the mixture and replacing the topping and heating it up.

Has anyone else found any other ideas?

ps.  Scrapple, as noted above by JoNorvelleWalker.  Friends from Delaware brought the wretched square grey stuff and fried it for breakfast one Dog Weekend many years ago.  The dogs ate well that morning.   Rule: never eat grey square meat. 

• Haha 6

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

@Darienne what was in it? Onions and potatoes?

I've made an "Irish stir fry" with CB, potato chunks and onions. Cooked loose, as opposed to a patty. Tossed at the end with a mixture of ketchup and sriracha enough to lightly glaze...cooked a little more. Not bad.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

@Darienne what was in it? Onions and potatoes?

I've made an "Irish stir fry" with CB, potato chunks and onions. Cooked loose, as opposed to a patty. Tossed at the end with a mixture of ketchup and sriracha enough to lightly glaze...cooked a little more. Not bad.

CB, onions, potatoes, canned corn, buttermilk biscuits.  I added some grated Parmesan.   I could have done without the corn...hard for me to digest. 

Ed suggested adding ketchup...but I couldn't see it.   And I don't 'know' sriracha although I have some in the fridge.  Still haven't used it.  I guess I will now. 

I'm going to make the original for my meeting...except I'll make the biscuits from scratch.  

• Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I've found that, in recent years and in general, the quality of tinned corned beef sucks!

It's not chunky, it's more like mush!

It also often tastes metallic.

Anyway, when I could find decent tinned corned beef (I generally eat the low-carb way) I made corned beef hash with rutabaga rather than potato—it's tasty and relatively low-carb.

I now make my own canned corned beef.

• Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!