• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hanger Steak

Ron Johnson

Is this the same cut of meat that is commonly sold at street fairs in New York as Hanger Steak? Usually at these fairs it is literally hanging on big rotating racks over a flame, while being basted with a lime-flavored marinade.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

While adding spices (other than salt and pepper) and marinade to steak is heresey, it is doubly so for onglet, as those flavors will inevitably mask the pungent flavor of that particular cut of beef.

A little salt, a little pepper and a little fire. That's all it needs.

While adding spices (other than salt and pepper) and marinade to steak is heresey, it is doubly so for onglet, as those flavors will inevitably mask the pungent flavor of that particular cut of beef.

but if the flavor is particularly pungent (and by "pungent" i'm reading "strong"), why would adding flavor be "doubly" heresy? it would seem that it would be characterized as "almost herasy" since the flavor of the beef would have a better chance of standing out over the spicing than say that of a strip steak. :hmmm:

Onglette:

fc8f80c6.jpg

After this shot was taken I removed it from the cow. I butched it added S&P and seared it to medium rare - medium in a hot cast iron pan, that had been greased with rendered amish bacon.

Tender and delicious, with very little strong taste.

Nick

Picked up some hanger steak on Saturday for dinner. There were several pieces to choose from (all vacuum packed) and I opted for a cylinder- shaped piece again for ease of slicing and presentation.

Delicious, as usual. Way up there as one of my favorites cuts, right after sirloin strip. Nicely seared and crusty without, rare within. Served with haricots verts, baked sweet potatoes and a bottle of cote rotie.

Guigal '95 Brune et Blonde. Had it twice a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it so I thought I'd try it again to see how it's doing. I love it -- it was a little peppery and tasted a bit like green olives, too, over a deep berryish flavor.

About a month ago we opened a Gugial '95 Chateau d'Ampuis that a friend had given us and I was disappointed. It just wasn't anything special. I think it might have been cooked.

Anyway, that's my sum total of experience with Cote Rotie so far. I've got a bottle of Jaboulet 97 Les Jumelles that I picked up on a whim because the price was good (about 35 euros) but I haven't heard too many great things about it.

(edited for spelling error)

Edited by bushey (log)

• 1 year later...

Cooked one of the hanger steaks last nite.

I cut the hanger in half, butterflied each piece, pounded slightly as per Bourdains input.

I put together a marinade from America's test kitchen of lite soy, crushed ginger and garlic, vegetable oil, sesame oil and scallion.

After 90 minutes pulled from the marinade and dried the steak.

Cooked on high in cast iron for two and a half minutes per side.

Let rest for five minutes.

It ranged depending on thickness from medium rare to rare.

It was tender and full of flavor. One of the best tastes from steak I have had at home in a long time. Loved it.

• 2 months later...

I cook a hangar steak entree at my work and I'll tell you, it is a nice cut of meat...especially since it is so cheap. I think we get it for 2.50 a pound. There is only one per cow and it is high in fat. It seems to me to be like a cross between tenderloin and flank steak, very moist and flavorful... Not that there is a piece of meat that you shouldn't let rest after cooking, but with a hangar you MUST let it rest for at least 3 or 4 minutes or elsee all the juice will end up on your board instead of in your gullet.

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

Hanger, skirt, and flank are my favorite cuts, in order, for making "tiger tears grilled beef."

It's a thai dish. Marinate the steak in dark soy, fish sauce, and palm sugar. Grill over high heat. Rest. Serve over greens with a spicy/fishy dipping sauce of fish sauce, soy sauce, lime juice, and chiles. I use the recipe from Real Thai by Nancie McDermott but I shortcut the chile preperation with commercial chile-garlic sauce because I'm often short on time.

Edited by pork (log)

• 8 months later...

Anyone found this cut in their market lately? I found a couple of packages this week at a large local chain (I don't know if they cut their own or not. Do grocery stores do that anymore?) I put them over wood coals for 3 minutes on each side. They were absolutely decadent. Great flavor - sort of minerally and livery and beefy all at the same time, not like a rib-eye that tastes like fat. Great chew, as well.

Is this becoming more readily available? Sure hope my market keeps this up. I'll be speaking to someone about it next time I go.

Stop Family Violence

My mistake :biggrin:

Edited by winesonoma (log)

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Wow, how is that I'm just finding this thread now? We've had a bit of a Hangar obsession in vancouver for a few months now and thankfully nwyles brought it in for us all to satisfy our cravings. Hangar is now one of my favorite cuts.

^I think this calls for a nice, heaping helping of gingerbread pudding. (Maybe I helped you sell a few of those too?) :wub:

Back to hangar--I've cooked it 2 ways. Once, I did it with an anchovy/olive oil/parsley/garlic sauce. The other time I marinated the steak overnight in red wine, shallots, garlic, Worcestershire, and a whole slew of other ingrediants. I found no difference in tenderness (overnight marinade vs. no marinade). Both times, I cooked the steaks bloody raw. I mean, rare. :laugh:

• 1 year later...

I've been talking with an organic beef man at our local farmers market in upstate NY about hanger steak. It's my all-time favorite cut of cow (I hear it's less en vogue than in the past few years, but food isn't fashion), but difficult to find. After a emailing back and forth, the farmer has told me his butcher has agreed to cut me one if I was willing to but a whole hanger (twist my arm). Here's the sticky wicket, although I love the hanger, I've only actually prepared it once before (and I felt it could have treated it better); I've mostly only had it in restaurants.

So if anyone out there has any suggestions on preparation notions for a hanger I would be grateful for them. Also, I would love to get some wine accompanying suggestions (<$20/750ml) for the dinner. I had been thinking of Guigal’s Cotes du Rhone, but that’s more of default wine choice than one really thought through.

Alamut was the mountain fortress of Hassan i Sabbah and the later heads of the Assassins. Alamut represents more than just a physical place, more even than a symbolic home of the movement. Alamut was with you in what you did; Alamut was in your heart from the moment of your arrival and introduction to "Heaven" until the moment you died.

I have a couple of ways that I like to prepare this cut of meat. One is to make a red wine-shallot sauce using...well red wine, shallots, butter and some demi glace. I find that it is an almost perfect topping for the onglet and I can almost get the sauce to taste like that served at Les Halles in New York.

My second favorite, and much more complicated, method is from a local restaurant recipe (with minor modifications) that I probably make 4-5 times a year because people love it so much:

Mix together the following:

2 cups of your favorite BBQ sauce (you could use homemade, but Sweet baby Ray's works fine for me)

1 cup of red wine

5-6 chopped shallots

3-4 bay leaves

Marinade the meat in this mixture overnight.

Remove the meat from the marinade and wipe off excess sauce.

Strain the marinade reserving both the solids and liquid. Sautee the solids for a few minutes until translucent. Add another cup of red wine and reduce until almost dry. Add the reserved marinade liquid and simmer for about 10 minutes

Strain again and discard solids. Slowly whisk in 2 tablespoons of butter and add a teaspoon or so of sherry or red wine vinegar.

Grill or pan cook steaks to desired doneness (no more than med-rare..I pull them off aroun 125 degrees and let them rest). Top with sauce and serve with frites or cilantro lime rice.

Explore the food, beverages, and people of Wisconsin EatWisconsin.com

I really don't think that hanger steak needs any special treatment at all, apart from the care involved in trimming it well and keeping it rare. I say this having just eaten one - merely salted, peppered and cooked in a hot (but not smoking hot) skillet for a couple of minutes each side. Marinating it will only mask the somewhat distinctive flavor - and if you don't like that rather rich taste, why bother with this cut?

Toledo, Ohio must be the most backwoods city in the midwest. I have been trying to get this here for almost 3 years. I have called and/or stopped in to every beef retailer in the area. 90% of the "butchers", (and I use that word loosely), have never even heard of it. The other 10% tell me that they can't get it. In all cases I ask where I can get it and they say they don't know. I have literally called and stopped in at over 16 retailers. According to our phone book there are no butchers in the area.

I have had onglet/hanger steaks at many restaurants throughout the U.S. including Les Halles. I love the texture and flavor and want to make it at home. What do I have to do, mail order for a piece economical cheap meat, or move out of Toledo, Ohio. Logic is telling me to move out of Toledo. Yes, this is the city where our Mayor proposed to move all of the Deaf people out by the airport.

Gary