• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

C-CAP

ngatti

What a great event, sure to please all the chef groupies out there. A score card was definitely needed. Daniel Boulud was the guest of honor. His parfait-like shot class of Bouef en Gelee with Vegetables and Horseradish Cream was one of the finest things I've ever eaten. In one bite, I processed the entire haute cuisine vs. Italian/terroir arguments. This was the epitome of transforming ingredients into a very complex flavor conglomerate. It sang to me on many viscerel and intellectual levels.

There was great food from many chefs. I got to schmooze with a lot of people and to eat some bitchin' great food. But for me, it all comes back to Bouluds dish (which was repesenting DB Moderne).

A close second was RM's, Sea Scallop with Cuke Gelee and Caviar.

More later.

Nick

very cool Nick.  describe the dishes more... More info please!  Did you meet Chef Boulud?

Meet Chef Boulud? Sure it's easy. You walk up to him, extend your hand and tell him you've met a mutual friend on eGullet.com :biggrin:. His face then explodes into a grin and you tell him how brilliant his food is.

Just a shameless name dropper :wink:

Nick

Okay guys. Thirty-nine restos represented, with Oak Ridge Chard and Cab wines by Mondavi. Champagne by Gosset.

Restos:

Abigail Kirsch, Aix, Annisa, Aquavit, @ SQC, Atelier, Aureole, Bayard's, Beacon, Blue Fin, Blue Hill, Craft, Daniel, Cafe Boulud, DB Bistro Moderne, Fauchon, Felidia, Fiamma, Fifty Seven Fifty Seven, Fleur de Sel, Gotham B&G, Ilo, Judson Grill, Lutece, The Mark, Nobu, Olives, Patroon, Payard patisserie, Picholine, rm, Sarabeth's Bakery, The Sea Grill, Tabla, Town, USC, Verbena, Washington Park.

Another notable was Nobu's "Kobe Beef Chips with Spring Salsa" . Great Hors-douevre served on a thin crisp slice of lotus root. Waygu that seemed to be marinated and served with what looked like a scallion salsa. A terrific bite. The problem becomes, how many of these superb ideas can I steal and still look at myself in the mirror in the morning? :smile:

Great walk-around format, plenty of food. Plenty of time to sample all and still get your bids in on the silent auction. Wonderfully well organized affair. The logistics must have been extraordinarily difficult, but everything, from valet parking, to coat check, to Check-in was transparent and smooth as silk.

Nick

Nick

Another notable was Nobu's "Kobe Beef Chips with Spring Salsa" .  Great Hors-douevre served on a thin crisp slice of lotus root.  Waygu that seemed to be marinated and served with what looked like a scallion salsa.  A terrific bite.  The problem becomes, how many of these superb ideas can I steal and still look at myself in the mirror in the morning? :smile:

Nick was the lotus root deep-fried?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM