• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Cook's Tour

Liza

OK,

So I slacked and missed recording A cook's tour, when it was being aired on foodtv. I understand that this show will not be available on DVD or VHS (it would have been great if aired in HDTV format).

How does one go about hunting for/borrowing/sharing such a precious episodes? I am hoping my fellow eGullet members can assist me.

Cheers

Percy

• 2 months later...

A Cook's Tour is finally being aired in the UK on UK Food TV. The full schedule for the show is here.

I caught four episodes in a row last night that covered Tokyo, rural Japan, Russia, the Mekong and Cambodia. I could have watched another four. Absolutely riveting stuff. I loved the fact that Bourdain is happy to show his emotions on screen. If he's tired and hungry and pissed off at having to follow the local guide around a Malaysian market in Singapore while she show's him every product available, then he doesn't waste energy trying to look interested.

Conversely, later in the same show, he genuinely seems to be having the time of his life at a seafood restaurant, tucking in with relish to giant crab claws and spotted grouper.

Although he's undoubtedly the star of the show, the really appealing thing is his obvious respect for food and those who prepare it. It's not "look at me, aren't I wonderful" but "look at this, isn't it amazing."

A Cook's Tour is finally being aired in the UK on UK Food TV. The full schedule for the show is here.

Although he's undoubtedly the star of the show, the really appealing thing is his obvious respect for food and those who prepare it. It's not "look at me, aren't I wonderful" but "look at this, isn't it amazing."

That's the difference between a celebrity and a star.

SB

If you know how to work with BitTorents, Season 1 and Season 2 of the Cook's Tour are currently being distributed. They are huge downloads, 3GB and 1.7GB respectively, but if you missed the shows when they were televised, here is an opportunity to see them. :wink:

If you know how to work with BitTorents, Season 1 and Season 2 of the Cook's Tour are currently being distributed. They are huge downloads, 3GB and 1.7GB respectively, but if you missed the shows when they were televised, here is an opportunity to see them.  :wink:

I have the client, but I googled a bit and couldn't find a link to the Cook's Tour torrents. Would you care to share the link?

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Send a private message to me and I will send you the tracker info

If you know how to work with BitTorents, Season 1 and Season 2 of the Cook's Tour are currently being distributed. They are huge downloads, 3GB and 1.7GB respectively, but if you missed the shows when they were televised, here is an opportunity to see them.   :wink:

I have the client, but I googled a bit and couldn't find a link to the Cook's Tour torrents. Would you care to share the link?

Damn near had a heart attack when I found A Cook's Tour airing at 8:00 p.m. this evening on Food Network Canada. Did anyone else manage to catch it? It was the Australian episode when Bourdain journeys through the Outback to Tetsuya's in Sydney.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Hopefully by the time I get home from work today I will have the first two seasons ready to go. My Tivo managed to snag one off of of FoodTV at like 3:30 am or something ridiculous the other day, it was the one were Tony goes to New Orleans.

I thought parts of the production were incredibly hokey and sometimes the humor felt really forced, but parts were genuininely entertaining and the food of course all looked incredible. I am 75% of the way through Kitchen Confidential, and his TV persona just seems radically different from what I was getting from the book. I think I will hold off final judgement until I see some more episodes, perhaps N.O. is too tame a town for Bourdain to really go nuts.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

I thought parts of the production were incredibly hokey and sometimes the humor felt really forced...

This is true for a lot of the second season (but it was particually bad in the NOLA episode). The first season is much, much better IMO. Parts of the second season were just painful to watch. Better then 90% of most food TV, but still wince-inducing.

I assume you're joking about NOLA being a "tame" town though... :unsure:

Well, my season 2 downloaded so I burned a couple onto VCD and watched them tonight. I saw the bars episode, which was fairly underwhelming, I was hoping for more in depth food content, but at least it wasn't hokey. I also saw the Rio episode, which totally rocked. This was hands down one of the best food related shows I have ever seen, so, as long as Bourdain's travels are more along this level when he is outside of the country I think I will really enjoy the rest of the show.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere