• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Cook's Tour

Liza

Damn tony... you must go through Imodium by the gross... that Dende oil is serious GI lubricant

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Damn tony... you must go through Imodium by the gross... that Dende oil is serious GI lubricant

Yeah, I think he was fixating. But that's in character.....Next week he'll be sportin' a kangaroo suit and a fifth of some indiginous potation as he weeds through the restaurants of Australia and makes obscure loaded references to the mafia. Every week is something new--good or bad. This week was great...

More Brazil this week (with lots more booze, one can be sure), and then a serious drinking (NYC barhopping) show on the 21st.

I love it when ACT degenerates into an episode of "Drink-a-long with Tony"

"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." - H. L. Mencken

I thought I saw at the end of the show:

RIP Fabio .........

Was this the Fabio who was on the show? If yes, what a bummer.

When Tony asked rhetorically "Do I drink too much on this show" my daughter (4) replied "Yes, Tony drinks too much."

Great show

I missed it. I havent seen this show yet but am dying to... having just read Kitchen Confidential for the first time. Does it just play at 8PM on Fridays? Or does it rerun at all....Couldnt find it in my TV Guide except @ 8...

Rio looked wonderful. Another great show. What was that oh so catchy tune Tony was humming tonight? (As he walked away, on the boat etc.) It's gotta be from a flick. Am I right?

Many parts of a pine tree are edible.

Very recently, Fabio Maranhao was shot to death--for no discernible reason--by person or persons unknown. He will be remembered by all of us lucky enough to have known him. He was exactly as you saw him. A good hearted, good natured, outgoing guy with a sense of humor--and a true carioca.

abourdain

Oh man that totally sucks.

Rachel and I are curious: What did the guy do to support himself? Work on the beach?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

When do we get to see this in the UK?????

I know Channel 4 were considering picking up the programme but didn't take up the option

I do think they offered Tony a place on "Help, I'm a Celebrity Chef, get me outta here" though

I hope they someone picks it up soon or he may come over lots more to do more personal appearances and boost his profile. God save us :smile:

S

Edited by Simon Majumdar (log)

I'm so sorry to hear about Fabio, I practically fell in love with him just watching the show, he seemed like a real blast...and then as it was going off we saw..."Dedicated to Fabio". That's terrible, my prayers are with his family and friends.

Tony, I'm glad you posted this, I was looking all over the web this morning trying to find out what happened.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone catch tonight's episode in Minneapolis?

I loved the whole Mall of America/mass commerical food theme in the beginning.

What was the bob's big boy reference at the end when bourdain was on the beach?

I have one of those chopper things he made fun of (well, not that brand, but something similar). They're great for chopping nuts or mass quantities of garlic. Especially things that tend to fly off the cutting board when cut with a knife.

I want a bobble-head too!

So when are we going to see the egullet store at Mall of America?...think about it, you could produce toy dolls of your favorite

e-gullet personalities...I could see "the Brits" selling quite well, though you might have to find a separate display consul for the Plotnicki doll...

On second thought, Nevermind.

I have one of those chopper things he made fun of (well, not that brand, but something similar). They're great for chopping nuts or mass quantities of garlic. Especially things that tend to fly off the cutting board when cut with a knife.

Tony's line, "I could fire all my chefs", was too funny.

(Is your chop-chop Pampered Chef like my mom's is?)