• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bologna Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations

Alex F

We had a great dinner in BITONE, last may. It is a 1 Michelin place with lovely atmosphere. My son recalls wonderful lasagna and an amazing dessert with strawberries. I just recall the quality and the fact that I would certainly go back.

Michlen link

"Eat every meal as if it's your first and last on earth" (Conrad Rosenblatt 1935)

http://foodha.blogli.co.il/

For good regional wine lists and excellent equally regional food go to Paradisino (Via Coriolano Vighi 33 - 051 566401) and Gigna (Via Stendhal, 1 - 051 322132) don't miss the tortellini at either. When in Emilia Romagna drink the wines ofs Fattoria Zerbina - the best in the region and one of Italy's best wineries. They are in Faenza in Romagna and worth the visit (0546-400220) and they speak English.

I had a lovely dinner at La Caminetta D'Oro a few months ago.You'll probably need a reservation,unless you have an early dinner.The food is fancy/rustic-roasts and local meats[great culatello].The staff was friendly and professional.

Shameless shilling for a distant cousin. And this is probably too late to do you any good, but...

If you have a car and want to go off the beaten path, may I suggest,

Trattoria ai Gessi, via Gessi 15, Gessi, Zola Predosa (Bo). It is about 20 to 30 minutes outside of town, depending upon traffic.

The owner-chefs are Jill & Luigi, 39-(0)51-758136. My great-grandfather is her great-great-grandfather so the relationship is distant enough for me to have no claim on her success and fortune. She is from London. He from Bologna. They run this place together -- she cooks, he hosts. They live over the restaurant. It is not super haute cuisine, but it is very imaginative local cooking. In season, they make a wonderful nettle pasta. Their desserts are a combination of Italian-English puddings. As in Zuppa Inglese ala Inglese. Jill has taken a lot of ideas from Luigi's mother. As a kid she and her family spent a lot of time in Italy. The gall of an English chef setting up shop near the center of Italian gourmandary has attracted some favorable local reviews. I have eaten two meals there with great enjoyment.

If the story piques your curiosity, give them a call and tell them Jill's cousin, Ben from Boston sent you. At the very least, the curiosity of it all is worth an inquiry.

Second the o[pinion for the Michlin starred Bitone. It's chef/owner is exuberant and a real ambassador for his restaurant and the city. Also, Battebecco is another Michelin starred restaurant just off of the square whre Via Independenza dead ends. Not quite as upscale, even a bit more casual it is still excellent. Superb risotto, made correctly.

Also don't forget to explore Bologna's market. It is one of the best in the world. I've actually walked into a cheese shop there, handed the man behind the counter twenty Euros and asked for (and had) a taste of every cheese in the store. Later I found an enoteca for balance!

Thankyou to everyone that replied. I have just got back and had a fantastic time.

Managed to get to Bitone and it was very good, the Tortellini with a egg yolk-ie sauce instead of broth was fantastic.

Went to lots of other very good/recommended restaurants which I won't bore you with here. E-mail me if you want a list.

Thanks again to everyone who replied

Alex

Thankyou to everyone that replied. I have just got back and had a fantastic time.

Managed to get to Bitone and it was very good, the Tortellini with a egg yolk-ie sauce instead of broth was fantastic.

Went to lots of other very good/recommended restaurants which I won't bore you with here. E-mail me if you want a list.

Alex

Come on Alex - you can't leave it like this! Share some highlights with all of us, please. :smile:

Alex

Alex - PLEASE!!! post your notes. The longer and more detailed you make them the more we love them. One of the great assets of this board are real time and personal restaurant reviews. Don't forget your wine notes!

Bore us! We beg you!

Sorry everyone, I didn’t want to seem self indulgent but here goes ….

Monday

Ristorante Franco Rossi, Via Goito 3, Bologna

A fantastic place that I’d heard about from Lynne Rossetto-Kasper’s book ‘The Splendid Table’ a recipe book about Emilia-Romagna.

We were so well looked after, the staff were so kind and welcoming. Two local chefs on their night off were eating in there that night!

Highlights were the Venison with Chianti-risotto and the Gelato di Aceto Traditionale.

Also were invited to tour there wine cellar. Had a magnificent bottle of 1997 Sangiovese di Romagna, TAULETO from Umberto Cesari. Also had a bottle of Ermete Medici ‘Concerto’ Lambrusco Reggiano Secco

Tuesday

Diana, Via dell'Indipendenza 24, Bologna

Another recommendation from Lynne Rossetto-Kasper’s book.

Highlight was the Spuma di Mortadella, a mortadella mouse as a prima course. The recepie for this is actually in the book and I have since made my version of it.

Then had the Bolito Misto which was also very good.

Wednesday

Bitone, Via Emilia Levante 111, Bologna

Everything you all said it would be.

Highlights were the Tortellini that I’ve already mentioned and also the most incredible chocolate Dolci. We had a selection with a half bottle of Recioto do Valpolicella .

One point to mention, if you’re staying centrally in Bologna get a taxi to Bitone don’t try to walk it!

Thursday

Ristorante ‘San Domenico’, Via Sacchi 1, Imola

The first thing I’ve got to say is that it’s very hard to find but worth it.

If you’re staying in Bologna and plan on driving the down the Via Emilia to visit this restaurant, book a hotel for that night.

We chose the 8 course tasting menu.

The highlights were :-

Uovo in raviolo “San Dominico” con tartufo scorzone – which is a large single ravioli with spinach and ricotta, egg yolk and shaved white truffle.

Petto di Quagalia arrostito alla Santoreggia - Quail breast cooked to perfection.

Also a fantastic selection of local artisan chesses.

Sorry once again but hope this makes up for it.

Thanks again for all of your interest.

Alex

Thanks Alex - now I have more places to add to my list. Can't wait for my next visit to Bologna. Posts like this are wonderful and useful. I hope all eGullet people traveling to Italy take the time to post their notes and experiences.

So many restaurants so little time!

I am building a database of restaurant experiences. May I add your notes to my database Alex?

Thanks again.

I am building a database of restaurant experiences. May I add your notes to my database Alex?

Craig

Yes of course.

I'm spending 2 days in Verona next week, if I find any gems I'll let you .... and everyone else ! I promise.

Do you have any recommendations ?

Best wishes

Alex

• 3 months later...

I've just come back from a great weekend in Bologna and luckily stumbled across this forum before I went. I tried Diana (thanks for the recommendation Alex). The food really was excellent, but to get the most out of the place brush up on your Italian as the waiting staff didn't go out of their way to help out with understanding the menu. I had the entrecotte which was excellently cooked, but I wish I knew the dish didnt come with any vegetables.

Another place I had good food and excellent service was Da Nello on Via Montegrappa (I think). By the looks of it, it is an old establised restaurant, good honest no frills food, and we were made to feel very welcome.

Rgds

Mikey

• 11 months later...

great historic pastry shop called atti definitely deserves a visit as well as tamburini which is great for lunch both right downtown. also there's a really good wine bar that offers a pasta or hot plate each evening right around the corner from hotel roma think the street is battibecco or something there's a restaurant of the same name (elegant and expensive but good food) right down the same alley. will you have a car?

Ciao Ciccini riluttanti

Tamburini is a old and historic deli shop in bologna, typical trap for tourists.

Battibecco restaurant is even a trickier trap. Very expensive. They are awarded with a michelin star, totally unexplicable.

If you are interested to discover a young chef, very talented, try il Cambio tel 051/328118.

This is a real scoop!

If you are driving a car and you like mediterranean creative cuisine don't miss Terre del Riso in Medicina (about 20/25km north of Bologna).

Mucca

Edited by crazycow28 (log)

I highly recommend Bitone. I think we were there about a year and a half ago. Very friendly atmosphere and great food. We had kind of salad with prawns, octopus, Rukula, pine nuts and cucumber ery tasty. Great cheese tortellini. Prime quality of meats. For desserts we had something good with chocolate and tiny strawberries (a local specialty?) with amazing zabione.

We had a fine Sangiovese which was followed by great Cabernet sauvignon named Magnificat Tenuta La Plazza Drei Dona.

Deserves the 1 star Michelin awarded

"Eat every meal as if it's your first and last on earth" (Conrad Rosenblatt 1935)

http://foodha.blogli.co.il/

Hello Zip:

Figured this would be a good place to make my first post at EG, been lurking for a while.

We honeymooned in Italy last fall and spent some time in Bologna. There's the adage that you can't have a bad meal in Bologna and I agree!

Here's the places we went in Bologna I'd recommend:

Montegrappa Da'Nello and Tinello. I'll have to look up their addresses in my journal but can post them if you'd like. Montegrappa was a "destination" place I'd previously read about in researching our trip. We ate there our last night and it was fantastic, and the servers were very courteous and personable. Tinello is a place we just wandered into on a chance and it too, was great.

We also ate lunch at Diana but the service was downright frosty. Granted we were a little underdressed, given some of the other clientele, but I'd much prefer the welcome we got at Montegrappa and Tinello.

If you have I car while there, I'd highly recommend looking into Villa Gaidello in Castelfranco Emilia, on the outskirts of Bologna. It was probably the best meal of the trip. It's a B&B in the countryside and it serves a nightly multicourse dinner. All you do is show up and brace yourself! It's 65 Euros but it's all you can drink! :wacko:

Hope this helps . . .

Bitone is outstanding with an exhuberant chef owner; worthy of its Michelin star. I've been to Battebecco five or six times over the past ten years and believe that it has "lost something," no longer-for me-worthy of its star.