• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gourmet Grocers Near Larkspur

Wimpy

Hi guys-

I travel alot on business, mostly to Australia and points in Asia (as I am based in Singapore). Recently however, I have been appointed to the board of directors of a startup based in Larkspur CA (Marin County). When on business and travelling alone, I hate dining out as I find there is something sad about eating "all by my lonesome".

What I do like to do when travelling alone, is eating in the privacy of my hotel room with delicacies bought in local groceries or restaurants with take out service.

Can anyone recommend any good grocers or decent take out food in the Larkspur area? My best find was the Woodland Market in Kentfield. The only other one like it that I know of is Draeger's Market (way down south in San Mateo). They had pretty good prepared foods and fantastic portion sized fruit cobblers. I am also always bowled over by the sheer overabundance of American fruit and vegetable sections!

Any suggestion? :unsure:

Edited by Wimpy (log)

Welcome to California, at least the next time you're here.

Try Mollie Stone's in the Bon Air shopping center on Sir Francis Drake just off of Highway 101 in Larkspur proper. It's bigger than Woodland's, but similar in scope. I think it's a small local chain.

As for good take out in Larkspur, I'm not sure, but I'll ask around. I work in Kentfield, but commute from Oakland, so I'd be interested in expanding my dining experiences too. What kind of food do you like?

My two favorite things to eat at Woodland's (it's right next to work, so I go there at least once a week) are the local blues sandwich (Nieman Ranch roast beef, Pt Reyes blue cheese, spinach, red onion, and tomato on cibatta or sour roll) and the roasted chicken club sandwich (roast chicken, pancetta, spring mix, tomato, and basil aioli).

If you're in town and have the time and inclination, we can probably wrangle a few egulleters to have dinner with you too. :smile:

In addition to those mentioned above, there is a Bryan's Fine Foods in the shopping center called Town Center, which is just down the street in Corte Madera. It is small, but the quality of the meat/seafood is better than at Mollie Stones, IMHO. Its one of the few places that sells prime beef and top grade ahi.

Also in that shopping center is AG Ferrari which is a small chain of high-end/high-priced Italian delis, and Homechef which has an excellent selection of kitchen supplies and offers cooking classes. On Wednesdays they have a very small farmers market with a few stands with fresh produce.

On the north side of San Rafael is the Civic Center (weird looking building designed by Wright), that has, according to critics, one of the best farmers markets in the country on Thurdays and Sundays from 8am-1pm.

Take a short ride up Sir Francis Drake to the town of San Anslemo. On the right as you come into town is a beautiful restaurant called Insalata's. They have a take-out deli on the side door. Really, really good Mediterranean and North Africa inspired cuisine. It's also one of my favorite places in Marin to eat. Their web site: Insalata's