• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Book Recommendations-Fish &/or Game?

Richard Kilgore

I am interested in your comments on cookbooks and books of food essays on fish & game that you have found helpful, interesting...or on the other hand, a waste of time. I like the work of Jim Harrison, A.D. Livingston, and Rebecca Gray, among others.

Edited by Richard Kilgore (log)

For fish Rick Stein in the UK has published a number of useful volumes. In particular "Rick Stein's Seafood", based on notes from his cookery school, has a lot of practical tips and an excellent gazateer of fish species in the back.

I've also found James Peterson's Fish and Shellfish very useful

Charlie Trotter's Seafood book is notable for being the only cookbook I know of where recipes are grouped by wine varietals, but like all his books the recipes are unmanageable unless you have several days and a cast of thousands.

Haven't got a clue about game

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Ariane Daguin's "D'Artagnan's Glorious Game Cookbook" is quite helpful. There is a section on most game meats currently available in the US with notes on best cooking methods etc and recipes from well-known chefs. Of course, most of what we get here is not true game but farm-raised, a pale substitute. To be able to cook wild game you will have to shoot it yourself or make friends with a hunter. The cooking methods would be basically the same but with longer marination. I believe venison and hare, imported from Scotland ,is available in season but have not tried it.

Ruth Friedman

A Feast of Fish by Ian McAndrew is excellent for both recipes and some background information on the various varieties. He also wrote a book on game which I cannot recall the name of now.

Poultry & Game. Good books. What happened to Ian McAndrew? Haven't heard of him for years. Anything by Alan Davidson on fish.

v

Ariane Daguin's "D'Artagnan's Glorious Game Cookbook" is quite helpful. There is a section on most game meats currently available in the US with notes on best cooking methods etc and recipes from well-known chefs. Of course, most of what we get here is not true game but farm-raised, a pale substitute. To be able to cook wild game you will have to shoot it yourself or make friends with a hunter. The cooking methods would be basically the same but with longer marination. I believe venison and hare, imported from Scotland ,is available in season but have not tried it.

I think D'Artagnan sells game birds and wild hare, etc....some from Scotland. On the website (www.dartagnan.com) and in their catalogue, they warn you to "watch out for the shot"!

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Encyclopedia of Fish Cookery by A.J. McClane.

McClane was editor of Field and Stream for some years. The book was considered seminal when it first appeared in the 70s.

edit: I don't know if Izaac Walton's "The Compleat Angler" will help you. But some good writing about fishing.

Nick

Edited by Nick Gatti (log)