• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All About Cheese in Montreal & Quebec

Peter,

To learn more about available QC cheeses I recommend

"Répertoire des fromages du Québec" by Richard Bizier.

It covers a couple of hundred (!) QC cheeses and is well illustrated and crossreferenced.

It's available at Librairie Gourmand at JTM.

/gth

You can get Beurrerie du Patrimoine's creamcheese at Qui Lait Cru!? over at the Jean-Talon market. I haven't tried it myself but it would probably be more natural or organic than Liberte as they use unhomogenised and low temperature pasteurized milk, and are more of an artisanal outfit. I think they only have cow's milk creamcheese but its possible they may have others; they do have goat's milk yogurt.

You can get Beurrerie du Patrimoine's creamcheese at Qui Lait Cru!? over at the Jean-Talon market. I haven't tried it myself but it would probably be more natural or organic than Liberte as they use unhomogenised and low temperature pasteurized milk, and are more of an artisanal outfit. I think they only have cow's milk creamcheese but its possible they may have others; they do have goat's milk yogurt.

Thanks a lot - I'll check it at the nearest opportunity.

As for Liberty and Western... I meant "the real stuff", for me it rules out large scale industrial produce.

In place where I came from we had 6-12 kinds of highest quality goat or sheep milk cream- or other spreadable cheeses made by little or mid-range farms. It was normally quite expensive, but so delicious!

Hey, that's it? Why sushi thread was so much more active? :unsure:

Yesterday I visited Atwater market, and bought there something called "Labane-style" cheese - sorry I forgot the farm name, but it was as far from a real labane as we're here from China.

I'm puzzled - there's plenty of mediterranean-style soft cheeses available - local, and imported from Italy, Spain, Greece, etc. How comes there's no high quality spreadable cheeses originating from the same area???

Edited by doronin (log)