• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle visitor

Hello. My husband will be in Seattle next week. He will be working at the Federal Courthouse downtown and staying at the Westin nearby. He won't have a car. Can anyone recommend some good eats for lunch/dinner within walking distance? Really appreciate it!

Lobster.

Well, the Westin and the Federal Courthouse are not exactly next-door to each other, so if that is 'walking-distance' then his choices are going to be pretty vast.

Two Seattle eGullet favorites that are bound to be brought up are Le Pichet and Matt's in the Market, both in or near the Pike Place Market.

For lunch near the courthouse, I would definately reccomend Tulio in the Hotel Vintage Park (a couple blocks south) or The Hunt Club in the Sorrento (a few blocks east). For more casual fare, there's a lot of little hole-in-the-wall places in that area.

Near the Westin, I like Brasserie Margaux in the Warwick a lot and Dahlia Lounge.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

And don't forget Brasa, which is about a block and a half farther than Daliah Lounge. Lot's of info here on the bar menu (half price from 5-7 pm), but the regular dinner menu is great, too.

If he likes tapas and doesn't mind walking a few more blocks, Tango is really good (see my review here).

What kind of food does your husband like? If he's serious about what he eats, he should make an effort to get to Salumi for lunch - it's Mario Batali's Dad's place.

He will be in the ride-free area, so jumping buses on the street or in the tunnel are options until 7:00, then it's a buck or so (exact change please.) But Belltown to Pioneer Square is all walkable, if you aren't pressed for time.

Matt's and Le Pichet, of course. Cafe Campagne in the Pike Place Market is close enough to the Westin, pretty moderately priced. The Frontier Room is also close - bbq with a hip bar. Hopefully the food is good. Zoe is close, heading towards a bit spendy. Brasa's bar menu, or selective ordering from the full menu. Also, Palace Kitchen is a block away, and directly across the street, under the monorail, is Gee Whiz, an independent coffee shop (using Zoka roasted beans) that makes a decent bagel and egg breakfast (or a big bowl of cereal) without hotel prices.

The Courthouse is definitely walking distance to Salumi. It is quite inexpensive and a must as a special adventure. Lulu's might be of interest, fairly close to Salumi, just started opening for lunch again. Haven't been to Lulu's, but it sounds good.

If I am not mistaken, Dine Out, 25 for $25 starts Sunday - $25 for a three course dinner, $12.50 (?) for lunch at 25 restaurants. Check the news in Sunday's paper.

Edited by tsquare (log)

He is gonna try to get in on some of the 25 for 25 specials, etc.

Here is a link listing the 25 restaurants w/ related info on their three course $25 dinners, and $12.50 lunches. Many of them have posted their special menus for this event, if you click on the name of the restaurant. Click Here

Here is a link listing the 25 restaurants w/ related info on their three course $25 dinners, and $12.50 lunches.  Many of them have posted their special menus for this event, if you click on the name of the restaurant.    Click Here

I'm afraid I'm not seeing any menus - am I missing something? :unsure:

Here is a link listing the 25 restaurants w/ related info on their three course $25 dinners, and $12.50 lunches.  Many of them have posted their special menus for this event, if you click on the name of the restaurant.    Click Here

I'm afraid I'm not seeing any menus - am I missing something? :unsure:

Holy crap! The menus have dissapeared since last night?!? :blink:

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

You're right.. the menus have disappeared overnight :sad: . About 80% of the restaurants had posted their menus, both lunch and dinner, but now I don't see them. I hope they will get reposted today, even though there was a disclaimer on them that the menus were subject to change. Keep checking the site!

The Georgian at Olympic Four Seasons hotel was the only restaurant that was offering Kobe beef, I remember that.

I notice that Brasa has "roast suckling pig". :drool:

I had the roast suckling pig at Brasa during the first Dine Around Seattle promotion last March. Quite tasty definately/nitely pork-oriffic.

Sad news to report. I tried to pull up the menus last night to help my husband decide but as you noted they were not working. But I gave him a print-out of which rest. were participating. He went for dinner tonight to Andaluca which was very near his hotel. He didn't enjoy it! I don't know whether it was the restaurant or him (he is not a foodie)? But he said that the Tuscan Tomato Soup was served barely tepid. The pheasant was tough as old shoe leather (though he did like the taste). The lemon poundcake dessert was miserly and stale.

Kind of infuriates me that he went there when I had printed out menus from the various restaurants you had kindly recommended (he would have loved the pig!). Oh well. To make matters worse, his cases all settled today so he is flying home tomorrow...without visiting Salumi (where he was supposed to buy me lots of cured meat). Sigh.....next time!

Lobster.

That is really too bad. I went to Andaluca with a friend a few months ago and he was also dissappointed in the pheasant. Four of us went a week ago and the food was great (I have a terrible memory for what we had). I hope they are not scrimping on the 25/25. That is bad PR and drives away customers.