• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Best Restaurant in London?

ngatti

At the risk of Square bashing....

I have only eaten here once and very disappointing it was too. Mainly due to 2nd rate service and overlong delays between courses. Menus and drinks arrived very promptly and then, that was the last we saw of a waiter for 30-40 minutes. Eventually frantic gesticulation, waved banners saying "We'd Like to Order" and a letter to the Times procured a waiter, who promised to get another waiter actually qualified to take orders who 5-10 minutes later turned up, told us how busy he was (restaurant half full...) and expressed surprise that we didn't know about the specials. He skipped the apology bit which brought us to about as close as I've come in a while to cutting my losses, paying for the aperitifs and just finding somewhere else to eat. Anyway etc. etc.

Food, although not well paced, ranged from good to (in the case of Saddle of Hare) really exceptional. And I find it difficult to believe that our experience was other than an aberation. But frankly, I can't afford to outlay the thick end of £300 for two all that often so for that price I'll stick to Gordon Ramsey or Le Manoir or next time venture to Le Gavroche or somewhere I'm convinced has standards rather than put £300 on another spin of the Square roulette wheel.

Gareth