• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The pregnancy cravings

Marlene

Here's a craving story from the inside :wink:

While pregnant with me my mother craved oinions sauteed in lots of butter. She would slice the onion whole so thy were rings. Cooked until just the last bit of sharpness was detectable. She ate this throughout the entire pregnancy. Stopped eating cooked onions after the pregnancy.

Fast forward about ten years. I have discovered food. I have discovered cooking. I have discovered how much fun it is to chop an onion. Especially into rings. I have discovered the perfect way to cook onions: lots of butter until they are just the tinies bit sharp. :smile:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

While I was pregnant I craved chopped liver (chicken), chicken salad, mayo, spicey food (hot peppers, buffalo wings, chineese food) red meat, ice cream (Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia). Although I like veggies I could not eat them during pregnancy, they tasted slimey and made me gag.

While I was pregnant my favorite meal was to go to the diner and have a chicken salad club with french fries w/extra mayo (I dipped my fries in it).

As a food geek, I've been very lucky during this, my first pregnancy. No food aversions, no morning sickness, and not really much in the way of cravings! I've even been able to keep eating spicy foods and other things that are common problems.

The closest thing to a craving I've been having is a big desire for sweet carby foods. I had that before I got pregnant, but it's definitely been a little more pronounced.

The biggest change is that I'm eating a _lot_ of breakfast cereal. Whenever I'm hungry and don't know what I want, or there's nothing around the house that's easy, I'll get a bowl of cereal and eat that. A little bit of sugar, mostly whole grains, some milk, sometimes some fruit. Easy, but pretty healthy, so I don't have to feel guilty about it!

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

• 3 years later...

It's been nearly 10 years, for me, but I remember peanut butter. I would go through a Costco jar of Skippy in a week, eating it on everything, including a spoon. My son hates peanut butter. What kid hates peanut butter? I went on a giardenara kick, too, those very tart pickled mixed vegetables, pepperocinis would do in a pinch. I remember eating at a local Italian place with a salad bar, and eating a plateful of pepperocini, covered with vinagrette.

Also, Orange Hi-C. Not orange Kool-aid. Not orange drink, not Tang, not Sunny Delight. Orange Hi-C, and plenty of it, out of the huge cans. I never drank Hi-C, and never touched it after I had my son, but for some reason, I was downing it by the gallon.

Aversions: I couldn't deal with raw meat, especially chicken. The sight, smell, mere thought of raw chicken would have me hauling ass to the bathroom. Cured meats made me throw up every time, even something as innocent as a few slices of pepperoni on pizza. Salami on a sub? Up it came. I couldn't eat cheeseburgers or any combo of meat and cheese together. Took me three years before I could stand cured salami type stuff, afterwards.

I craved things with bold flavors, junk food and sweets. Nothing truly notable except that when I was pregnant with my youngest, I craved salads, which I normally don't go out of my way to eat.

Aversions... when I was pregnant with my second son 9 years ago, I made an appetizer for a potluck that used homemade teriyaki sauce. There was something about the smell of that had me running to the nearest receptacle. To this day, I can't make my own teriyaki sauce without that urge to upchuck.

Cheryl

I can only remember once having a craving that sent us on an oddessy, to have corn bread and baked beans. Went to 3 places to get what was "necessary", and ate it for dinner and breakfast and lunch, then it was all gone, and the craving never repeated.

I refused to completely give up coffee, but pregnancy changed my perception of the smell from wonderful to foul. I'd just kinda hold my breath and drink my daily halfcup. God, I loved that rush of feeling slightly less tired, for those few minutes.

My mom was put on salt-free diets for both her pregnancies. My sister and I both grew up eating table salt straight. I always wonder if there is a connection between our strong attraction to salt and mom's diet.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Oh! and I forgot about pizza. I want pizza all the time. I mean, I liked pizza before but I ate it occasionally. Now, I just want pizza. This is when I really just love being a New Yorker and still living here. I sent my husband get some for me now. LOL!!

Fresh pineapple, usually in the middle of the night when mso had to drive many ks to find a fruit store open.

And although not a food craving the temp in the house in the winters I was pregnant could not be above C 15* (F 60* for those south of the border) during the day and even had to be colder at night. I would even leave all the windows open and go outside with my coat open in below zero (F 30 *) weather regularly.

"Flay your Suffolk bought-this-morning sole with organic hand-cracked pepper and blasted salt. Thrill each side for four minutes at torchmark haut. Interrogate a lemon. Embarrass any tough roots from the samphire. Then bamboozle till it's al dente with that certain je ne sais quoi."

Arabella Weir as Minty Marchmont - Posh Nosh

• 15 years later...

No, at 63 I am not pregnant but was just reading an article about pregnancy cravings and how weird they can be. I was pregnant just once, with twins, at 35 (thank you IVF) I suffered little from nausea, other than when brushing myy teeth and one time I cooked a turkey dinner and had to sit outside on the deck while the rest of the family enjoyed it. My main cravings were Welch's grape juice and commercial chocolate milk. I was supposed to drink something like 1 litre of milk per day and had never been a milk drinker but the commercial chocolate milk was more like a dessert treat. One of the things I read was dill pickles dipped in Nutella - talk about gagging! Anyway, what did you or your significant other crave?

I was more like you. 5 years of early misses and then success at 34. No nausea except husband chasing me around room with a  homemade kimchi and I like the stuff and a long session at the printers - some photocopy chemical got me. I also probably have low estrogen levels- never had PMS or those associated cravings. Plus Dr wanted no more than 25 pound weight gain. I did HAVE to have corn tortillas with eggwhites and hot sauce every morning, fell on the fried mushrooms when husbad brought me some, and ice cream just getting soft. Pretty  much never eat ice cream now unless really good gelato is presented to me.

• Like 1

I always knew I was pregnant before I ever missed a period, because I craved milk. Drank it like it was water…a gallon in two days. All three times.

with Child A, I wanted biscuits and sliced tomatoes (Not necessarily in combination, just wanted them.) With Child B, I wanted cantaloupe. With Child C, I wanted anything I could get my hands on.

but in none of those instances could I go inside where anyone was cooking a hamburger. You could go get one and bring it to me, and I’d scarf it down. But don’t ask me to be inside anywhere with it cooking.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

My mom;s craving with me was cherries - plump dark ones. There was a wholesale produce market nearby that sold to public. She reportedly gorged on them. Post her death I avoided them - but i'm over that and do enjoy them in a nice memory way - plus like taste.

• Like 2

I'm trying to remember if I had cravings; I recall being addicted to a specific sandwich/sub that I lived on pretty much the entire summer - a somewhat soft ciabatta with a dousing of basil infused olive oil, sliced mozzarella and proscuitto.  I might have changed it up on occasion by adding ripe tomato slices but essentially this was my diet for three hot summer months (the kid was born in November).

• Like 1

In her second pregnancy my ex had a sudden fixation with pickles, which ordinarily she didn't much care for. Then, with equal suddenness, she was hit with an obsession over ice cream... plain, inexpensive vanilla ice cream from the supermarket. She oscillated between those two for a month, and then was mortified one day when the penny dropped and she realized that - at least in her case - the old cliche about "pickles and ice cream" actually had some basis in fact.

She suffered terribly from nausea during both pregnancies, and in fact hyperemesis during the first pregnancy nearly killed her (she spent a week at the hospital after we finally figured out that she was in real danger).

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

My first wife, mother of my children, during her first pregnancy, developed a craving for rhubarb, especially rhubarb crumble which I was commanded to make regularly. We provisionally dubbed the unknown-gender child 'Rhubarb'.

One night, we were lying in bed when she woke me up, complaining I must have cooked the rhubarb incorrectly, as it was giving her stomach aches. But then it would be OK, then painful again. I was first to realise it was nothing to do with rhubarb, but to do with Rhubarb who was starting to sprout.

In the middle of the night I ran downstairs to a public phone (this was 52 years ago) and called for an ambulance to the rhubarb extraction facility which they had cunningly disguised as a Maternity Hospital.

Soon we were handed a baby girl whom we didn't name Rhubarb, although I sometimes still teasingly call her that. She now has two rhubarbs of her own and two grand-rhubarbs of her first rhubarb. My two great-grand-rhubarb twin boys.

• Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

My first wife, mother of my children, during her first pregnancy, developed a craving for rhubarb, especially rhubarb crumble which I was commanded to make regularly. We provisionally dubbed the unknown-gender child 'Rhubarb'.

ny o them rhubard lovers?

One night, we were lying in bed when she woke me up, complaining I must have cooked the rhubarb incorrectly, as it was giving her stomach aches. But then it would be OK, then painful again. I was first to realise it was nothing to do with rhubarb, but to do with Rhubarb who was starting to sprout.

In the middle of the night I ran downstairs to a public phone (this was 52 years ago) and called for an ambulance to the rhubarb extraction facility which they had cunningly disguised as a Maternity Hospital.

Soon we were handed a baby girl whom we didn't name Rhubarb, although I sometimes still teasingly call her that. She now has two rhubarbs of her own and two grand-rhubarbs of her first rhubarb. My two great-grand-rhubarb twin boys.

Are any o them rhubarb lovers?