• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hospital Food In The USA

Suvir Saran

Lissome, many, many thanks. :smile: I shall print what you posted. Thanks to all others as well.

Hospital time is behind us as a family.

Dad is home.. and we are cooking with him in mind in our own kitchen. He eats like a bird, it is a challenge to make things that will excite his palate.

And you know, spices, are what inspire him to try and eat more.. and so carefully (so as to try and maintain the mineral count in his blood) we cook things that will help him get nutrition, while still giving him a good meal. :smile:

How wonderful! He's home! Congratulations.

For good beta carotene, which is pre-Vitamin A and the liver's dearest friend, also sweet potatoes, collard greens, kale and pumpkin among the best sources.

I think that Corn has too much sugar, in spite of its good beta carotene; it also has an enzyme that blocks digestion, which Central American natives disarm by adding lime. So I always add lime to corn, but don't eat it much.

May eGulleteria's plethora of love and hope for your father's quick recovery bring a drop more light, happiness and spice into your home. I'm honored and delighted to think my little post may be used in the process.

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais