• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reasonable Italian in DC/VA?

jamesglu

Further up on Connecticut there is a place called Trattoria Lilliana (I think) that might be what you are looking for. The cross street is Albemarle, across the street from the drive through BK.

It has only been about a year, but apparently it has become "the neighborhood restaurant". All the pasta is housemade and is suppose to be out of this world. I haven't been yet, but it looks crowded enough at the right times.

I live near Trattoria Liliana and it's good, albeit with a tiny menu. And like its neighbor to the north (Hi, Carol!), they frown upon substitutions although they're much nicer about it. I have sampled ravioli with veal, swiss chard and cheese, chicken with cinnamon and gnocchi with pesto - all good. More options would result in more frequent visits from my neighborhood friends.

FYI - Trattoria Liliana is smoke free and cell phone free. They have a sign on the door reminding you of these policies.

I second the Pasta Mia recommendation, go early and never anywhere near a big running race in town, and you'll get a table just fine. Process is a little strict there, but we are addicted to the pasta there. (so substitutions there by the way...)

Also, I like Etrusco (1606 20th St NW, Washington, DC 20009 (202) 667-0047) in Dupont Circle, nice atmosphere and I haven't been disappointed with the food. Maybe a little on the expensive side, but worth a visit.

Savino's in Dupont Circle has a gluten-free pizza which is pretty good, (although I can't recall why that is a good thing at the moment) and their food is pretty good. (Definitely a little on the expensive side.)

You know, the downside of posting on eGullet, is that I always work up an appetite when I think about all of the good food and restaurants. I'm going to have to find a fitness site to post on.

Mendocino Grille and Wine Bar

Sonoma Restaurant and Wine Bar

You know, the downside of posting on eGullet, is that I always work up an appetite when I think about all of the good food and restaurants. I'm going to have to find a fitness site to post on.

If you're anything like me that will make you want to eat too.

Bill Russell

• 5 months later...
Faccia Luna in Glover Park has closed.

Is that little Italian place across the street still open?

The one with (seemingly) two names? Mama somethings? Ennio's?

If that's the one, yes. It's probably one of the first places I ate at as a new DC resident and I pass it on my way to the gym.

When did this happen? I go there about once a month. Easy walk from my place. The place across the street is kind of spotty. Eggplant parm is fabulous while veal parm is shoe leather.

Is that little Italian place across the street still open?

The one with (seemingly) two names? Mama somethings? Ennio's?

If that's the one, yes. It's probably one of the first places I ate at as a new DC resident and I pass it on my way to the gym.

They have good pizza.

Villa Bella in Burke, VA. www.villabellarestaurant.com

Pros: Owned by Sicilians, chefs are owners/brothers; excellent woodburning oven pizzas, including double crusted Sicilian style ("schiacciata") and an unusual pie called "Cuddiruni Rosso" with a light tomato topping, sweet onions, a little pecorino, anchovies and scallions; cute little place; good pastas (to-die-for canneloni - ask for both tomato and cream sauces); nice wines; sometimes there's a hint of anchovy in the tomato sauce - I guess it depends on which brother is making it that day.

Cons: It's in BURKE :wink: (that's where I live). Probably too far out for DC/Arlington/Alexandria folks.

The family also owns a place in Franconia/Springfield called Paradiso, with a separate babysitted area for children so Mom & Dad can have dinner alone, and a tapas/Mexican place also in Burke that I haven't tried yet but heard it is good.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

How sad. I spent many an evening enjoying bad wine and good pizza. I konw a number of people who would break the fast on Yom Kippur there.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

How sad. I spent many an evening enjoying bad wine and good pizza. I konw a number of people who would break the fast on Yom Kippur there.

Has the whole chain gone down the tubes? There is (was) one on South Washington St. in Old Town. I will take a closer look the next time I drive by.

How about Argia's Italian Restaurant

124 North Washington Street, Falls Church, VA 22046. I haven't been for about a year but the past meals I've had there were pretty good and they have a decent wine list too. Kinda noisy when it's full. Anyone else been?

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

How about Argia's Italian Restaurant

124 North Washington Street, Falls Church, VA 22046.  I haven't been for about a year but the past meals I've had there were pretty good and they have a decent wine list too.  Kinda noisy when it's full.  Anyone else been?

I agree. The wine list is decent and it can get VERY loud there. I ate at Argia's about 3 or 4 months ago. The food is pretty good and they offer "family style" dining if you are in the mood to share.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food."

I would suggest San Marco in Adams Morgan. We recently had our first delightful meal there. They specialize in Rissoto. Family-run and not crowded like Pasta Mia up the street.

I'll second San Marco. I've really enjoyed all the meals I've had there. The best inexpensive Italian in DC, in my opinion. Last visit had some good carpaccio and risotto. Interesting grappa bottle collection, too.

Chris Sadler

Do you all remember Fio's on 16th Street in the Woodner? It was a great authentic, Italian, neighborhood place, with the best calimari fritti anywhere. It has closed darn it, but I wonder if the chef has resurfaced somewhere. Anyone know anything?

Do you all remember Fio's on 16th Street in the Woodner? It was a great authentic, Italian, neighborhood place, with the best calimari fritti anywhere. It has closed darn it, but I wonder if the chef has resurfaced somewhere. Anyone know anything?

Fio's was a pretty good little oasis - it's now Sangria Cafe, and I haven't had the courage to try it.

Ah, Fio's, site of many memorable meals - they made an amazing pasta dish - linguine with squid, onions, olives, capers, wine, garlic - fabulous. Friends had their "rehearsal dinner" there and carried in cases of 1975 Pol Roger rose - that was a great evening.

• 4 weeks later...

My favorites are Spezie and Kuna.

Has anyone tried Mama Maria's & Enzio's? I think some of you might be confusing Faccia Luna with this place. It's right across the street on the side of Sushi-Ko.

I really want to try San Marco. I'm just never in the mood for Italian when I'm in Adams Morgan. From the recommendations here, I'm looking forward to it.

Has anyone tried Mama Maria's & Enzio's? I think some of you might be confusing Faccia Luna with this place. It's right across the street on the side of Sushi-Ko.

That's the place I meant. It was one of my first DC food experiences.

I didn't love it, but at least I didn't feel ripped off when I left.

:unsure: WARNING: This post contains an unpopular opinion. :unsure:

Il Radicchio on Capitol Hill. Went there on a Saturday night a couple of weeks ago. One of us had a quite decent variation on an Osso Buco, and the others all did the pasta with a number of sauces. The marinara was quite dull, but the others, especially a rustic red sauce with lamb, were very good. At the price point, I'd definitely go back despite a bad experience at the bar mentioned in another thread.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

For those of you who like Faccia Luna...

I checked out the posted signs at the Glover Park location yesterday. Looks like they had a fire based on the posted permits. The sign says they'll reopen in "about a month" but the sign's not dated so the info isn't all that helpful. They are also advertising for servers to send resumes.