• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PMS: Tell it Like It Is. Your cravings, Babe (Part 1)

maggiethecat

Good (you may live): BBQ chips, bacon, fried chicken, plain old steak.

Bad (you must die): eggs--usually love them, but now, aargh, turns my stomach.

Noise is music. All else is food.

MEAT! MEAT! MEAT! AND MORE MEAT! Flossie the cow just isn't safe around me at that time. Also, salty snack foods like chips, popcorn, pretzels (love those chocolate covered pretzels!), cheese twists. Orange soda. I could drink a 2 liter bottle and just sit and :laugh: watch my stomach bloat up! It's great stuff.

I'm not a big choco-holic tho... :laugh:

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

Two days before: Sweets, sweets and more sweets. I once munched through four servings of chocolate souffles at Le Cirque.

The actual day: Sushi, ramen, spicy fries, rice and beans with lots of salt. No sugar! Plus, a good Victorian period flick like "A room with a View".

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

Hot sauce. And soy sauce.

Favourite PMS meals. Big bowls of good white rice - basmati, calrose, short grain, doesn't matter, as long as it's good - smothered in senior citizen soft roasted broccoli, a fistful of green onions, a fistful of cilantro, soy sauce, hot sauce, lemon juice.

Spicy, salty, sour carbs.

Big bowls of good white rice - basmati, calrose, short grain, doesn't matter, as long as it's good - smothered in senior citizen soft roasted broccoli, a fistful of green onions, a fistful of cilantro, soy sauce, hot sauce, lemon juice.

Hey, watchchit, Lou.! This almost sounds nutr :biggrin: itionally sound.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Fried Chicken Livers (lots of salt)

Chocolate

Ben and Jerry's Triple Caramel Fudge Chunk (although I admit, that I could consume a pint almost any time of the month).

Peanut butter!!!

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

One minute I was weeping at sappy commercials on TV and the next minute I was Xena Warrior Princess ripping out your lungs and handing them to you on a platter.
I had better get those curtains hemmed and up fast! Please tell me you don't live  just outside Chicago. :biggrin:

Fear not Maggie! The damage is long over - the meds wore off after about seven months, but man was that a Looong seven months! I completely understand now about women with serious PMS problems or post partum depression and other hormonally induced forms of temporary mental states. Really.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The younger of my two sisters gave me a great stocking stuffer several years back: A notepad, with the cartoon head of a seriously cranky-looking, wild-haired woman at the top, under which is the underlined heading "PMS Shopping List." The four items:

- water pills

- chocolate :rolleyes:

- potato chips

- arsenic

Brilliantly funny, although I might quibble with the order . . .

Big bowls of good white rice - basmati, calrose, short grain, doesn't matter, as long as it's good - smothered in senior citizen soft roasted broccoli, a fistful of green onions, a fistful of cilantro, soy sauce, hot sauce, lemon juice.

Really?! That would be so cool! I could almost just live on white rice alone - and condiments of course. :biggrin:

Carbs! Carbs! Carbs! :laugh:

Really?! That would be so cool! I could almost just live on white rice alone - and condiments of course. :biggrin:

Carbs! Carbs! Carbs! :laugh:

But you snuck some vegetables in there!

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

The cure for ALL THAT AILS YOU when suffering from PMS is Chocolate Covered Pretzels!  Sweet, salty and crunchy all at once!  Nothing could possibly be better. :smile:

Ahh, but have you tried chocolate covered peanut butter filled pretzels?

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

Sausage Rolls

Moan. :wub: Hyperventilate.

Sam, you have given my day a purpose. Make flakey pastry, make sausage, make sausage rolls.

Maybe I should check the calendar!

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

I was reading all these posts and agreeing with most of the cravings when I realised that I went to the shop to get the news paper just before and came home with corn chips, chocolate bars and trashy magazines! And I'm drinking red wine! I'm two days off...The horniness is next...

How sad; a house full of condiments and no food.

On my third day in a row of making (and eating) choclate cookies, I am starting to rethink my original post asying I had no cravings.

As I was planning out the next weeks menus I was also drifting to everything with beef in it! :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I was  reading all these posts and agreeing with most of the cravings when I realised that I went to the shop to get the news paper just before and came home with corn chips, chocolate bars and trashy magazines! And I'm drinking red wine! I'm two days off...The horniness is next...

This sounds really familiar. I am glad to know I am not the only who has a penchant for trashy brain puddle magazines.

Take one can sardines (preferably in oil), drench with tabasco and freshly ground black pepper. Apply spoon, eat straight out of can. Rinse. Repeat.

Optional accompaniment: Any Simpson/Bruckheimer movie (or, for that matter, anything starring Meg Ryan) and large collection of throwable [soft] projectiles.

• 2 weeks later...

Just sneaking in here in my non-gender-specific editorial capacity to alert you to this related thread:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...ST&f=13&t=18206

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Chocolate bacon or its equivalent in the form of an old St. Joseph syrah.

Perhaps bacon in Scharfenberger chocolate fondue?

Pork chops in port sauce w roasted shallots/onions.

Double fistfuls of roasted, salted cashews.

Dandelion greens w poached egg, bacon and shaved reggiano.

Two days to go....

:angry::angry::angry:

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

Doing the rice thing - lots of soy and hot sauce. Plus - can't believe I forgot to mention these, you'll be happy Maggie :biggrin: - shrimp chips. Shrimp chip, scoop, eat. No other utensils needed. And just discovered my new favourite potato chips in the world - two flavours tied - dijon mustard and herbes de provence. It's amazing how fast whole bags can go. And chocolate cake. A la mode. With chocolate/chocolate chip ice cream. And chocolate cereal.

What's the evolutionary reason is for PMS? And cravings? I'm guessing to keep faint-hearted would-be mates away!