• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PMS: Tell it Like It Is. Your cravings, Babe (Part 1)

maggiethecat

I have been eating around 1400 calories for 3 months and lost 12 pounds - but as said above I was derailed and brought down on Sunday.  I spent most of the day denying my need specifically for a chocolate cupcake with vanilla icing.  I combed the mall ignoring the cookies, the lattes, cinnamon rolls, etc., but they did not call to me like the cupcake. Finally I found myself at the grocery store  that afternoon and I casually checked out the baked goods (not gourmet but not an option at this point) but they only came in packs of 6.  Darn. I could not do this to myself.  I went down the bread aisle and saw Suzie Q's lurking on the shelf!  I grabbed the Suzie Q - tore into the package in the car and breathed a sigh of great relief.  It surely helped.  I tossed the second half into the trash in the parking lot.  But for that moment it really helped.    Thanks for listening.

Ha...sounds like you need a hug. :wink:

I have been eating around 1400 calories for 3 months and lost 12 pounds - but as said above I was derailed and brought down on Sunday.  I spent most of the day denying my need specifically for a chocolate cupcake with vanilla icing.  I combed the mall ignoring the cookies, the lattes, cinnamon rolls, etc., but they did not call to me like the cupcake. Finally I found myself at the grocery store  that afternoon and I casually checked out the baked goods (not gourmet but not an option at this point) but they only came in packs of 6.  Darn. I could not do this to myself.  I went down the bread aisle and saw Suzie Q's lurking on the shelf!  I grabbed the Suzie Q - tore into the package in the car and breathed a sigh of great relief.  It surely helped.  I tossed the second half into the trash in the parking lot.  But for that moment it really helped.    Thanks for listening.

Does that include any wine? i have no problem eating 1400 calories or less a day, but how do you account for wine or alcohol in that? I especially need wine at a that time, just to ease the pain of course :raz:

Edited by Jenny McClure (log)

Does that include any wine? i have no problem eating 1400 calories or less a day, but how do you account for wine or alcohol in that? I especially need wine at a that time, just to ease the pain of course :raz:

Oh shit, don't get me started. My diet allows A beer or A four ounce glass of wine as a snack. Are you kidding me? A snack?

to be honest I had to quit drinking during the week- Monday through Thursday anyway. But Fri, Sat. and Sunday all bets are off and I drink what I want. I do try to stay away from sweet drinks- yeah for diet tonic! But with the summer I will want Margarita's and Sangria, etc. That is why it has taken me a long time to take the pounds off.

I am having killer cravings. I want some B&J's Coffee Toffee Crunch. However, I am very lazy and I don't know if I want to walk all the way to the store. It's times like this that it would be nice to have a manservant.

It's times like this that it would be nice to have a manservant.

Really? I can't think of a time when I wouldn't want a manservant... :raz:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Hey, yeah, let's hear it for coping with PMS cravings while on a diet! Ack phoeey!!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I have been so freakin' grumpy the past few days, it's a wonder none of my friends has hauled off and bought me a box of chocolates and a slab of prime rib just to get me to chill the hell out. :rolleyes:

I sometimes think that the only thing that's keeping me from going off the diet to self-medicate with food is the certain knowledge that, the morning after, I'd go off on a whole new freakout because I blew off the diet so egregiously.

Fortunately, my "dieting" philosophy includes the concept of controlled pre-planned splurges--okay, I know that sounds like an oxymoron, but it's been working for me so far. So--I have a date for dinner with some foodie friends on Thursday, and I'm giving myself permission to relax the diet for that dinner. Fortunately, it's a Vietnamese restaurant--I tend to do less damage to my diet at Asian restaurants just because of the nature of the cuisines, but as I love those cuisines so, it still registers as a psyche-soothing treat for me.

It's times like this that it would be nice to have a manservant.

Really? I can't think of a time when I wouldn't want a manservant... :raz:

A mute manservant or a smart one.. both amount to the same thing.

I've been eating dark chocolate and crusty white bread with butter and when I ran out of butter, mayonnaise.

I was wondering why I was craving red meat for the last couple of days...SIGH. And of course, now I realize that I was also eating Baked Lays yesterday, and the awesome Spinach Pie that Costco sells. You'd think after 28 years, I'd realize what's up!! :raz:

Btw, sign me up for a manservant as well. ANY time of the month! :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

THIS Video has to be the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. And it totally reminds me of myself when I'm on a hormone induced bender.

Look familiar to anyone else? :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

THIS Video has to be the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.  And it totally reminds me of myself when I'm on a hormone induced bender.

Look familiar to anyone else?  :laugh:

Hmmm... kind of like looking in the mirror. Except I've got Dove chocolates.

Cheetos and Coke yesterday. Should have known that meant the return of my little friend.

Red meat should be just around the corner.

Bridget Avila

My Blog

On a related note...what do you do when you know you are craving "something"...yet can't quite figure out what? Do you just eat a bite of everything in the pantry/refrig until it feels satisfying? I hate that feeling of fullness without the emotional/sensory satisfaction.

Is there anything better than identifying "exactly" what you are craving and having that first bite...

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

On a related note...what do you do when you know you are craving "something"...yet can't quite figure out what? Do you just eat a bite of everything in the pantry/refrig until it feels satisfying? I hate that feeling of fullness without the emotional/sensory satisfaction.

Is there anything better than identifying "exactly" what you are craving and having that first bite...

Oh god, yes! I know just how that feels--wonderful!

I had brownies today, and now I'm having double egg instant noodles. I'm definitely PMSing.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

• 2 weeks later...

Aww, dammit. I got myself hooked on sugar (again).

Here's my latest target, so sugary-sweet it will either disgust you or just put you into a blissful sugar coma:

Stonyfield Farm Creme Caramel Frozen Yogurt

:wub::wub:

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

THIS Video has to be the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.  And it totally reminds me of myself when I'm on a hormone-induced bender.

Look familiar to anyone else?  :laugh:

You look cute with whiskers, Katie! :laugh:

I'll pack a sleeve of Ritz Crackers in the Fressermobile when I make my next rounds.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

The last round was chevre spread on Lay's potato chips. Salt and Fat. Yum. Chocolate milk to finish.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

• 2 years later...