• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PMS: Tell it Like It Is. Your cravings, Babe (Part 1)

maggiethecat

WHERE THE FLIP IS THE ICON FOR CHOKING ON YOUR WINE!!!!!!!!!!

back to the topic at hand... so to speak...  why does the salt/sugar/fat craving go away(as well as the desire for any food) once your "friend" visits....and what about us approaching a "certain" age when the cravings come but not your period?  (and NO there is NO freakin' way i am with child - i'm leaving that to my 37 year old sister-in-law)

having been in menopause for a few years now, I can tell you that the cravings still remain, regardless. I can't really tell you why though. It just is. I can also tell you it's way harder to lose the weight that those cravings accumulate!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

having been in menopause for a few years now, I can tell you that the cravings still remain, regardless.  I can't really tell you why though. It just is.  I can also tell you it's way harder to lose the weight that those cravings accumulate!

Oddly enough, ever since I went on the pill I don't get PMS at all. It's very nice!

WHERE THE FLIP IS THE ICON FOR CHOKING ON YOUR WINE!!!!!!!!!!

back to the topic at hand... so to speak...  why does the salt/sugar/fat craving go away(as well as the desire for any food) once your "friend" visits....and what about us approaching a "certain" age when the cravings come but not your period?  (and NO there is NO freakin' way i am with child - i'm leaving that to my 37 year old sister-in-law)

having been in menopause for a few years now, I can tell you that the cravings still remain, regardless. I can't really tell you why though. It just is. I can also tell you it's way harder to lose the weight that those cravings accumulate!

Yeah, I've been doing the perimenopause buildup for a couple years myself, and as my cycle gets ever more baroque and unpredictable, so do my PMS symptoms. Those months that my body decides to skip a period altogether seem to be the ones where my PMS symptoms, including the food cravings, are the strongest and longest. One would be well advised to not stand between me and any large savory meat object when I'm in such a state. :rolleyes:

Even when I do get my period, it seems to take a day or two longer before the PMS symptoms, including the cravings, shut off. But when they do, it's quite dramatic. I go to bed jonesing for greaseburgers and wake the next morning feeling only vaguely hungry, and for only vegetarian food. Isn't biology wonderful?

The only PMS cure for me is Green & Black's milk chocolate and a glass (or bottle) of Shiraz. Hopefully, it's not a work day, but I make no promises.

Thou Shalt Not Eat Food By DuPont. - Barb

• 3 weeks later...

back again

but this time it is taking the form of mini reeses peanut butter cups(the proper ratio of chocolate to pb). unfortunately that means when the time comes and i won't feel like eating i will be down the shore. and there are so many neat places to eat - martini beach, marie nicole's, blue pig... and i will be at my least hungry... it isn't fair :angry:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear. I seem to have just inhaled a number (and I'm *not* saying what that number is) of slices of Obscene Chain Delivery Pizza.

They had a special. I couldn't possibly turn down a special, now could I? Plus I can have the remainder for breakfast.

If there's any left.

Yep, I've got it. But good. :wacko:

Ya'll are bustin me up!!!  Love the legs! 

gallery_336_534_1104543679.jpg

I do think the pix was a bit disturbing though...wouldn't answer my door on Halloween for that one! :blink:

Trick-or-Treat was the least of my worries that evening, Genny.

Given that it was Halloween, I figured I could use the restaurant's mens room without much fuss. So I used the facilities and was washing up when a youngish guy walked in, looked at me and screamed, "AAAAAUUGHHH!" Then he ran out the bathroom door so quickly he forgot to open it first. :shock:

I thought to myself, "Maybe he thought it was the ladies' room instead." So I sauntered back to the table where he and his friends were seated and said in my best basso profundo, "Hey, Man...there's plenty of room in there."

This poor chap was cowering in fear, bleating, "Nooo! Please nooo!!" He was curled up in a little ball while the rest of his table convulsed with laughter. :laugh:

So I ask you ladies: the next time I dress up as Heather Duster, should I powder my nose in the ladies room instead? And do I get to claim PMS as my excuse? :raz:

Fresser-

Why, oh why? I'm tempted to re-work my interpretation of the lunch box dream.

:wink:

oooooh! cheezies! that's a good one. i've been known to head down to the store about 5 minutes before they closed for those things. other cravings include a lot of stuff that's already been posted and a few new ones... salted cashews, smoked almonds, chips (flavoured and plain) philidelphia cream cheese dip (either the dill or the herbs/spice) old cheddar on arrowroot cookies, lots and lots of chocolate and occasionally singaporean spicy pork jerky...... them's good eatin' :wink:

Edited by Dining Diva (log)

This new "Take 5" bar, from, Hershey's is actually fantastic.  It's got a much stronger salty quality than sweetness, and that makes it somewhat unique among mass-packaged candy bars.

The list of ingredients (pretzels, caramel, peanuts, peanut butter, milk chocolate) seems ordinary, but it's actually more than the sum of it's parts, due to a fairly interesting texture.  It's also MEGA-caloric.  220 for 1.5 ounces.

Chocolate. Salty, crunchy pretzels and peanuts. Caramel. Calories galore. Need I say more? :rolleyes:

Edited because I'm a PMSing dolt at cross-forum quotes.

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

That Take 5 bar sounds good.

I just started infertility treatments and am having to do some things that are making my hormones go off the charts. Lately the comfort food has been chocolate-peanut butter ice cream, either Ben and Jerry's or Dreyer's Dreamery. And I have had insatiable cravings for nachos - chicken nachos with lots of goopy cheese and sour cream and hot, hot jalapenos. I imagine if we progress to the point where I am having to stick myself in the butt with needles I am going to need to find something stronger...like vodka tonics. :)

Doritos, regular, original nacho flavored Doritos.  With a Diet Coke!  Salt, caffeine, everything a PMS girl needs!

genny, too bad you are so far south it will never be cool enough for the ultimate SUC Fred treat - white cheddar popcorn with hot cocoa

hmmmmm....aged cheddar on ginger biscuits(instead of arrowroot) sound really, really good

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Baked goods, hot, with ice cream.

Such as: Anythign apple-pie-y. With caramel, and salted peanuts.

The ubiquitous "brownie sundae". Preferably with a nearly-raw, gooey oozing brownie. No whipped cream, just lots and lots of ice cream. Fudge.

Peanut butter eaten straight from the jar.

I haven't had any bad PMS cravings in a few months, but this month is particularly bad. After a host of carb-laden, delicious, home-baked goodies at a cocktail party last night (my favourites were the cheese biscuits stuffed with a fat olives, and the bread I mounded with marscapone/cambozola spread :wub: ), I went home and ransacked the house for anything sweet. I ended up eating 3 blueberries muffins from Costco (yes, the big ones.)

This morning I woke up and had a killer craving for chocolate--any kind of chocolate. I was out of the good stuff, so I went to 7-11 and bought a box of Chips Ahoy cookies. I swear, I haven't eaten these since I was a kid. I finished the whole box in 10 minutes, tops.

Feeling bloated but somwhat happier....now off to find the "PMS-bloat outfit" (my baggiest pair of jeans, and a track jacket.) :laugh:

Normally, I don't like Dairy Queen at all, but I just discovered something great there for those of us PMSing -- it's called a Pecan Medslide sundae. Vanilla ice cream, hot caramel, hot fudge, and lotsa pecans. SALTY pecans, whipped cream too.

I felt a lot better after eating that. :rolleyes:

Ditto on the DQ not my bag at all...however...PMS was duly satisfied with a large hot fudge salted peanut sundae...must google the word sundae..mutters to self while carving slices of homemade kolbassa

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

I get cravings for potato chips, olives, cocktail nuts, french fries, double cheeseburgers, anything salty or greasy or both. And Chinese food -- especially won ton soup and twice-cooked pork. I rarely crave chocolate or sweets, though, for some odd reason :smile:

There is no sincerer love than the love of food. -- George Bernard Shaw

During PMS i seem to get lots of cravings for sweet things a la chocolate and Ice Cream OR salty/ tangy things like chips gherkins or onion rings which i wouldn't eat much of during the rest of the month. I made the nutella tart from the Pierre Herme book today, I don't think there's gonna be much of that left by tomorrow :rolleyes:

today oscar meyer hot dogs on lightly toasted cheap white bread.

one with blue cheese, relish and ketchup

one with cheddar and spicy brown mustard

slices of cucumber and cantaloupe with rice wine vinegar

4 munchkins

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

today oscar meyer hot dogs on lightly toasted cheap white bread.

one with blue cheese, relish and ketchup

one with cheddar and spicy brown mustard

slices of cucumber and cantaloupe with rice wine vinegar

4 munchkins

i can't seem to get enough chocolate. Chocolate covered pineapple, chocolate n peanutbutter, chocolate cookies....I think if you offered me a chocolate covered booger right now, I'd eat it. :blink: only 3 days left....

"No matter where ya go, there ya are....and there ya go!"

• 3 weeks later...

Past two days I am stangely dissatisfied with every little bit that I eat. Salad-not enough, chocolate-not right, peanuts-not salty enough, etc.

I have been dreaming about my weekend away in Montreal, on the list: Schwatrz's smoked meat sandwich hell-maybe the platter. Dinner at Ferriera - grilled sardines and dripping red steak and because we are in "la belle province" tarte a sucre - translates as sugar pie but trust me it is less pie and more silky and creamy and maple-y!!

And I'm not settling for a tartlet - oh no I will have a full tarte 9"

ooh jeeeeez how could I forget, frites! and artisanal cheese

oh yeah and some jazz :unsure::blush:

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

Chocolate, for sure.

I can inhale a bar of Dagoba Xocolatl in 2.1 seconds :raz:

However, I've just discovered "matcha" (green tea) last sunday and I'm hooked!! For some reason, the tea relaxes me, makes me less groggy, and no more chocolate cravings.

Also, I'm intriqued with matcha health benefits: (quoted from Infuze Tea House)

* 2 cups of regular green tea has approximately twice the antioxidants of red wine, 7 times that of orange juice, and 20 times that of apple juice. Matcha, on a gram per gram basis, has approximately 10 times the polyphenols and antioxidants of regular teas.

* Matcha has approximately 9 times the beta carotene of Spinach, 4 times that of carrots

* Matcha contains essential vitamins and minerals for a healthy lifestyle

Source: Certificate of Analysis #021068-1 Japan Measurement Certificator

Constituent Breakdown: Standard tables of Food Composition in Japan 5th Revised Editions

Here's more info on matcha and of course there are lots more other online resources if u google "matcha"

Now to the real problem,

what should I do with my 10-lb chocolate supplies scattered in cupboard / fridge / drawer / office drawer / bathroom vanity / jacket pocket / workout gymbag ?

Chemically speaking, chocolate really is the world's perfect food. --Michael Levine, nutrition researcher

Now to the real problem,

what should I do with my 10-lb chocolate supplies scattered in cupboard / fridge / drawer / office drawer / bathroom vanity / jacket pocket / workout gymbag ?

Problem? There's a problem here?

Eat it. Problem solved. :wink:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg