• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PMS: Tell it Like It Is. Your cravings, Babe (Part 1)

maggiethecat

Well, if I have a glass of wine at night most of my symptoms disappear

Turning now in our hymnals to pg. 334:

Oooh, Tannin balm, Oh Tannin balm .......(hee-hee!)

Oh, Miss Jess-- you are sooo funny! I'll be singing this particular carol every opportunity I get, and I can make some opportunities.

But red wine is always my quaff of good sense. Raging hormones and three martinis can lead to very unfortunate outcomes, like, say, throwing all his socks into a snowbank. You sort 'em, sucker!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Well, if I have a glass of wine at night most of my symptoms disappear

Turning now in our hymnals to pg. 334:

Oooh, Tannin balm, Oh Tannin balm .......(hee-hee!)

Oh, Miss Jess-- you are sooo funny! I'll be singing this particular carol every opportunity I get, and I can make some opportunities.

Magali, the world is a better place with your sunny presence in it. And by the by, I've had a bit of Triple Cream brie with every meal for the past five days, if it means anything.

Jess: Triple creme brie is a tell. Lay in some red wine and Advil --- fast. If possible retire to your couch with something by Josephine Tey, Georgette Heyer or Carl Hiasson.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Jess:  Triple creme brie is a tell.  Lay in some red wine and Advil --- fast.  If possible retire to your couch with something by Josephine Tey, Georgette Heyer or Carl Hiasson.

Wine, Advil and Hiaason--these three gifts of the Magi :smile: can get a girl thru, for certain. If I may stray off-topic amongst friends, can anyone help with an AHA disaster? I bought a bar of organic soap with alpha-hydroxy stuff in it, and it has fried my eyelids. Is there an antidote to this particular fresh hell?

And just to get back on-topic before Perlow releases the 'ounds, I weaned myself off brie with some camembert, and have since consumed Kodiak bear quantities of salmon sashimi. Feeling better, if verbose.

But red wine is always my quaff of good sense.  Raging hormones and three martinis can lead to very unfortunate outcomes, like, say, throwing all his socks into a snowbank.  You sort 'em, sucker!

That one got me laughing. I can just picture some things I'm interested in pitching off the balcony right now.

Just on the cusp at this moment, and I had to have a big roast beef sandwich with mayo, mustard, horseradish, lettuce, tomato (winter tomato :sad: ), pickles, sprouts, red onion, dash of vinegar and oil, salt and pepper, all on a big-ass piece of crusty bread. Washed down with a berry Honest Tea - not too sweet, just right.

OK, I'm ready now. :cool:

Gotta love the salt 'n vinegar chips. Those are always a blessing as is authentic Cadbury chocolate with nuts (not the kind that's made by Hershey's here!). I normally am not a big fan of chocolate so when I wanna eat some, I know it's a sure sign...

• 3 months later...
ok- if anyone is craving state fair CORN DOGS i have  (3) 1.00 off coupons i can mail to y'all. :biggrin:

suzi, you're a girfriend in need and a girlfriend indeed. Corndogs! Get them while you can, sistergirls!

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

I have met women who get the horniness symptom alone, but I alas am not so lucky.

I get the whole schmeer--cravings, horniness, water retention, mood swings ... plus some additional weirdnesses due to my other current health weirdnesses (for instance, the water retention seems to set off my osteoarthritis and gout--presumably because the retained water makes the joints a little more swollen than otherwise; mind you, every single doctor I've laid both that symptom and that theory on has only gone "duhhhh" and offered more diuretics and NSAIDs :rolleyes: ). Of course, the foods I crave at this time of month tend to be heavy on the salt, which certainly doesn't help matters, but just try and reason with that kind of craving. I also go nuts for the grease and animal protein--burgers and fries, loaded burritos, fried chicken, any kind of pork product--basically anything that's neither "healthy" nor nailed down.

Oh yeah, and as I creep towards menopause, my PMS is if anything getting worse. I seem to now be missing every other period--one of my ovaries crapping out before the other?--and when a period finally does show up, it's like two periods' worth for the "price" of one. Two full weeks of the PMS Symptoms From Hell, followed by a couple of days of concentrated gory agony a.k.a. the Menses From Hell. And I can tell from the trouble I had this morning putting my rings on my fingers that the ramp-up to the Menses From Hell are on their way again. Time to check my stock of drugs and country-style ribs ... :wacko:

Edited by mizducky (log)

I don't have PMS-related food cravings. I just get horny as hell.  :laugh: Anyone else like this or is it just me?  :unsure:

I'll be right over! :laugh:

Aside from the fact that I'm happily married... That pillsbury dough picture you posted will be forever imprinted in my mind. :raz: Just where is that boy hiding his goods in that skin tight white outfit? :unsure:

I don't have PMS related food cravings. I just get horny as hell.  :laugh: Anyone else like this or is it just me?  :unsure:

Me. At least when I had periods I did. :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I don't have PMS-related food cravings. I just get horny as hell.  :laugh: Anyone else like this or is it just me?  :unsure:

I'll be right over! :laugh:

Aside from the fact that I'm happily married... That pillsbury dough picture you posted will be forever imprinted in my mind. :raz: Just where is that boy hiding his goods in that skin tight white outfit? :unsure:

Oh, you mean this?

gallery_336_534_1104544252.jpg

Just imagine the Pillsbury DoughFresser showing up when you're craving starches.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH...

seriously, anyone want those coupons?

fresser? course i also remember the french maid picture<SHUDDER>

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

ok al_dente...

how 'bout you show us your butt? that might satisfy some cravings... :raz:

n.b. how come so many guys are starting to invade this thread? can't they read or are they so desperate to avoid work? :hmmm:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

ok all of the above..."Seasonal"-ly now though .....but the biggest meanest nastiest thing i want is ....betty crocker frosting....no i dont want any cake, just the frosting tub and a spoon i do use a small spoon as a fake out

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

n.b. how come so many guys are starting to invade this thread?  can't they read or are they so desperate to avoid work?  :hmmm:

Suzi,

We're just sensitive, in-touch-with-our-feminine-side kinds of men. :raz:

And no, I'm not wearing the French Maid outfit as I write this. That only comes out for costume parties and bar mitzvahs.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

11 pages and this topic still hasn't been exhausted?

Sheesh...

Good grief, Mike. We've got a whole bunch of food-loving women here, who go through this thing once a month between the ages of, say, twelve and fifty. It's an inexhaustible subject.

Smoked meat sammies.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

n.b. how come so many guys are starting to invade this thread?  can't they read or are they so desperate to avoid work?  :hmmm:

Suzi,

We're just sensitive, in-touch-with-our-feminine-side kinds of men. :raz:

And no, I'm not wearing the French Maid outfit as I write this. That only comes out for costume parties and bar mitzvahs.

I demand equal time! I'm feeling a bit hormonal at the moment.

Is it okay if I say I'm horny and I want chocolate?

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.