• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PMS: Tell it Like It Is. Your cravings, Babe (Part 1)

maggiethecat

Well, after much calendar recording, including the moon phases, I have discovered I am a warewolf...or whatever the female version is called. Around each full moon I have the basic cravings...salt, sugar, hunks of beef, nuts, chocolate and vicodan for pain (nothing else works and I've tried them all). God forbid my roommate even THINKS about eating my emergency PMS frozen Nutrageous bar :) And the weird thing is, if I have a glass of wine at night most of my symptoms disappear, except for the 'muscle spasms' from hell, then its off to bed for 24 hours with one of those heated store bought 12 hour muscle warmer thingies.

http:/www.etuinc.com

except for the 'muscle spasms' from hell,

jacuzzi tubs are wonderful but try some extra potassium just before that full moon.

today it was:

hot chocolate

boston creme donut

trailer trash hot dogs:it's "that" time of the month and i am single - johnnybird is off to detroit for work so it was the single-wide trailer trash dinner - don't laugh. i have pictures of the single wide we lived in the first year of our marriage in hooks, tx.

iceberg lettuce, tomato chunks(ok- the last of the good jersey tomatoes), cukes and champagne vinegar - sorry i couldn't bring myself to eating russian dressing

green and yellow beans - ok, fresh again- boiled then sauteed in some garlic infused olive oil

garlic grillmaster franks, split and filled with blue cheese, wraped in pillsbury crescent rolls and served with ketchup, dill hamburger chips and sweet roasted red peppers - with a red stripe beer

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

different "curse" though it applies equally to me since i am a long time red sox fan :wacko:

:biggrin:

Cubs fan here -- they of the pre-playoffs collapse. Somebody needs to keep that damn goat at Wrigley Field (supposedly the long-ago origin of our curse). Or maybe kill and roast it.

H'm. Roast goat sounds really, suspiciously, good right now. Better check my calendar.

:rolleyes:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

I crave salt, grease and sugar. With the way I bloat, I need salt like a hole in the head, but now I'm on Weight Watchers I let myself have it because it does the least long-term damage to my diet.

If I can manage it, I head down to the Japanese market and pick up some sashimi. Otherwise I get a piece of salmon or ahi or something, and cook it. A good meal of rather fatty fish always seems to hit the spot no matter what I think I'm craving.

homicidal impulses :angry:

Yes. Step right up, you're next.

The only thing that seems to quell those impulses (albeit temporarily) is: sugar, in any way shape or form. My boss was lucky enough to bring a cake into the office this morning, or he'd be dead.

today... at the hawkwatch...

buger with bacon, cheddar and fried onions...pickle... no chips or slaw

warehouse grille ... i'm the third person ordering that but the only female with a must have craving :hmmm:

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

When my PMS is raging, I find it rewarding to cook my guy a really special meal and have it waiting for him when he gets home from work – there’s something about the warmth of the kitchen, the smell of fresh bread baking, and the satisfaction of knowing that I’m pleasing my man that makes it all bearable, even beautiful.

But here’s an even better secret: when my guy is enjoying his dinner in front of the TV while dessert is baking, I make it look like I’m just shuttling up and down the stairs with the laundry basket, but really what I’m doing is trying to stay in shape, so when my period finally does come-and-go (darn that thing!), I’ll look really good in lingerie for him the week after – and he always brings me chocolate when I do that! <Wink! Giggle!>

When my PMS is raging, I find it rewarding to cook my guy a really special meal and have it waiting for him when he gets home from work – there’s something about the warmth of the kitchen, the smell of fresh bread baking, and the satisfaction of knowing that I’m pleasing my man that makes it all bearable, even beautiful.

But here’s an even better secret:  when my guy is enjoying his dinner in front of the TV while dessert is baking, I make it look like I’m just shuttling up and down the stairs with the laundry basket, but really what I’m doing is trying to stay in shape, so when my period finally does come-and-go (darn that thing!), I’ll look really good in lingerie for him the week after – and he always brings me chocolate when I do that!  <Wink! Giggle!>

:angry:

Don - get out of here before some homicidal women come track you down!!

Sheesh - do you poke sleeping bears with a sharp stick too?? :rolleyes:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Don't worry Katie, the women of DC will take care of him.

He won't know when

He won't know where

But he will PAY!!!!!!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Don't worry Katie, the women of DC will take care of him.

He won't know when

He won't know where

But he will PAY!!!!!!!! :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Hell hath no fury like a hormonally unstable woman that's been mocked!!! :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I have never craved sugar in my life. I really dislike chocolate, most candy, sweet pastry, sticky gloppy junk. I don't get PMS or associate any negative symptoms with any point of the cycle, either.

Which is why I was so surprised that today, I thought I was going to die if I didn't get a cookie immediately.

And then I didn't even really want it once I had it in my hot little hand.

:huh:

Edit: to make at least a little sense

Edited by eunny jang (log)

Now here's the saddest of sad. To satisfy my starch, grease and salt cravings all at once, here's what I had for dinner last night: fried Spam with ketchup and cold white rice. At 10:00 p.m. to boot.

*ducks and hides her head in shame*

Of course, to even out the equation as I'm typing, I'm eating some horrid storebought cookies that my son got for Halloween and washing them down with San Pellegrino Aranciata to fulfill the sugar deficit.

God help me... :rolleyes:

Edited because I forgot the sugary tomatoey goodness that is Heinz!

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

But here’s an even better secret:  when my guy is enjoying his dinner in front of the TV while dessert is baking, I make it look like I’m just shuttling up and down the stairs with the laundry basket, but really what I’m doing is trying to stay in shape, so when my period finally does come-and-go (darn that thing!), I’ll look really good in lingerie for him the week after – and he always brings me chocolate when I do that!  <Wink! Giggle!>

Beautiful! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Ladies, someday you'll all be free. I promise. :biggrin: Although I still get cravings for fried chicken. :rolleyes:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Beautiful! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

The boys of DC need to go get some sushi and play in their own sandbox!!! Get the hell out of ours :biggrin:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

SOME of us work nights

Hmmm... maybe if i feed him enough bread, etc. but still keep in shape he'll have a heartattack and die then i'll be rich and can buy a boytoy. the only down side is i still have to have sex with the beached whale :blink:

do i ever have an attitude problem tonight...

hillvalley - can we post this character's picture so we all can take a whack at him? personally i was thinking of printing a picture off and using darts

and al dente be careful...be very careful...

can you tell it has been a bad day at work? but i'm feeling better now. :wacko:

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites