• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PMS: Tell it Like It Is. Your cravings, Babe (Part 1)

maggiethecat

...and hey, I turned down the house thermostat, I should burn a few fat calories off shivering.

:cool:

Not an option at my place. I have to be warm enough during That Week, or I raise total hell until I am.

:wink:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

coconut cherry surprises (anyone had those? they're up there on the list for sugar fixes

Oh yes indeedy-do, Megaira! These were the first "Christmas Cookies" I ever made, and I doubt that even half the recipe made it past my mouth and into the cookie tin. Baker's Coconut. Yum. I haven't eaten one in thirty years, but I just might have to whip up a batch --though it would be quicker, I suppose, to simply mainline the sugar.

For the love of god, someone, please post a recipe for these! I must try these!

Will also be trying the Nanaimo Bars--that recipe looks great!

What are butter tarts?

Batgrrrl

"Shameful or not, she harbored a secret wish

for pretty, impractical garments."

Barbara Dawson Smith

*Too Wicked to Love*

cherry surprise recipe -I will go digging.

Butter tarts -I'll dig up one for those as well. It's like a mini pecan pie without the pecans, substitute golden raisins. Very sweet, very addictive, yummy yummy yummy.

". . . if waters are still, then they can't run at all, deep or shallow."

These past few days have been more than strange for me as far as PMSC... I've specifically craved Japanese food. So yesterday, I got take-out chicken katsu curry, and I also went to a Japanese market down the street (JAS Mart), and bought two bowls of instant yakisoba, and two packages of boil-n'-serve curry.

At said market, I bought some wasabi peas, some roasted nuts, and the coolest snack I've ever encountered. Scroll down to the section that says "Roasted Crab Snack." They are the teeniest-meeneist crabs ever! One package is a serving size, and it has 440% of calcium (from the shells). A good way to get lots of calcium before the thingy comes: calcium reduces the pain of cramps, I hear.

I'm not sure if the crabs on that site are the same ones that I have. My crabs came in a yellow bag that has some Japanese script, and below that, in English, it says "Let's Party." How could I resist partying with crabs? Mmmmm... crab party. :laugh:

A few hours ago, I was craving chocolate, so I had a mini-Snickers bar and a choco-chip cookie. Now, I want some bacon and cheese. :wacko:

Edited by Pumpkin Lover (log)

Thank you for Telling All on this thread, Pumpkin.

I think you have assembled amazing ammunition against PMS---it could hardly be bettered. It even has that solid calcium crab nutritional value.

Stick that bacon and cheese on a rare burger, glass of red wine--- it almost makes the cramps , the crying and the craving so worth it.

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

ok- they hit this morning while fixing johnnybird's breakfast - eggypotatoes- and i picked about half the turkey bacon out because that's what i wanted BACON.

worked out and was craving meat - buffalo, elk, cow - grilled rare maybe with a salad and lardons of BACON. went to lunch with a really good friend at lreda's An American Grill. had the sirloin tips with parpadelle and mushrooms in a wine sauce. very good but it needed something - BACON?

johnnybird wants the ususal tuesday night fare -fish of some sort so halibut with a light tomato sauce and prociutto(close to BACON). plus i made a meatloaf for sandwiches and to go with leftover scalloped potatoes with BACON on top.

sigh

thanks snowangel

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

suzi, sounds like you need a bacon sandwich (my famous bacon sandwiched between bacon). I had one for lunch today!

My family wants macaroni and cheese for dinner. I suppose that will have to do. They want fruit salad for dessert. For dessert, I want hash browns with bacon.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I thought I was craving Tex-Mex, which is patiently waiting for me to inhale but...

After reading Susan's post I am now craving hash browns and bacon. Think I can make it to the Midwest and back to DC by 8:30am tomorrow?

I am also craving sushi and spent the day sneaking mini Snickers bars when my students weren't watching. Just realized that I have no chocolate in the house. Ahhhhhhhhh!

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I have a craving question. Do you get your cravings before your period, during or both?

For me it is the week before with a little bit during the week of. Anyone else?

By the way, I LOVE this thread! Can't wait to go back and read it all!

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Once I get my period, I could care less about food. For at least a few days.

Forgot about the PMS thirst. Drink gallons of water, pee a teaspoon. I can always tell the few hours before it will come -- don't necessarily drink much, but pee gallons.

In addition to hash browns and bacon, another favorite is an egg fried in lots of bacon grease over a really hot burner so the edges get all bubbly/crispy.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I have a craving question. Do you get your cravings before your period, during or both?

ok- guys

two weeks before and i am insatiable for a day or two

then nothing till the day before (buffalo chicken wings)

but then i am of the older order( 49-53)

during - i could not care less is i ate or drank anything

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

For me it’s about craving texture .. I want creamy/crunchy so I hit the nachos and sour cream … or the smooth/chewy … so there I am, wanting dynamite rolls and keep the sushi (maki and sashimi) commin’!

Or the Defibrillator Dinner Special at the Pub (onion rings, poutine and wings .. perhaps some fried “cheese” stix?) … with beer and the Hubby!

But mostly it’s a carbs/fat obsession …

Minou ~ Kitchen Widow

It's carbs (popcorn, pasta, potatoes, bread, etc.) and eating non-stop for a day. The next day, I can't eat anything. I'm sick, bloated and the pains begin. Like clockwork, the next day is bingo. I give up, I tell you. They win. Now if they'll just leave me the hell alone :wacko:

but at least as long as we have - as our mothers/grandmothers termed it - "the curse" we are better pretected from heart disease. i do not mind this at all since i lost my nana when she was 52 and she entered menopause 20 years earlier. this is also why i am glorying in the fact i will be 5-0 next year. i am healthier than she was at the same age( i was born when she was 46 when i was born and already had health problems).

i'm due next week though i haven't started the chicken wing cravings :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

will i die if i dip cheetos in plugra butter?? can i pair this with a tempranillo? :unsure:

I find Tempranillo to be quite "food-friendly" and amiable to pairing with almost anything. Cheetos with Plugra isn't that far off from say, blinis with sour cream, is it? What is beanie-weenie casserole but cassoulet under a different and more plebeian guise? It's all in how you look at it, I say... :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I get 'em for about 2-3 days the week before (which, since it's next week, means, er, today and tomorrow are the evil scary craving days. Anyone want to split a quarter pounder?).

Then they go away for a week.

Then the day before (which will be a week from tomorrow), I have a desperate need for something - it varies, last month it was Twinkies, once before it was Taco bell, but it's always something horridly bad, usually fast food that I don't even LIKE that much the rest of the month.

Right now I'm salivating over the bread pudding Slkinsey is making for Thursday. I should perhaps warn him that making it too far in advance would be disastrous.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Well, it must be close to That Time of the Month here because last night I had bacon and eggs and toast with Plugra, cinnamon and sugar. And I did fry the 3 (!) eggs in the bacon fat.

For lunch today, it was a bacon sandwich on white bread with wasabi mayo. Yum!

I have Ghirardelli chocolate chips in the cupboard, so dinner is bound to be something like a big handful of chocolate chips and walnuts.

Wait... maybe hot caramel sauce, throw in some chocolate chips, walnuts, and top with coconut... the hell with the ice cream. :rolleyes:

chocolate chocolate chocolate

For dinner last night: 10 large, chewy, hot-out-of-the-oven Chocolate coconut oatmeal cookies. :blink:

Today I had a "gourmet" double chocolate chip cookie, Ferrero Rocher chocolates, and chocolate brownies.

Yummmmm...I love chocolate-y chewy things around this time. :biggrin: