• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PMS: Tell it Like It Is. Your cravings, Babe (Part 1)

maggiethecat

Wow, am I the only one without PMS?

I have never noticed cravings of any sort, but then I don't get mood swings, cramps, etc.

Maybe I should pay more attention, let you know in a bout 2 1/2 weeks.

Now if this were a thread about cravings during pregnancy.............................. :biggrin:

Yahhhh....I used to say the same thing and I didn't have the pregancy thing either....YOU JUST WAIT, LOL :raz: It catches up with all of us sooner or later :biggrin:

Mine is carbs carbs carbs...no sweets or chocolate; just bread and pasta...oh and FAT..butter, cream anything....I'm all over it! :wacko:

not quite that time for me yet i am craving buffalo winds and a salad. :blink:

maybe tomorrow, after the hawkwatch, i'll have to hit up the moose for an order and a brew :laugh:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

It is my time, and I have a mouth full of dark chocolate Toblerone right now. And I would love it if there were some onion rings and a pattie melt on marble rye waiting for me when I get home! But I would definitely settle for a big bowl of butter mashed potatoes. :rolleyes:

i just claim i'm pmsing so i can justify eating pork products (country ham biscuits, pork rinds, hot dogs, prosciutto..the list is endless!!) cheese-can't stay away from it. need red meat after it's all over. crave cheerwine occaisionally, but it's hard to get these days.

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

I have to say Fries with vinegar and then a bag of really good rice snacks from the Japenese store and lots of egg sandwiches. No sweets it has to be salt and Indian food.

i just claim i'm pmsing so i can justify eating pork products (country ham biscuits, pork rinds, hot dogs, prosciutto..the list is endless!!) cheese-can't stay away from it. need red meat after it's all over. crave cheerwine occaisionally, but it's hard to get these days.

you're from north carolina huh?

Edited by tryska (log)

• 2 weeks later...
crave cheerwine occaisionally, but it's hard to get these days.

:wink:

Now that piques my curiosity. What's cheerwine?

:biggrin:

Okay, it looks like my lack of information will have to suffice here. Cheerwine is a soda somewhere down south, or in the midwest, or someplace. It's extremely local to the place it's made. I can't remember what it tastes like.

ahh, dark, dark chocolate, red wine and salty chips.

Those chili lime ones are awesome (the chips that is).

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

crave cheerwine occaisionally, but it's hard to get these days.

:wink:

Now that piques my curiosity. What's cheerwine?

:biggrin:

Okay, it looks like my lack of information will have to suffice here. Cheerwine is a soda somewhere down south, or in the midwest, or someplace. It's extremely local to the place it's made. I can't remember what it tastes like.

Cherry soda -- and a pretty good one, if you like that sort of thing. As elyse surmises, it's availability is limited to the South, and not even all of that.

Cheerwine website.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

SUGARfat saltFAT SUGARfat saltFAT SUGARfat saltFAT SUGARfat saltFAT....

lather. rinse. repeat.

I used to get PMS on the clock, I never had to keep track of anything because I knew within 24 hours due to the dramatic high I'd hit after a week of murderous weepy rampages. My period would hit and I'd be normal again. *click* like a switch.

Then came the pill.

This is why women gain weight on the pill: the pms doesn't click off, it just keeps on going throughout the whole damned week and sometimes right on out the other side (Hub: I thought periods only lasted a week me: are you calling me a liar? *tears up*). The food cravings are intense and specific and there will be no rest in the house of meg until they are satisfied.

But, what's the point of suffering cramps every month of your life without having that little light at the back of the fridge? The cravings are what make it bearable. It's compensation for the misery. Sure, it's embarassing to be caught furtively eating kraft mac & cheese in the dark shadows of the kitchen, but then, you have a perfectly valid excuse to do so. Who's going to (be foolish enough to) argue with you?

Part of me, deep down inside, can't wait to get pregnant just so I can demand wierd combinations of food with complete and uncontestable authority. Bring me samosas! and ice cream! with donuts! and Dr. Pepper!

From maggie's article:

Vitamin E is said to help counter anxiety, depression, and feelings of homicidal rage.

*tosses the vitamins* I play First Person Shooters. My frag counts are always much improved when I'm anxious, depressed and homicidal. :biggrin: Itchy trigger finger.

". . . if waters are still, then they can't run at all, deep or shallow."

(Hub: I thought periods only lasted a week  me: are you calling me a liar? *tears up*).

Coffee splattering my monitor. When will men ever learn? :biggrin:

Samosa, ice cream and donuts, what a great PMS trio. With the addition of a big slab of red meat, and subbing red wine for the Dr. Pepper ...

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I indulged a major PMS craving today.

I spent the entire day eating cheese. :blink: I kid you not, the. Entire. Day. Epoisses, Edel de Cléron, Morbier and Saga blue on sourdough and hazelnut sourdough.

I am now pleasantly full of cheese and my fat/salt craving has been satisfied for the time being. And my hormones are calm and ready to allow me a good night's sleep, assuming the ferrets don't start fighting at 3 am again.

Oh and slkinsey made spicy hot chocolates...that just put the proverbial icing on the cake. :biggrin:

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Oh man, this past week I just ate and ate and ate. And then, I ate some more, just for the hell of it. I'm disgusted with myself.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Aw...don't be disgusted. I'm just going to write off this weekend as hopeless, start fresh on Monday.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

A Canadian original.  God:  Chocolate, coconut, custard powder---a serious sin.

Some evil person decided to make them in mint too. Nainamo bars in their original form are hard enough to resist (ok, let's be honest, I don't resist them), but mint? ohhh god in heaven.

Don't forget butter tarts.

I know it's not pms related, but nainamo bars, on the other hand...

When I was little, my grandmother would premake nainamo bars, buttertarts, coconut cherry surprises (anyone had those? they're up there on the list for sugar fixes), etc. and store them wrapped in the freezer. Then, when she found out she had company coming, she could just whip them out and they'd be ready to go when people arrived.

Everytime we were there to visit, the minute no one was looking, I'd make a beeline for the freezer and rootle around in there looking for goodies. I doubt she wondered where all her nainamo bars and butter tarts were disappearing to, I was a notorious sugar fiend.

I have to mention that at the time, my grandfather was ornathology enthusiast who had a side interest in taxidermy. There were stuffed seagulls (there's a heck of a lot of different types of seagulls, just fyi), hawks, owls and other birds all over their home. I thought he did all of his work at their cottage up north and brought the birds back with him to mount on the wall.

One weekend, Grandma had gone upstairs to read, so I snuck into the storage area & went digging through the freezer. I stumbled across a small foil and plastic wrapped package. Figuring it might be something worthwhile, I unwrapped layer after layer of foil & plastic (god, grandma's getting determined to keep me out of the stash) until too late, I realized the package wasn't shaped quite...normal. I zipped off the last piece of plastic and out rolled (sort of) a sparrow-sicle...little beak open, legs sticking straight out. I was standing in their storage area juggling the dead bird and trying to get it back in the plastic without touching it and at the same time, trying not to make any noise that would give away my location. Never dug through that freezer again. :wacko:

back to the PMS:

I rounded out the end of PMS week by trying a new brownie recipe -the fudgy brownies from the april/may 2000 issue of Cook's Illustrated. Darned good, if I do say so myself, but after 3 big ones, I had to get hub to wrap them up and stash them in the freezer (we now know how well that method works on me. :rolleyes: I give them till tuesday) so I won't eat them all. We'd devoured a nice calorie laden meal of hamburgers (with bacon and chedder) and oven fried potatos beforehand. I did a few crunches to compensate....and hey, I turned down the house thermostat, I should burn a few fat calories off shivering.

". . . if waters are still, then they can't run at all, deep or shallow."

Oh man, this past week I just ate and ate and ate.  And then, I ate some more, just for the hell of it.  I'm disgusted with myself.

heh heh...same here.

After Burger Club, I went and bought a bag of those addictive Two-Bite Brownies. And didn't really see the point in saving any for the next day, so I just ate the whole bag. Also ate a whole bag of chocolate Teddy Grahams the next day. Just can't seem to put the bag away after it's been opened! :biggrin:

like Nanaimo bars

A Canadian original. God: Chocolate, coconut, custard powder---a serious sin.

Post your recipe, ling!

I bought my monster-sized Nanaimo bar for $1.40 (tax included!) at one of the food places on campus, but here's a link to the recipe: http://www.tourism.nanaimo.bc.ca/visitorin..._nanaimobar.asp

coconut cherry surprises (anyone had those? they're up there on the list for sugar fixes

Oh yes indeedy-do, Megaira! These were the first "Christmas Cookies" I ever made, and I doubt that even half the recipe made it past my mouth and into the cookie tin. Baker's Coconut. Yum. I haven't eaten one in thirty years, but I just might have to whip up a batch --though it would be quicker, I suppose, to simply mainline the sugar.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com