• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PMS: Tell it Like It Is. Your cravings, Babe (Part 1)

maggiethecat

They started today: teeth dripping at the idea of nearly raw flesh, stomach churning at the thought of blood and grease consumption, mind racing to organize life about the meat and chocolate I could wash down with phat red juice. Aha, thought I: didn't the same thing appen last month? Naturally I backed up a page to reaffirm that YES, I live in a rather regimented if undisciplined swiss time piece.

:angry::laugh::angry::laugh:

Blue ribbon winner in the Useless Knowledge Hall of Infamy: the iron I crave (or so they say) in meat is found more plentifully in kale and any other bitter green. :sad:

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

They started today: teeth dripping at the idea of nearly raw flesh, stomach churning at the thought of blood and grease consumption, mind racing to organize life about the meat and chocolate I could wash down with phat red juice. Aha, thought I: didn't the same thing appen last month? Naturally I backed up a page to reaffirm that YES, I live in a rather regimented if undisciplined swiss time piece.

:angry:  :laugh:  :angry:  :laugh:

I can relate to the Swiss time piece thing. 10AM every fourth Thursday. Really. I guess being chemically controlled has its advantages, or at least its lack of surprises!

Blue ribbon winner in the Useless Knowledge Hall of Infamy: the iron I crave (or so they say) in meat is found more plentifully in kale and any other bitter green.  :sad:

Oh boo. This just utterly sucks all the joy out of it, doesn't it? There's really nothing vaguely satisfying about pulling up to a big honking plate of KALE or MUSTRD GREENS. Sheesh! A big rare piece of MEAT on the other hand... :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 1 month later...

Peppermint Patties, Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Fudge brownie, garlic mash potatoes, spaghetti and meat balls, my mom's orzo with just butter and salt...the list could go on...

Peppermint Patties, Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Fudge brownie, garlic mash potatoes, spaghetti and meat balls, my mom's orzo with just butter and salt...the list could go on...

This may be the classic roundup of all three food groups! Oh, the sin...garlic mashed potatoes and spaghetti and meatballs on the same plate!

Welcome, Nikki!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

This may be the classic roundup of all three food groups! Oh, the sin...garlic mashed potatoes and spaghetti and meatballs on the same plate!

Welcome, Nikki!

I'm not seein' anything fried here.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Archie: You have never lived until you've had a battered, deep-fried Peppermint Patty!

Sorry, Lily. Next time I'll ask for the recipe before jumping to conclusions.

(Better than a deep-fried Mars Bar? Really?)

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Archie: You have never lived until you've had a battered, deep-fried Peppermint Patty!

Sorry, Lily. Next time I'll ask for the recipe before jumping to conclusions.

(Better than a deep-fried Mars Bar? Really?)

You ain't had nothin' 'til you've had a deep-fried chocolate covered Pay Day!! Trust me . . .

LARB.  Am I the only one who craves  hot/spicy/limey (when I'm not craving my oh-so-famous bacon sandwich -- bacon sandwiched between bacon)?

No, you're not the only one . . .

And cold/spicy/limey works for me, too, as in cerviche.

• 3 months later...

I was going to say I don't really get PMS cravings, then I thought about what I ate yesterday... 2 pieces of toast with lots of butter and jam, 4 slices bacon (all right, 1/2 slices) about 3 cups of hot cocoa, and 1/2 bag of Trader Joes Honey Sesame Sticks. And I'm really craving corn dogs (due to the thread on them, thank you) and fried eggs. wierd

all forms of carby goodness.

usually i alternate between sour cream and onion pringles, and chocolate and candy. it's bad. i also want to sleep in and not move off the couch.

wierdest thing is come the morning of P-day, i wake up craving salad and freeweight squats. i also wake up bright-eyed and perky at 5am.

Gotta go with meat. Gorgeous, red, still mooing or at least grunting loudly. Chocolate occasionally, but always meat. Carpaccio, tataki, lightly killed steak... aaaaah. :biggrin:

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Well, so far today I ate:

one magic cookie bar

four kosher pickles

a bunch of pretzels with raspberry honey mustard dip

a beer

BTW: recipe for magic cookie bars

melt a stick of butter in a glass baking dish

spread the butter evenly -- and this is in layers, so everything needs to be spread evenly

put in graham cracker crumbs, enough so that the crumbs soak up all of the butter

next layer is one can of sweetened condensed milk

next layer is chocolate chips -- I used Ghirardelli, pretty good

next layer: the nuts of your choice (I used pecans)

top layer: coconut. a lot of it

bake at 350 for ?? I don't know, my oven wasn't working right, but I think it takes at least a half hour (assuming your oven is working right)

Magic cookie bars kick PMSs ass. I'm gonna go get another one. :raz:

Alternative: only for severe cases: take that can of sweetened condensed milk, dump in chocolate chips, coconut and nuts, eat straight out of the can with a spoon. :laugh:

SALT.

FAT.

SUGAR.

MEAT.

Not necessarily in that order, and not necessarily all together. I can make a perfectly happy PMS meal out of a Ben & Jerry's waffle cone filled with peanut butter cup ice cream, or chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream, or really any ice cream that ISN'T chunky monkey.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Bacon. Cheddar Cheese. Pickles. (And yes, I will even eat them all together.)

Pizza.

Swiss Cake Rolls.

Coke.

Fried Eggs.

Toasted bagels with ungodly amounts of butter.

Kosher salt (as in I'll lick my finger, shove it into the box and eat a fingerful of salt)

Hey whuddya know, I've just prepared tonight's shopping list. Cool.

Sherri A. Jackson

usually i alternate between sour cream and onion pringles, and chocolate and candy.  it's bad.  i also want to sleep in and not move off the couch.

wierdest thing is come the morning of P-day, i wake up craving salad and freeweight squats. i also wake up bright-eyed and perky at 5am.

Do you also feel lighter like maybe you have less water weight and you can move better on that day than the prior days?

Dark chocolate

Oreos

Coca Cola

fried things

all manner of carby things as tryska noted.

Of course if one has bad PMS the restriction of straight sugar carby things is generally best. However, my thesis is that dark chocolate(in limited quantities of course no more than two pounds at any given time) is helpful particularly at that time because of the greater need for seratonin, which is also present in meat. That's why your body is craving it.

:wink:

Pleasant to know somebody's paying attention, anyhow. 

For me, it's triple-creme cheese.  Brie, Camembert...you name it, I'll set it on a piece of good fresh bread, drink a nice round red with it, and eat grapes. 

(Peeling the grapes is nice, depending on how cute the peeler is...I sometimes experience major raging horniness at or just before That Time.  Been quite a while since I actually yowled at the moon or rubbed up on lampposts, but, umm, you get the general idea.  :biggrin: )

Concur - Mashed taters with lots of butter, cheeseburgers, Cary Grant and yes I become a major horndog right before. On the other hand, I'm probably just a horndog all the time.

Ranch-flavored tortilla chips. I can eat bags of them.

I eat a lot of ice cream as well.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

usually i alternate between sour cream and onion pringles, and chocolate and candy.  it's bad.  i also want to sleep in and not move off the couch.

Do you also feel lighter like maybe you have less water weight and you can move better on that day than the prior days?

oh absolutely - p-week is the one week I can actually see something akin to abs as well. i also feel almost flushed that first day. if anything during p-week, i feel super-normal. one thing i have found is that the cravings come int he evenings during PMS, and if i actually bump up my calories per day to 24-2600 (i normally eat around 2000) i don't wind up bingeing in the evenings.

For a completely, totally, impeccably scientific look at this phenom, and of course, shameless self-promotion ( :rolleyes: ) some of you may not have read this: Our Cravings, Ourselves

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com