• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PMS: Tell it Like It Is. Your cravings, Babe (Part 1)

maggiethecat

Ahh the joys of being female.

It's strange looking down all the posts and thinking .. wow that sounds like me!

Bacon, fries, instant noodles ( the msg kind! blah.. they are so gross but I NEED them). It's the one time I might buy potato chips. Anything salty.

Orange juice.. gotta be cold and gotta be the real thing.

Cuddle up on the couch and feel sorry for myself for at least a day and bite the head off anyone that comes within spitting distance.

Frozen Black and Whites (but, really when don't I crave those?)

Onion rings

Chocolate frosting spread on graham crackers; frozen and thawed to give the grahm cracker a chewy (read stale) rather than crunchy bite.

Mozzarella chunks encased in bread dough, baked, and dipped into marinara.

Whatever "seasonal" low rent chocolate that happens to be displayed as I enter the grocery store.

(Pastel M&M's, red and white M&M's......)

Ben and Jerry frozen yogurt.

Pizza

Rootbeer floats

I could go on........

Edited by Crystal (log)

We like the mooooon........Coz it is close to us...........

Ironically I just mentioned one PMS necessity on another thread...

Saute cooked macaroni (plus one sliced-up hot dog - this is optional) in a ridiculous amount of butter (three or four tablespoons) until the macaroni is a tiny bit crispy. Squirt in enough ketchup to give the macaroni a soft orangey-red glow.  Add a generous amount of black pepper and way, way more salt than my doctor would want me to consume in a week. Turn off the heat, put macaroni into bowl, and swirl in a final squirt of ketchup (for a little temperature contrast). Yum...

I'm sorry to intrude on this thread, ladys, just doing some research...

This mac and cheese thing is just...wow!

2317/5000

7-Up

Russian Beer

Crispy roasted chicken and a jar of Marie's Bleu Cheese for dipping

Shoestring potatos

Fully dressed baked potatos

Mashed potatos

American fries

Hash browns

My children's tater tots

Candied sweet potatos

Potato salad

Green olives

Puffed Cheetos

Whopper w/cheese, bacon, extra pickles, no onions

I've been known to dust a slab of ribs during these times.

Arizona Iced Tea with lemon

My friend Marc's pina coladas (made with Meyer's Dark and Coco Lopez).

Yesterday night, a friend of mine was over at my house. He works in a (delicious) pizza place. He casually mentioned that for him to go to work, whip up a (delicious) pizza, have a whiskey, and then come back (with the delicious, fresh-hot pizza), would only take him about 35 minutes.

I jumped off the couch (from a completely prone position) grabbed his shoulders, and screamed: "PIZZA!"

So, I guess I'd have to add "pizza" to this tally.

Edited: to say that this was 30 minutes after eating two bowls of Honey Nut Cheerios with 2%. So I'll go ahead and add that, too.

Edited by NeroW (log)

Noise is music. All else is food.

Nachos with tons of beans and cheese and sour cream. Frozen heath bars, ice cream out of the container, with chocolate in it (or else). Mashed potatoes overflowing with butter and heaped with salt. Bagels thick with cream cheese and slices of tomato.... oh yeah, and cheesecake. :wub:

mmmm, hungry.

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

Nachos with tons of beans and cheese and sour cream.  Frozen heath bars, ice cream out of the container, with chocolate in it (or else).  Mashed potatoes overflowing with butter and heaped with salt.  Bagels thick with cream cheese and slices of tomato.... oh yeah, and cheesecake.  :wub:

mmmm, hungry.

La fete de qui? Une des soeurs epatantes?

Fritz: I'll be over shortly. I might have to come to blows with you for the bagels and potatoes. :raz:

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

:cool:

No problem. I'll bring extra bagels and nobody has to do anything but toast, and enjoy.

Shall I also bring some Veuve, so we can toast the toasted bagels?

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Sorry about this Fritz, but my major PMS cravings are beef and dairy. I'm currently not at the beef stage yet, but my grocery lists for the past two weekends prove I'm definitely in the dairy stage: whole milk, whole milk yogurt, lots of cheese, whipping cream. I don't usually have any of these items in my house except maybe for some Parmesan cheese. If I do have milk and yogurt, it's usually skim/fat-free. I also get into dessert mode where cookies just don't make the grade. I had to make tarts this weekend: one chocolate and dried cherry and one pear. Both were 12-in tarts. The chocolate is gone and I'm about a third of the way through the pear tart.

This is kind of scary, my Illinois sistergirls. Yeah we like each other a lot. And we're already cycling together? The power of eGullet and hormones! :biggrin:

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

And we're already cycling together? The power of eGullet and hormones! 

Ironically, yes!

Tarts? Can we stop at Rhea's after going to Fritz Brenner's?

Sounds like we should have a slumber party where we all stuff our faces, watch silly movies, and read fluff-brain magazines! :raz:

-Fritz

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

Sounds like we should have a slumber party where we all stuff our faces, watch silly movies, and read fluff-brain magazines! :raz:

Yeah - and around midnight, we sneak out and go TP someone's house.

And then, at 2am, the boys come over and catch us in our nighties and we all squeal in mock horror.

And then a few wussies fall asleep. Whereupon they get their bra put into the freezer.

And their hand laid ever so gently into a bowl of warm water.

:raz:

Ah - the good ole' days.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

And then, at 2am, the boys come over and catch us in our nighties and we all squeal in mock horror.

And then a few wussies fall asleep. Whereupon they get their bra put into the freezer.

Ah - the good ole' days.

Hey Jaymes..Admit: we could still do this. :biggrin:

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Ah - the good ole' days.

Okay, now you guys are freaking me out....

Wow Jaymes, you're much nicer than I was. Hot water? Frozen bras? What about magic marker all over the face, or my personal favorite, a flashlight shone directly into the sleepers eyes, while everyone still awake screams "TRAIN! TRAIN! GET OUT OF THE TRACKS!"

I've noticed that in the week before, I really, really crave fish and seafood. Last month it was roasted salmon one night, pan-seared tuna the next, and then roasted halibut the next. Anyone else experience this?

And this weekend, my best girlfriend and I have a lobster dinner planned. Her live-in boyfriend has not been alerted to the existence of this thread, but she has, so we've planned our Saturday meal accordingly. :raz:

Noise is music. All else is food.

• 2 weeks later...

salt & vinegar potato chips preferably kettle chips balsamic vinegar & sea salt though pringles will do in a pinch,

steak rare prefferably w. bone in so I can gnaw ( though have been experimenting with pork due to extra high iron count)

french fries w. mayonaise not ketchup

every once in a while chocolate but have been progressivly loosing my sweet tooth...chocolate milkshake or an egg cream (I keep ubet choco syrup in my fridge) usually in combo w. fries and/or well done burger w. mayo & pickles

we're all on the same cycle here at the restaurant and are all salt pms girls there is one week when all of the sudden smartfood, salt & vinegar chips & doritos are everywhere

am considering putting up a salt lick in the basement

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

my cravings always seem to begin on the sentimential/nostalgia bent--

i'll crave good ol jewish 'appetizing" and devour pickled herring and bagels and lox with onions and scallion cream cheese--SALT! Matzo Brie comes to mind as well.

I swear its like I have a tapeworm that time of the month, i can just eat and eat and eat--fast food is very danergous--everyhitng from burgers, hot dogs..

cheese lots of cheese.

and then what I've deemed PMS mix, which is just bulk trail mix with sesame sticks and m&m's sweet and salty is the key.

-----------------

AMUSE ME

my cravings always seem to begin on the sentimential/nostalgia bent--

i'll crave good ol jewish 'appetizing" and devour pickled herring and bagels and lox with onions and scallion cream cheese--SALT! Matzo Brie comes to mind as well.

I swear its like I have a tapeworm that time of the month, i can just eat and eat and eat--fast food is very danergous--everyhitng from burgers, hot dogs..

cheese lots of cheese.

and then what I've deemed PMS mix, which is just bulk trail mix with sesame sticks and m&m's sweet and salty is the key.

pancake style matzo brie made w. onion matzo & large curd cottage cheese on the side i could eat like 500 right now...yes am a woman on the verge

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

Have we discussed spicy (this would not replace the bacon/salty/fried theme, just augment)?

This afternoon: one bacon sandwich, sans bread, lettuce, condiments (it just sounds better if one describes it as a sandwich). bacon sandwiched between bacon.

Followed by main dish, an asianish chicken soup with lots of nam pla and about 1/8 lb. of priki nu (bird chilis) thinly sliced.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Hot dogs

INTRUDER!!

odd - last month and this one i've started craving meat - pork, buffalo, ostrich, venison and stir fried vegetables. this morning it was a toasted ham and swiss sandwich for breakfast - hmmmmm wonder what i can scrounge up for dinner

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Hot dogs

INTRUDER!!

odd - last month and this one i've started craving meat - pork, buffalo, ostrich, venison and stir fried vegetables. this morning it was a toasted ham and swiss sandwich for breakfast - hmmmmm wonder what i can scrounge up for dinner

And note the not-at-all-subtle symbolism of the hot dog . . .

I've also experienced the meat jones phenomenon, suzilightning; oftentimes, I specifically crave very rare beef manifested as a hamburger or rib-eye steak.

snowangel's baconbaconbacon sandwich sounds, well, heavenly . . . . :wink: