• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PMS: Tell it Like It Is. Your cravings, Babe (Part 1)

maggiethecat

A also am guilty of the sweet then salty thing. Right now, I'm relaxing in bed screaming at my husband "CAKE!" because I really, really want a big slice of moist, dark chocolate cake with a big scoop of sweet cream/vanilla ice cream. Then I know I'll want a bag of salt and vinegar potato chips.

"CAKE!"

Ah well, he's ignoring me. I'll just have to get out of bed and get it myself. Grrrrr.

Today - the undeniable urge for a poached egg, smooth and runny and littered with a liberal dose of cracked sea salt, on toasted La Brea sourdough. Its salty, its fatty, its bread-y. Yum.

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

^ :laugh: The Korova dough takes care of the chocolate cravings AND the salt cravings in one delicious, easily-put-together product! Not only that, the mixing bowl and wooden spoon is perfect for cradling in front of the TV--no extra bowls or clean-up required! Still need convincing? One batch of dough = one PMS-serving size. Just eat the whole thing. No need to rustle around in your cupboards, looking for extra containers to store your dough. You should be thanking me! :raz:

Edited by Ling (log)

• 2 weeks later...

My current PMS recipe goes suchly:

Take waffle-weave pretzels and lay on cookie sheet. Place a carmel Hersey's kiss atop each one. Place in 325* oven for 3 minutes. Then, remove from oven and cram a peanut butter M&M into the kiss. Allow this gooey mess to cool and then eat by the bucket full.

Salty, sweet, creamy, crunchy. Mmmmm... :wub:

Right now: cheddar cheese prezel bits with a glass of sake.

Last night: spicy sauteed sausage and brocolli rabe in garlic and red pepper flakes served over polenta

vanilla icecream with homemade limoncello

Today at work: yogurt with honey and granola

1 bag of peanut M+Ms

4 short bread cookies

1 small plate of greens with basil dressing

2 strawberries, 1 handful of grapes

2 chocolate chip cookies

I believe that means I'm on both a salt & sweet kick right now. YAY! :wink:

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

I was at my friend's house yesterday and he made 7-layer dip...a big bowl of it. My favourite layer is the layer with the taco mix/sour cream/mayo. I must've eaten like 2 cups worth of dip at least!!! with most of a bag of those Hint-of-Lime tortilla chips (pretty much the only tortilla chips I really like.) OMIGOD that hit the spot. And then I dove into my Valrhona stash...

I had an intense cheesecake craving... so I took the time out and baked a big niner with a graham crust. AAHHHH...I ate 3/4 of it and shared small portions with my family! ;)

I am in the process of fulfilling a dream, one that involves a huge stainless kitchen, heavenly desserts and lots of happy sweet-toothed people.

So...I have a confession to make. I thought I had PMS last week but I guess I was just being a pig as usual...oink oink. I must've remembered the date wrong. But today I was in a FOUL mood. Seriously, I was pretty grumpy from the moment I woke up...I didn't really talk to anyone much today.

I ate non-stop. :blush:

Some of today's highlights:

-I made a tray of pain au chocolat...I ate like 8 of them.

-I had 6 Portuguese cream tarts (made those too)

-then I baked brownies, covered them in ganache and caramel. Ate 3.

-I ate a big handful of Valrhona pieces and raisins...kind of like high-end Glosettes, now that I think about it. Then a handful of cashews.

-I ate a huge plate of beef curry and potatoes

-scrambled eggs, some sort of Chinese soup with lots of pork

-a big plate of pasta and a mountain of meatballs

-a blueberry muffin (from Costco...yuck) with cream cheese

-and then if that wasn't enough, I ate HALF A GINGER CAKE

-another handful of Valrhona...(I am running low)

-a hunk of E. Guittard Harmonie b/c my friend came over and wanted to try it...so I might as well eat a piece too, right?

GRRRRRRRRRR!!!! Feel like a fatty! *sob*

ETA: OOPS I forgot to write about my lunch! It was four slices of that soft, squishy bread you get at Chinese bakeries slathered with a ton of peanut butter and sprinkled with chocolate chips (the cheap stuff), and a cup of hot chocolate (powdered mix). :wacko:

Edited by Ling (log)

Another hulking male...

So...I have a confession to make...

[Amazing menu deleted...]

I've definitely had days like this... Geez, I wish men could have PMS too, it would give me an excuse for so many of my glutfests. :biggrin: Actually I'm convinced that males do have hormone peaks that cause food cravings; at least some of us. Why else would I wake up some mornings with a desire to start the day with the rest of the brownies I made the day before, and pretty much continue that way through the day? :) And wanting or not wanting chocolate is especially variable, but when I want it, it just keeps calling...

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

Ummm, I didn't realize it was PMS...until this morning (groan!) Last night I made frosting. I just needed that sugary, buttery goodness. And put it on the banana muffins my DH made for breakfast (packaged mix). Made vanilla, took 1/3 out and made chocolate from the rest. OY. I had a spoon of frosting with breakfast too :biggrin:

What can I say, sometimes a girl just needs some buttercream.

I succumbed.

Let me tell you, there's an even better way of eating Korova Cookie dough, and that's hot, gooey and chockful of melted chocolate chips.

See, I keep a batch of the dough in the freezer for emergencies. And I had a craving for a melted, gooey Mars bar--which does not exist in the House.

So I nuked the dough... voila! It's warm and comforting, rich and gooey, sweet and salty, and it's got chocolate! What else could you ask for?

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

So I nuked the dough... voila! It's warm and comforting, rich and gooey, sweet and salty, and it's got chocolate! What else could you ask for?

Um....a blob of dulce de leche on top? :smile:

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

It's that time of the month again...

I had:

dozens of cornflake cookies

Sushi

big bowl of flat rice noodles with fishballs

more nuked Korova cookie dough

deep-fried sweet potatoes

Lotus-leaf wrapped glutinous rice

sweet beancurd

chocolate--we will not go into how many pieces

I'm dreaming about...scrambled eggs, but it's already 10pm! I really don't want to have to do the dishes at midnight....

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Although I can hardly rival some of the posters here, I now know why I came home on Friday night and cooked a few slices of bacon, then carmelized some onion in some (really, very little) of the bacon grease, and sauteed mushrooms in some butter in the same pan. Then I made an absolutely FABULOUS burger, put it on a fresh portuguese roll that I had partially gutted, topped it with some cheddar, the onions, shrooms and bacon, and sat my butt on the couch. Had the last of a bottle of one of my favorite inexpensive SuperTuscans, and was quite pleased with myself. Ah, meat. And bacon. And onions, and mushrooms, and bread, and red wine! :laugh:

Then I defrosted a piece of my birthday cake, which I froze b/c it was delicious but so rich that it would have gone bad if I hadn't done so, since I could only eat small pieces at a time. Of course, that was a couple of weeks ago... :raz:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."