• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PMS: Tell it Like It Is. Your cravings, Babe (Part 1)

maggiethecat

Ever have a PMS craving go bad? Last week, I wanted steak. BAD. Beef has been so expensive around here that I refuse to buy it. Stupid, but when I can buy 16 chicken legs or 16 chicken thighs for just over $3, I find it hard to justify spending that much for about 2/3 lb. of ground beef. Anyway... I had absolutely had it so I made my husband pull into the grocery store at 9:30pm to pick up a Ribeye (him) and a strip (me). Went home, prepped the steaks, and threw them into the cast iron skillet. Nuked some red potatoes and boiled some petite peas. The steaks were still a little too cool in the middle to be considered medium rare, but instead of just putting them under some foil to finish, I threw them under the broiler for a minute, pulled them out and let them rest. To make a long story short, they turned out medium well and I was PISSED. There is nothing worse than trying to satisfy a craving and then jacking it up, with no one to blame but yourself. :angry:

Ladies (and Fresser),

First of all, a request. If we're going to be inviting guys named Tyler to the sleepover, can we please add this one to the list for moi? :wub:

And now...drumroll, please...I couldn't wait to present this to all of you after seeing it yesterday. I wish you all a Happy Channukah, Merry Christmas, and overall Happy Holidays and a healthy and happy New Year!

Here's to a great (monthly) '06! Now enjoy the following, and swear to share it:

Click for the love!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

:angry: I can't figure out how to upload a picture.

Can I use something like Shutterfly or Picturetrail or must I do the album thingie?

Well, it is in my album, but I can't figure out how to get it here, so I'll just link to the original.

<a href="http://pub33.bravenet.com/photocenter/album.php?img=88481&usernum=2776043073">PMS Diner</a>

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Here's to a great (monthly) '06!  Now enjoy the following, and swear to share it: 

Click for the love!

This is just too funny! Gotta send one to my sister, because that would explain her mood on Sunday. Then again, she may kill me. :laugh:

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

My dear sisters,

I solemnly apologize for disgracing the Sisterhood. :blush:

I made Korova cookies for the first time today. Not only are they still frozen and unbaked, I didn't even try some of the cookie dough! :shock:

I hereby promise to make it up by baking them off and eating every single one of them.

Am I forgiven? :unsure:

May

My dear sisters,

I made Korova cookies for the first time today. Not only are they still frozen and unbaked, I didn't even try some of the cookie dough! :shock:

I hereby promise to make it up by baking them off and eating every single one of them.

Am I forgiven?  :unsure:

Only if you share with all the girls. And me.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

My dear sisters,

Am I forgiven?  :unsure:

In your dreams! :raz::laugh:

May

Whenever Aunt Flow shows up, I get this incredible craving for all things beef.

Especially steak and pho.

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMm.........................

Rarely sweets, I'm more of a salty lil' lady when it comes to calming the waves; although, a cookie (or seven) never hurt me.

My dear sisters,

Am I forgiven?   :unsure:

:cool:

You surely are forgiven, Sister. Being just a touch...capricious...goes with the territory.

It also helps that more than one of my Chrismukkah gifts were chocolate/sugar-based, and that I'm enjoying some of same with the last of a split of good Champagne.

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

I had a guacamole craving this weekend but couldn't find an avocado to save my life. So I went to Sam's Club and bought a giant bag of premade guacamole.

*Please note that I did serve some of it to my guests on NYE.*

The rest was squeezed directly from bag onto chip... and directly from bag into mouth... and directly from bag onto piece of leftover pork... and directly back into mouth. Sigh. It was actually very, very good. Spicy with big chunks of avocado. Mmmm.

Ahhhh... That brand spanking new pint didn't have to wait too long in my freezer before I went medieval on its creamy ass. :biggrin:

Mmmm.... Dutch Chocolate.

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

Ahhhh...  That brand spanking new pint didn't have to wait too long in my freezer before I went medieval on its creamy ass.  :biggrin:

Mmmm.... Dutch Chocolate.

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

Yet another hulking male joins the PMS Cravings thread...

Let's give a big Sisterhood welcome to Marsellus Wallace!

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

This week, it's been all chocolate, all the time.

And now I'm slightly tipsy (post-dinner-party and the related dishes) and watching Steel Magnolias. Uh-oh. Trouble ahead, kiddos.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I usually crave something very salty, followed by something sweet .. then salty again .. its a vicious cycle.

this time around i want spice. nuclear spice. violent red kimchis .. chipotle sauce, right from the bottle. equally violent reactions from my colon .. but oh so good :smile:

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much

I usually crave something very salty, followed by something sweet .. then salty again .. its a vicious cycle.

this time around i want spice.  nuclear spice.  violent red kimchis .. chipotle sauce, right from the bottle.  equally violent reactions from my colon .. but oh so good :smile:

Perhaps you could stop by the Stoking the Fanny Furnace thread and lend your, ah, wisdom. :shock:

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

I'm on a food bender this today. So far, I have already eaten the following:

Slice of leftover wild mushroom pizza w/pine nuts (bland, but the crust rocked), slice of spicy sausage and hot pepper pizza (kicked ass), some kind of peppermint patty knock off, Arby's mozzerella sticks (yuk!), and an Arby's Chicken Club Salad (eh.). It's not quite 12:30 in the afternoon. :blink: I need a nap and some Midol.

I have intense carb cravings...satisfied by:

potato pierogies (melt some butter and sprinkle on chives)

potato pizza - yep, for carb-o-holics, it is heaven on a slice. Nice thin crust white pizza with thin slices of roasted, brown at the edge potato slices...sigh, only Suvio's in Morristown makes it.

And I'm really wanting to make a lasagne right now...

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Last week, cheese!! Cheese, cheese and more cheese. I came home from work on Wednesday and had to have macaroni and cheese, but I didn't have any cheddar. After a phone call to Moosh failed to produce cheddar, I had to resort to cracker barrel from the little neighborhood market. While purchasing this, I saw cheesies....oh god, I must have cheesies. It was ugly. Macaroni and cheese made with cheap cheddar, beautiful stilton, and a swiss hard cheese. Oh so good. Plus half a bag of cheesies and then some chocolate.

Now post-period, killer migraines and all I want is a pain killer.....and wine.