• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Il Panificio, Sarasota

Beachfan

I had the best pizza of the last five years today. I grew up in the golden age of pizza in NY, every neighborhood had very good pizza, and there was always a legendary place within 5 miles. My adult life has been spent searching out the pizza excellence of my youth.

While I haven't been to New Haven, nor DiFara's, I"ve been to many legends (or ex legends) in NYC. Lately, the much anticipated Otto. Well, in Sarasota Florida, I just had pizza that I thought would be served at Otto(at least the crust style).

While it was thinner crust than the traditional pie of my youth, the crust was absolutely perfect. A little char, abile to hold it at one end, flavorful. The type of pie that's great out of the oven, but great reheated.

I had parts of 5 slices: anchovies, basil and tomato, ricotta, pepperoni and mushroom, and mushroom. The only one that wasn't a 10 was the mushroom. The bursts of flavor, the quality of the cheese, the perfect integatrion of pie and topping. It was all there.

The mushroom slice tasted a little sweet to me, all the other slices had a little salt in the topping that made it more balanced (it wasn't fresh mushrooms but that could have been ok). That slice was still a 10.

They had fabulous looking cold italian subs too. Any pizza maven in the area should stop in.

PS The Italian cookies are good, but the few I tried weren't up to Veniero quality. Still, better than the average by far.

beachfan

I don't know where the owners came from, but I wouldn't be surprised. It's definitely has a real deal feel to it. It feels like Brooklyn or Jersey.

I'm here for my in-laws 55 anniversary. We succeded in putting the fun back in dysfunctional.

beachfan