• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian Food for Ailing and Sick Folks

Suvir Saran

I am not of Indian descent, but can I play? :smile:

I have heard that it has healing properties, and everytime I eat rasam ( sahru), I feel so good. I think it is because of the asfoetida, onions, and dal--a great protein kick with spices that have excellent medicinal properties.

I learned the recipe from my boyfriend who learned it from his mother and grandmother. But, Hema's rasam is 10 times better. She makes her own rasam powder.

I have heard that Tumeric has anti-cancerous properties.

I was reading the comfort food thread on General Topics, and honestly, I now crave Indian food as such, even though I didn't grow up on dosas, chapatis, etc.

I am not of Indian descent, but can I play?    :smile:

I have heard that it has healing properties, and everytime I eat rasam ( sahru), I feel so good.  I think it is because of the asfoetida, onions, and dal--a great protein kick with spices that have excellent medicinal properties.

I learned the recipe from my boyfriend who learned it from his mother and grandmother.  But, Hema's rasam is 10 times better.  She makes her own rasam powder. 

I have heard that Tumeric has anti-cancerous properties. 

I was reading the comfort food thread on General Topics, and honestly, I now crave Indian food as such, even though I didn't grow up on dosas, chapatis, etc.

You can Certainly play.

And you might be the winner as far as my father is concerned.

Rassam is the one thing he craves. And it the only thing he will eat/drink in any decent quantity.

And yes rassam is just as you describe.

What recipe do you use?

Care to share?

And the rassam I make for my father does not have any tamarind in it.

suvir,

i have this incredible south indian cookbook called dakshin - it's even been sanctioned by my tamilian ma-in-law. it has many rasam recipes in it - including garlic, tamarind, lentil, tomato.

let me know if you are interested in a particular one and i'll post it immediately.

also, here is a fun rasam story. when my sister was preggers (living in bangalore at the time) she had a huge craving for rasam - actually one particular rasam. it was what they served at the taj in bangalore.

what complicated matters is that the taj served it free as a pre-dinner apetizer a la bread in italian restaurants and that the taj was too expensive for my sister and her husband to dine there regularly.

as you can imagine - they had an embarassingly large number of times when they went to the taj, he ordered a coffee, she requested a dinner menu so that they served her rasam and after she'd had a cupful, they left.

after a few weeks of this, they caught on and just indulged her. such sweeties!

suvir,

i have this incredible south indian cookbook called dakshin - it's even been sanctioned by my tamilian ma-in-law. it has many rasam recipes in it  - including garlic, tamarind, lentil, tomato.

Dakshin by Chandra Padmanabhan ( do I remember the name correctly?) is a great Southern Indian cookbook. And pretty photographs as well.

I have two copies at home. In fact I offered to give Vivin one of mine.. but he had found it on the internet.

What are your favorite recipes from it?

I have never cooked from it... read through it and enjoyed the very diverse recipes.

also, here is a fun rasam story. when my sister was preggers (living in bangalore at the time) she had a huge craving for rasam - actually one particular rasam. it was what they served at the taj in bangalore.

what complicated matters is that the taj served it free as a pre-dinner apetizer a la bread in italian restaurants and that the taj was too expensive for my sister and her husband to dine there regularly.

as you can imagine - they had an embarassingly large number of times when they went to the taj, he ordered a coffee, she requested a dinner menu so that they served her rasam and after she'd had a cupful, they left.

after a few weeks of this, they caught on and just indulged her. such sweeties!

Only in India! Do you think one could get away with this in many places??? :blink:

What kind of rassam was it?

if i recall correctly, the taj rasam was the basic tomato-lentil.

from dakshin - i've tried many recipes, but i especially love the aviyal (which i think is a wonderfully comforting when one is sick, simple yet sublime) and the tomato chutney and the garlic (poondu) rasam.

let me know if there is any recipe you would like me to post while you are separated from your cookbook.

growing up, the foods i most remember as being incredibly comforting when i was sick are:

thin tomato soup with ginger and a curry leaves and cumin tarka, lots of black pepper

soji - a thinnish upama with just onions, tomatoes, semolina and cilantro.

plain rice, plain cooked toor dal and ghee

and ofcourse, the quintessential

milk with turmeric, honey and curry leaves, which i hated (because i dislike milk) but which always made my throat feel so much better

i think it is wonderful that you are making food a part of your father's healing.

if i recall correctly, the taj rasam was the basic tomato-lentil.

from dakshin - i've tried many recipes, but i especially love the aviyal (which i think is a wonderfully comforting when one is sick, simple yet sublime) and the tomato chutney and the garlic (poondu) rasam.

let me know if there is any recipe you would like me to post while you are separated from your cookbook.

growing up, the foods i most remember as being incredibly comforting when i was sick are:

thin tomato soup with ginger and a curry leaves and cumin tarka, lots of black pepper

soji - a thinnish upama with just onions, tomatoes, semolina and cilantro.

plain rice, plain cooked toor dal and ghee

and ofcourse, the quintessential

milk with turmeric, honey and curry leaves, which i hated (because i dislike milk) but which always made my throat feel so much better

i think it is wonderful that you are making food a part of your father's healing.

Food is a necessary and welcome distraction.

It also gives me nutrition to fight these trying times. And brings me closer to this wonderful family of eGulleteers that is so very generous and kind.

I love upma.

Maybe you will start a thread on Upma. And share a recipe? That would be great.

I also have made copious sums of Poha in these last couple of weeks. Everyone seems to be happy eating it in these times.

My knowledge of Indian cooking is just about zippo, but what about eggs?

Are they contra-indicated for your father?

I know that in Thailand, visitors bring those in hospital egg dishes (as did my Thai friends when I had my children). As my friend Vipa says "lots of bang for the buck."

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

In the Philippines, there is a strong ginger tea made to relieve coughs and sore throats which is sweetened with honey or sugar. It is called salabhat. I'm sure there's something similar in other Asian countries.

In the Philippines, there is a strong ginger tea made to relieve coughs and sore throats which is sweetened with honey or sugar.  It is called salabhat.  I'm sure there's something similar in other Asian countries.

Wimpy, in my cookbook I share the recipe for a tea like you mention.

My mother begins her morning with a ginger tea. And she has it with honey and lemon.

How is the Philipines version made? Would you mind sharing the recipe? :smile:

Hi Suvir,

Hope your Dad's doing better btw.  Sorry, but I'll have to ask my grandmother and check how its' made.  I've had it before but I've never made it myself.

:biggrin:

Thanks! Please thank your grandma in advance for her help with this.

Kichadi or mung dal & rice is my hasband's big craving when he isn't well. I have to make it by the vat!

Mung dal is what my dad is having.

Khicadi is the other thing he enjoys.

How do you make yours?

Khicadi is the other thing he enjoys.

How do you make yours?

Simple, simple, simple. That seems to be his family's favorite way with kichadi when they are ill.

For 3-4:

1 cup rice

1 cup mung dal

5 cups water

3/4 tsp. turmeric

1 1/2 tsp. salt

Rinse rice and dal very well. Put all ingredients in a pressure cooker, and cook for 20 minutes. Sometimes some water needs to be added.

For the mung dal, I just cover it with water, add several slices of ginger, and turmeric. I add water, if necessary, to get the right consistency. Then salt when tender. I make a vaghar of oil, cumin seed, and a little red chili.