• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Asian Groceries in Central NJ

helenas

I usually shop at "Asian Food Center" in Middletown, route 35.

But today i discovered "Hong Kong Supermarket" on Route 18 in East(?) Brunswick. Kind of mall, which hosts sushi place, asian bookstore, pharmacy and a big supermarket. Very clean, great fish and meat selection. I bought grouper steaks, some funny mushrooms, and several bags of our favorite dry fish.

There's another branch of the Hong Kong chain on Park Avenue just off Oak Tree at the Edison/N. Plainfield border. I was there for the first time yesterday, and was impressed by the fish and the canned items, but not by the produce (didn't check out the meat). I haven't been to the one on Route 18, but assume it took over what had been another oriental supermarket called Park Market right near Pier One and (I think) Lohmann's.

On Route One in Edison just south of Old Post Road is Kam Man, which I like a lot, esp for the produce. There's another Korean market just around the corner on Post Road, tucked into a shopping center on the north side of the street.

Finally, I've lately been going to a place I think is called "Asian Supermarket" in a shopping center on Scudders Mill Road in (I think) Plainsboro. It's got most all the things I look for at Kam Man, and usually the produce is excellent. The hot take out looks good, but I've not tried it.

What about South Asian groceries?

I actually find that the Garden Farm Markets (Korean-run, I think) have most of the produce I need (wonderful little Indian eggplants), but not the spices, herbs, canned goods and other "specialty items".

Add to the list:

I think it's called "Oriental Food Market" on Route 34 in Aberdeen across from the Strathmore Town Square mall. It's tiny and every square inch is occupied by tins, bottles, boxes, fresh vegs, fishes, frozen food, utensils, china . . . It's mind boggling all the stuff they fit into that place. All kinds of common, weird and wonderful Asian products.

• 1 month later...

I agree with nervousnelli. The "Oriental Food Market" mentioned previously is named Hop Shing. It's located in the same shopping complex as McDonald's on Rt. 34. They have a friendly staff and take extra steps to make your shopping experience pleasurable. This is the only store that I know of that would actually inspect their vegetables, wipe it clean of any dirt left on the stems, and package it nicely into individual bags.

My shopping experiences there had always been great.

Going to Lee's Grocery (Hop Shing) has always been a pleasant experience for my family and I. Yakan is right! The staff is very friendly and makes you feel special as their customer. You can even go there and tell them what you want from Chinatown and they will get it for you!! They have such a wide range of Asian foods available that i do all my grocery shopping there! :smile:

• 8 months later...

I would be very careful of the Kam Man on Rt 1 in Edison. They have been closed down by the Health Dept. for filthy conditions. Many times food samples fall on the floor, it's picked up and put back into the free tasting piles. The place is never really very clean, and usually has an awful 'rest room' odor

http:/www.etuinc.com

Thank you for this listing. Altho I live in Northern NJ, I like to check-out other areas. I've passed one on Rt. 22, that someone mentioned (Asian something) but have never gone there.

At one time, the owner of Maxim's in NNJ, had a large place on Rt. 18 in the Brunswick area, complete with a food court with different and separate counters, featuring Northern Chinese food, Cantonese, Taiwanese, Japanese, noodles, etc. It was a pig-out delight) However it wasn't opened too long. That owner has opened 3 different stores and they all have closed. I wonder where she is now.

nervousnelli.------ I love those small places where every inch of space is used. Before the large markets opened up, it was that type of store I would go to, if I didn't go into the city. They were jammed packed on weekends, as that was when the fresh produce came in, but there was rarely anything you needed that you couldn't find! Amazing!

I beg to differ about Kam Man in Edison.

I don't know whether the assertion about being closed by the health department is true or not, but I go in there every few weeks and have never seen or smelled anything that made me nervous. I buy mostly fish and vegetables, but also fresh noodles and condiments, and everything is always fresh and seems to be properly handled. I look at the meat and it always looks fine, too.

Here is a list of addresses & phone numbers of places that have been mentioned + some others, with comments where appropriate.

Asian Food Centers:

965 US Highway 22

North Plainfield, NJ 07060

908-668-8382

The most convenient for me and a good standby--about the size of a normal grocery store, with a bakery, hot food takeout, sushi basics, and housewares.

--

1723 State Highway 27 North

Edison, NJ 08817

732-819-8139

The benchmark for me before HAR in Ridgefield--huge, with a substantial dry-goods section for most regions in Asia, nice dishes, produce is better than supermarkets but inferior to HAR or Garden Farm Market.

--

1281 State Route 35

Middletown, NJ 07748

732-957-1888

--

660 Plainsboro Road

Plainsboro, NJ 08536

609-799-1828

Four Seasons Thai Cuisine & Oriental Grocery

1353 Stelton Road

Piscataway, NJ 08854

www.pad-thai.com

732-819-8787

Garden (State) Farm Markets:

www.gardenfarmmarket.com

80 Fulton Street

Edison, NJ 08817

732-572-7999

--

2549 Route 1 South

North Brunswick, NJ 08902

732-940-9877

Love this place--used to work a block away. The best and cheapest produce anywhere including HAR. Got perfect Asian pears for 99¢ each. Fresh fish & meat, sushi bar, overpriced dry goods, mini-Anglo section with Portuguese rolls, yogurt, soda, and a florist. Very popular with the locals, not just foodies.

--

927 West Kelly Street

Woodbridge, NJ 08840

732-906-0506

I haven't been there--it's not clear from the website whether it's open yet, but the menu on their site is all Italian sandwiches!?

Hanahreum Farms

518 Old Post Road Suite 14

Edison, NJ 08817

732-248-8586

As discussed in this thread, this is an independently owned franchise of the magnificent HAR. Quality unknown.

Hong Kong Supermarket

265 State Route 18

East Brunswick, NJ 08816

732-651-8288

Kam Man Food Inc

511 Old Post Road

Edison, NJ 08817

732-248-9611

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

I beg to differ about Kam Man in Edison.

I don't know whether the assertion about being closed by the health department is true or not, but I go in there every few weeks and have never seen or smelled anything that made me nervous. I buy mostly fish and vegetables, but also fresh noodles and condiments, and everything is always fresh and seems to be properly handled. I look at the meat and it always looks fine, too.

Unfortunatly, I've been there when they were closed down by the Health Dept. The odors emitting from the rest room area were overpowering, flies were everywhere, and the fish and meat counters at that time were crusted over and in bad shape. The day I was there, notices were being posted on the doors, and employees were doing some strenous cleaning. All the customers were told to leave the premisies. Things may be better now, but I'm not sure.

Edited by MsSumida (log)

http:/www.etuinc.com

• 11 months later...

I finally made my way to Kam Man today and was very disappointed.

I mean nothing is wrong with the store itself - it's very clean and well stocked but

i was expecting some extensive selection of korean and japanese products but the store stocked items that were no different from Hong Kong or Asian Food Center stores i frequent.

I would say that among three of them HK Supermarket boasts the best selection of fish and seafood, while Asian Food Center has a wider selection of chinese greens.

I'm on a particular quest for some japanese paste that my husband brought from Japan and that i couldn't locate so far. My next stop would be Hanahreum.