• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Such a deal on sushi - Los Angeles

Lord Lipitor

I ate last night for the second time at Saito Restaurant, a funky sushi bar in a mini-mall in Silver Lake (4339 Sunset). I have to declare this place what my ancestors would have called "such a deal."

While not the best or most creative sushi in the LA area, it is very very good. Four of us ordered oomakase which started with two different sashimis, then migrated to a broiled butter fish, which I understand is the same as black cod (a superb specialty of the house), then two platters of sushi including the best Spanish mackerel I have had in a long time. It's been my observation that Spanish mackerel has to be even fresher than most sushi and this was.

We also had three large bottles of their house sake (decent enough) and the usual oranges for desert with one order of green tea ice cream (we were stuffed). The total for all this for four -- $143 without tip. I left a big one and still felt I got off cheap. The place was half empty the whole time we were there. Why this place isn't jammed, I have no idea.

You could be right, but I didn't notice that. Had another decent sushi meal last night at Mako in the Weller Court in Little Tokyo. The place bills itself as a combination sushi/eel (unagi) restaurant. Not surprisingly, a freshwater eel appetizer prepared with tofu and shitaki mushrooms was the best thing my wife and I ate. Sushi was pretty good but not as good as Saito, also slightly more expensive. Parking at Weller Court, however, is free with validation and they have that fabulous Japanese bookstore for browsing. Makes a nice evening.

The name of the bookstore is Kinokuniya- truly, truly fabulous.

(We are big anime fans). Will have to try Mako - we always end up at Surhiro on First St. - while not the best, a long time sentimental fav for nabeyaki udon and broiled sardines, especially late at nite.

We need to find courage, overcome

Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction