• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amish Sausage links

menton1

I have made a few trips to Lancaster, Pa and done the Amish country tourist thing. Among the memorable experiences was a Saturday morning visit to the Central Market in the center of Lancaster. Several vendors there sell cold cut type meats, but what pleased me most were some smoky sausage-type links, tasting a little like pepperoni, but a little softer and much smokier. These links are about 3/4 inch in diameter, and about 4 inches long. They are tied together. They are ready to eat, no cooking.

I often dream about these little tasty links, but I live in NJ, and Lancaster is a long ride. Can anyone better identify these links for me, and is there a place maybe in Philly, or anybody in the Amish country that will mail order? (I did not see them at the Reading Market). Thanks very much.

Stoltzfus has a web site.

I also remember an Amish market next to the Strawbridge's on Baltimore Pike in Ardmore. For 15 years I went there once a year for the Christmas turkey, but haven't been back since my in-laws passed away. It might not be there any more.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Beiler's Fresh Meats in the Amish Farm Market on Route 27, just a bit north of Kingston and a bit south of New Brunswick will have what you're looking for. In fact, this is one of the best meat markets in New Jersey. I regularly drive there from Edison for sausages, cold cuts, and roasts.

Other stands in the market have wonderful poultry, pickles, and preserves.

Skip the greasy snack bar.

Beiler's Fresh Meats in the Amish Farm Market on Route 27, just a bit north of Kingston and a bit south of New Brunswick will have what you're looking for. In fact, this is one of the best meat markets in New Jersey. I regularly drive there from Edison for sausages, cold cuts, and roasts.

Other stands in the market have wonderful poultry, pickles, and preserves.

Skip the greasy snack bar.

Please, more info. What are the hours and days open for this market?

Thanks, everyone, but a few comments:

Erie1-- No, I know Landjaeger, it's readily available here in Jersey, it has a rectangular shape, not what I was thinking of-- different flavor.

Holly-- No, I've tried the Reading Market as I said in the original post.

byarvin-- This sounds interesting. But do you have more specific information, please-- exactly where is this Rte 27 market, and when is it open? Is it open all year round? By the way, Beiler's is also in Lancaster, but over there they are only a bakery-- they do not have any meats.

Thanks again to all.