• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greek Restaurant near Chalk Farm

A few years back I went with some friends to a wonderful Greek restaurant, it was about 2-3 blocks from the Chalk Farm Tube station. Does anybody know if the place is still there, and what is the name and address? Thanks very much!

Actually the food at Lemonia and its nearby sister Limani is very ordinary. It's a good example of how good ambience can overcome the limitations of the cuisine. The denizens of Chalk Farm/Primrose Hill wanted a local Greek to recreate their Greek island holidays and, being a wealthier group, enjoyed a slightly more upmarket atmosphere than was available in the more basic tavernas of Camden Town and Charlotte St.

Nothing wrong with that of course, and I enjoyed several meals there myself, but the fact is that the food itself is as basic and as ordinary as every other Greek Taverna type restaurant around town.

From years ago, I would contend that it was at least better than the Charlotte Street/Rathbone Place ventures, but my memory is fallible. Another slightly better than average Greek taverna was some joint near Exmouth Market. Ring any bells with anyone?

I agree Lemonia has a good atmosphere but sometimes rather ordinary food. Specials can be the best bet - I had an unusual and rather good hare dish there a couple of months ago. Quite good wine list, if not in the Real Greek league.

Absolutely concur with Mr Rayner. Rodos (59 St Giles High St WC2, Tel. 020 7836 3177) is very old school in that they don't give a damn about modern trends or decor (I've been going there for 22 years and it doesn't seem to have changed a bit, or indeed seen a lick of paint, in that time), but they do care a lot about the food. Sadly its continuing existence is threatened by crack dealers taking over the neighbourhood, so please go there and support while it's still with us.