• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Two-tone Oreos

Ellen Shapiro

why is it that the original Oreos cannot sucessfully be cloned?

I've had several brands of Oreo knockoffs recently, including  Newman-O's by Newman Organics and the "365" brand, both sold at Whole Foods.

Both suck. They cant seem to get the burnt chocolate flavor right, and their fillings are too sacchariny sweet and dont match the consistency of the original filling.

Is it something about the pursuit of making stuf organic that screws up whatever chemical dynamic the Oreos have?

Well, Hydrox never got it right either.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

why is it that the original Oreos cannot sucessfully be cloned?

I've had several brands of Oreo knockoffs recently, including  Newman-O's by Newman Organics and the "365" brand, both sold at Whole Foods.

Both suck. They cant seem to get the burnt chocolate flavor right, and their fillings are too sacchariny sweet and dont match the consistency of the original filling.

Is it something about the pursuit of making stuf organic that screws up whatever chemical dynamic the Oreos have?

Well, Hydrox never got it right either.

Yes, Hydrox (why did they have to choose a cookie name that sounds like posionous rocket fuel?) sucks too. But you think Paul Newman with all his money and spending all this time and effort to get organic ingredients from little farmers in 3rd world countries would at least make a cookie that tastes good.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

um, since we're on the topic. WHY THE HECK ARE SPRING OREOS PURPLE THIS YEAR???!!!!!!!!!????? Whatever happened to "spring-sky blue" creme filling, or the "baby chick yellow". I love oreos (single-stuf only please) but purple is just not a very springy color....  :sad:

ohmigod I saw those yesterday they weren't pretty the purple was a bit grayish v. scary.

so sad to hear about the coffee oreos was interested in trying those though can be a bit of a purist not wanting to stray too far from the ideal oreo ( don't do double stuff) though when I was growing up my grandparents had hydrox in stead of oreos 'casue they're kosher.

Wasn't too sure about the mint ones as am a huge fan of grasshoppers (do they still even make those?)

my cookie consumption has ebbed significantly the past few years but every so often reach for oreos, mallomars or grasshoppers and eat the whole box in a day or two, which is why I no longer keep cookies

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

My father used to work for NABISCO and he took me to the bakery in Philly. Yes, I had an OREO right off the belt coming out of the oven! yum yum yum yum

Also note that it is VERY clean and sanitary in there.

um, since we're on the topic. WHY THE HECK ARE SPRING OREOS PURPLE THIS YEAR???!!!!!!!!!????? Whatever happened to "spring-sky blue" creme filling, or the "baby chick yellow". I love oreos (single-stuf only please) but purple is just not a very springy color....  :sad:

ohmigod I saw those yesterday they weren't pretty the purple was a bit grayish v. scary.

I saw them the other day too. Looked like decomposing flesh in a sealed room durring a Chicago summer.

Edited by elyse (log)

Guess what.  Those wacky folks at Oreo *messed up* and *accidentally* put the chocolate in the creme and left the it out of the cookie.  Uh oh!

Just got back from the grocery store with a bag.  Haven't opened it yet

uhoh_main.gif

What will those Oreo rascal "mess up" next??!!???

Just tried the new "Uh Oh! Oreos". You know -- the ones they *messed up*.

Indeed they did!

They sucked out the flavor.

These are the worst Oreos ever. They're thin, bland, and when you try to screw them apart the chocolate filling sticks to both sides of the cookie instead of neatly adhering to one.

$1.99 down the drain. Or wait, maybe I can mash them up and make some sort of pie crust. Nah.

Time to go vote NO in their "Should we make more?" poll. :angry:

Just tried the new "Uh Oh! Oreos".  You know -- the ones they *messed up*.

Indeed they did!

They sucked out the flavor. 

These are the worst Oreos ever.  They're thin, bland, and when you try to screw them apart the chocolate filling sticks to both sides of the cookie instead of neatly adhering to one. 

$1.99 down the drain.  Or wait, maybe I can mash them up and make some sort of pie crust.  Nah.

Time to go vote NO in their "Should we make more?" poll.  :angry:

Oh, dear! So sorry you had to be the taste-test subject for what sounds like a very appalling excuse for an Oreo. :sad:

But you've performed a good deed (albeit an unintentional one) in that you've saved many of us from wasting $1.99 . . .