• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Two-tone Oreos

Ellen Shapiro

Cool. They even have recipes on the Nabisco web site for using these things.

http://www.oreo.com/oreo/or_recipe.htm

The Oreo web site also has lots of cool free video games can play. I particularly like "Super Snack 500", a NASCAR racing game where you race cars with various Nabisco products emblazoned on them.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Trivia question -- in what movie was the breakfast of choice a big bowl of oreos and milk?

And do you break the cookies in half so the cream is on one side? Which half do you eat first? Do you lick the cream? Me - yes, bald side, yes -- when i was 10 years old.

As close to scientific taste test as I can offer: 6 kids in the house during a recent snow day. A bag of mint, pb, and regular.

Regular disappearred right after lunch, PB was gone by dinner, still 1/2 bag of the mint left.

Fried Oreo's are the best!!!

The Man, The Myth

TapItorScrapIt.com

Yup.

BF-Oreo-Sign.jpgBF-OreoBite.jpg

What upsets me is that all these great advances in Oreos has happened over the past year starting about the same time that, per my doctor, I really shouldn't be eating them.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

um, since we're on the topic. WHY THE HECK ARE SPRING OREOS PURPLE THIS YEAR???!!!!!!!!!????? Whatever happened to "spring-sky blue" creme filling, or the "baby chick yellow". I love oreos (single-stuf only please) but purple is just not a very springy color.... :sad:

"Things go better with cake." -Marcel Desaulniers

timoblog!

I love oreos (single-stuf only please) but purple is just not a very springy color....

To me, purple is a much more spring-like color than sky blue or yellow. Come spring, I'm surrounded by purple - we have a wisteria trellis and a lilac bush.

Oreos just aren't my thing, unless they're the fudge-covered variety. Well, yeah, I'll eat Oreos if they're around, just to keep down the clutter... :smile: When I'm craving store-bought sandwich cookies, I go for Keebler's E.L. Fudge - which also comes in spring colors.

The absolute best oreos are fudge-covered. Keep them in the fridge for a real treat. The box doesn't last too long in our house!

What brownie said -- those fudge-covered Oreos blow my skirt up every single time!!

And when I'm in the grip of raging hormonal imbalances, I coat 'em with a thick layer of Twist 4 Kids' Peanut Butter and Chocolate spread. Around my house, this concoction is known as the Cookie of Evil. :biggrin:

And when I'm in the grip of raging hormonal imbalances, I coat 'em with a thick layer of Twist 4 Kids' Peanut Butter and Chocolate spread. Around my house, this concoction is known as the Cookie of Evil.

That's frightening.

And yet...

I wonder how Oreos coated with Nutella would taste?

my hormonal imbalance cure: homemade chocolate chip cookies slathered with 1/2" of whipped cream

If those disappoint there's alway Double Stuf.  :biggrin:

I am all about the double stuf. It's the stuff not the cookie, that I like to eat (sort of like the frosting instead of the cake). And yes, those fudge covered Oreos should be illegal. The white chocolate covered Oreos could send any self respecting sugar addict into sugar shock--they're too much even for me.

Ellen Shapiro

www.byellen.com

And when I'm in the grip of raging hormonal imbalances, I coat 'em with a thick layer of Twist 4 Kids' Peanut Butter and Chocolate spread. Around my house, this concoction is known as the Cookie of Evil.

That's frightening.

And yet...

my hormonal imbalance cure: homemade chocolate chip cookies slathered with 1/2" of whipped cream

I concur: The Cookie of Evil is indeed frightening.

Oh, and I call tell you how Oreos taste coated with Nutella. In a word, Dionysian . . .

The chocolate-chip-cookie-slathered-with-a-half-of-whipped-cream idea is inspired; I shall try it when next my hormones run amok.

That's frightening.

And yet...

I concur: The Cookie of Evil is indeed frightening.

Oh, and I call tell you how Oreos taste coated with Nutella. In a word, Dionysian . . .

The chocolate-chip-cookie-slathered-with-a-half-of-whipped-cream idea is inspired; I shall try it when next my hormones run amok.

With all this talk about oreos I ended up in the cookie aisle at the grocery store this morning. There is now a new box of fudgecovered Oreos in my refrigerator at this very moment. I wonder how long it will last??? Somehow I couldn't bring myself to try a new variety. Maybe next trip.

I like the fudge mint covered Oreos. I like them at room temperature. I chew off all the fudgy mint coating first. Then I pry off the top cookie and eat it. Next, I lick the cream off and finally, eat the remaining cookie. I like making my junk food LAST! Of course, I can't manage to eat like that in public. It's too embarrassing. In public, I'd rather not eat the Oreo.

I have specific ways I like to eat Reese's Peanut Butter Cups too - and Kit Kats - and Almond Joys - and just about any other treat too. :blink:

• 1 month later...

why is it that the original Oreos cannot sucessfully be cloned?

I've had several brands of Oreo knockoffs recently, including Newman-O's by Newman Organics and the "365" brand, both sold at Whole Foods.

Both suck. They cant seem to get the burnt chocolate flavor right, and their fillings are too sacchariny sweet and dont match the consistency of the original filling.

Is it something about the pursuit of making stuf organic that screws up whatever chemical dynamic the Oreos have?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I thought the mint-vanilla Oreos were gross. They were too sweet, throwing off the delicate balance of Oreo flavors. The peanut butter-chocolate ones are OK, and you even get that phlegmy feeling in the back of your throat like you do with Real peanut butter. I haven't tried the coffee ones because I hate coffee.

Note: the content filter at my work blocks oreo.com. Huh.

Jennie