• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 1)

maggiethecat

I count 52.

More on the way. I have been reading the thread on the top 10 and see some obvious gaps.

Amazon here I come... AAAAARGH!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I count about 103 here in my apartment. That's all my kitchen can hold without additional shelving.

There's another 53 in boxes at home base in Milwaukee.

5 on order (including the De Groot -- thanks John Whiting!).

Grand total: 161

Since I've been outed by Jason and NSM, I admit to having rooms full including some that are on loan to other eGulleteers. I tried counting, but I felt a little like Rain Man. So, I did an estimate and I think there are about 3750 in my apartment. They cover 3 rooms and a hallway and I know where to find most titles. I enjoy them all, even the way they look on the shelves. Over the years, I've sold and given away hundreds more.  People often ask me which I'd keep if I could only have 5 or 10 or 25. My answer changes often, but always includes my signed Julia Child's and my mother's Toll House Recipes. I know many people say that a good cookbook should be covered with stains from use in the kitchen, but I like to keep mine clean. I copy a recipe that I want to use onto a 5x8 index card to take into the kitchen. Then I can file it or toss it depending on the result. All in all, not a bad little hobby.

Dear Judy, thank you for making me feel like I'm no longer a freak :raz: . By the way, I have 3 rooms-full plus hallway like you. I used to keep a record on computer, but the computer died and it was too much like hard work to start again. My book acquisition rate has gone right down in the last year or two, mainly due to space considerations, but also financial.

I am in the early stages of lending books to e-gulleteers - not a problem as yet, but I can foresee the need for a special e-gullet lending library thread to keep track of books and their borrowers.

v

"Now that we're finding out the general number of books owned within this group, I'd like to know how many actual titles are represented!" (kitwilliams)

anything any one of us own will probably be represented in heyjude's and vanessa's collections - with the exception of a few books in finnish, danish, inuit, urdu...? so, an unscientific guess would be around 4000. or perhaps a little more.

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.

233, I also have a modest collection at my mother's house, that I visit. I'm not supposed to be adding another bookshelf, we will be moving in the summer, so for the last year, it's been-'one in, one out', donations to the local library, probably around 20-odd books (& that is really hard to do, the Bernachon chocolate book, well-aged vegetarian tomes, etc.)...

Linda

So are we all members of The Good Cook Club?

After reading this thread, I think I need to allow them to send me a book at least once a month.

Total aside here, but I've had nothing but problems with the Good Cook book club and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Can't wait to buy my final book and have done with it.

So are we all members of The Good Cook Club?

After reading this thread, I think I need to allow them to send me a book at least once a month.

Total aside here, but I've had nothing but problems with the Good Cook book club and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Can't wait to buy my final book and have done with it.

I am not a member, so I didn't want want to badmouth Good Cook. But almost everything I have heard from friends bears out what JAZ said. Does my saying that make me a bad person? :sad::unsure: