• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 1)

maggiethecat

3 more for me - 2 new (facsimile edition of Mrs. Beeton's and Inn at Little Washington, personally autographed to me :biggrin: ), and 1 old that I forgot to count last time.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

The one Cookbook, that I often just look at for the Pictures more then the content is my signed edition of "les diners de Gala",or "Gala-Dali Gastronomique", by "Salvadore Dali", in 1973 when he was 68 years old. I have the "English Translation" that was translated by "Captain J. Peter Moore", and publised by Felice, Inc. New York.  The ISBN # 0-9600692-1-6

Since i've kept this Book in it's original package, but have perused it often as the Drawing and Photograpy are exceptional i'm curious if it has become a rare collectable book.

Putting on my bibliophile hat for a moment -

It's "scarce", not "rare", and is worth (assuming condition is good or better) roughly $700 signed.

My girlfriend adores this book, and I nearly bought it for her last Christmas, but I couldn't find a copy in the right condition.

Off-topic, I recently saw Dali in a best-forgotten movie from 1970 called Myra Brekinridge (based on Gore Vidal's book). He (Dali) kept turning up at parties, sitting and smoking. Movie also had Rex Reed (who knew he acted?), Mae West, Tom Selleck (playing a stud to Mae West), a very young Farrah Fawcett, and a very beautiful Racquel Welch. It was a terrible, terrible movie, but campy and fun. And it had Dali.

The one Cookbook, that I often just look at for the Pictures more then the content is my signed edition of "les diners de Gala",or "Gala-Dali Gastronomique", by "Salvadore Dali", in 1973 when he was 68 years old. I have the "English Translation" that was translated by "Captain J. Peter Moore", and publised by Felice, Inc. New York.  The ISBN # 0-9600692-1-6

Since i've kept this Book in it's original package, but have perused it often as the Drawing and Photograpy are exceptional i'm curious if it has become a rare collectable book.

Putting on my bibliophile hat for a moment -

It's "scarce", not "rare", and is worth (assuming condition is good or better) roughly $700 signed.

My girlfriend adores this book, and I nearly bought it for her last Christmas, but I couldn't find a copy in the right condition.

I bought mine, unsigned, for about $200 -- take a look at my website: http://www.geocities.com/carolyntillie

Several years ago, I prepared a 10-course meal out of this cookbook, and documented the event.

and the only one I've never seen before:Ingredients by Loukie Werle and Jill Cox. This is the German edition of an Australian book

October Savuer magazine lists this as a must have - though out of print. Good find!

Ah yes. Ingredients says this about Ostrich's Egg:

Larger than an emu's egg, [they are pictured next to each other] with a thick shell.  Use in the same way as hen's eggs, in making scrambled eggs and in baking cakes.

:laugh:

Also good along the same lines are:

The World Encyclopedia of Cooking Ingredients by Christine Ingram (republished in paperback as Cooking Ingredients) and

The Visual Food Encyclopedia, although this one is very strangely organized.

HUh ?, what's this mean?

She's providing a running total of the cookbooks confessed in this thread.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Add another 3 for me. That Wolfert slow cooking book got me. And then that damned "people who bought this also bought..." caused me to add another 2 Wolfert books to my collection. :blink:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

2 more for me. I went to Strand today. Came home with David Leibovitz's Ripe for Dessert and a food history book called Eat My Words, Reading Women's Lives Through the Cookbooks They Wrote by Janet Theopano -- looks interesting.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Okay, 4 more for me:

Nancy Zaslavsky's A Cook's Tour of Mexico

Pepin's Complete Techniques

Paula Peck's The Art of Fine Baking

Paula Wolfert's Mediterranean Cooking

Oh wait. 2 more (for re-upping with local PBS station):

Here in America's Test Kitchen and 365 Quick Tips from them as well.

BTW,  there's a void in my collection. With respect to my participation here, i think it's time to close the gap:

Is there a not too big, but still comprehensive US-American cookbook about traditional and/or regional dishes?

David Rosengarten has a new book called It's All American Food, The Food we Really Eat, the Dishes we will Always Love. It's broken out into 3 categories - Ethnic American, Regional and Classic American. I skimmed it quickly in the bookstore and might be what you're looking for.

Another one is Sheila Lukens USA Cookbook.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I had a good thrift store find yesterday.

Scored a complete set of all, Jeff Smiths, "Frugal Goumet's", volumes. Covered and Signed.

"Texas Cook Book", with recipes and Texas Trivia.

"Louisiana Kitchen", by "Paul Prudhommes, with Cover and University Bookstore pricetag. Copyright 1984 in very good condition.

Average price $1.50 per volume.

Since i've been visiting thrift stores, as many as 5 on some days if there are any books that Seattle area folks are interested in. i'll be glad to keep a eye out for any you're seeking. My thriftstore jaunts are spent grabing something to read, while waiting for my friend to shop for items that will be sent to her community charity in Russia, so i'd be glad to have something to occupy the time. Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

48, 054. 

(Kris, you are in serious denial, ma chere! :biggrin: )

You are very right! :blink::biggrin:

I picked up another at Costco yesterday..........

East European Kitchen

None of my other 200 books cover this particular area and it was only \880 (about $8)......... :wacko:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I've just purchased some type of mixture., I'm serious it in brand new condition. But i'm not sure what Catagory it belongs to. It's a combination of Videos and a Book, plus a letter from the USDA.

"Cooking A World of New Tastes", USDA Training Videos and a 112 page referancw guide. There's no ISBN, but it's published by the USDA Food and Nutrition Service 1998. The letter is from: Shirley Watkins a USDA , Under Secretary. There are Four Sealed Videos, and it's all put together in a interesting plastic box to appear in book form. the outside cover has printed 1998 FNS 304 and a symbol "TEAM" Nutrition USA. there's also aemblem stating. Telly Awards Winner 1998.

Is this the type of thing that is worthwhile keeping in it's as new condition? Should I play the Videos ? Is it better to just keep this, or is it worth trading or selling. If it was just a cookbook, then i'd simply enjoy reading. But since I'm one of the rare persons without a video player i'd rather get advice.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Another excursion into one of my "rooms of the lost and mislaid books" have yielded this treasure trove. This is just like Christmas :biggrin: . Thus add another 13 including:

"Craig Claiborne's Favorites", vols 1-4 (1975-1978)..............his N.Y.T. columns from that period

"Back to Square One", Joyce Goldstein (1992)

"The Oxford Companion to Food" (1999)

"Trader Vic's Pacific Island Cookbook" (1968)

"The Biker Cookbook", by Spuds Murphy (1998) ........ :rolleyes: ......don't know where that one came from.

"The Prudhomme Family Cookbook" (1987)

"Low Cost Gourmet Cooking", by Ted and Jean Kaufman (1967)

"Cook Until Done", by George Bradshaw and Ruth Norman (1962)..............a great little book...............fun to read. It and "Low Cost Gourmet Cooking" were the first two cookbooks I bought myself......$.60 each NEW in late '60's :smile:

"The Complete Book of Soups and Stews" by Bernard Clayton, Jr. (1984)

"Loving Food" by Sara Jane Kasperzak (1991)

Bill Benge

Moab, Utah

"I like eggs", Leon Spinks

As I was re-filing the collection the other night, I found one I'd left off the list -- The African-American Heritage Cookbook by Carolyn Quick Tillery -- so I guess you have to add one more for me. That brings my total to an even 600. And I should soon be receiving a copy of another one I worked on: Throw Me a Bone, a charming book of recipes to cook for your dog. So I guess you could add that one, also (even though it's not yet in hand).

And Suman, Oxford Companion definitely does count. :biggrin: